Apple preps 27-inch LED Cinema Display, dodeca-core Mac Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is putting the finishing touches on a pair of new products targeted at its professional customers, namely a larger version of its LED Cinema Display and a major update to its Mac Pro workstations, AppleInsider has been told.

Targeted for release by June is the Cupertino-based company's second LED-backlit Cinema Display, measuring 27-inch diagonal and largely resembling a slightly magnified version of its existing 24-inch model (review), which was introduced to much fanfare back in October of 2008.

Two people familiar with the upcoming display say its been lingering in Apple's labs for quite sometime, where it's frequently referenced by the unique identifier/codename "K59." The Mac maker is believed to have been waiting patiently for the cost of the larger LCD panels, which sport a resolution of 2560 by 1440 pixels, to shed some of their premium before introducing the model to market.

Thanks to the success of its 27-inch iMacs, which sport similar components, Apple's now believed to be in a position to market the display more affordably. The company also recently put behind it problems with the same size panels that slowed the momentum of its larger iMac offerings for several months following their October 2009 introduction.

Meanwhile, Apple is also wrapping up development of its brawniest update to the Mac Pro ever, also slated to arrive by June, despite external reports that inaccurately pegged its release to show up as early as January or as recently as this week.

While details are scarce, people familiar with the matter were stern in stating that Mac maker's plans call for a dodeca-core model, sporting a pair of Intel's latest Westmere-based hexacore chips for a total of 12 cores.

Mockup of Apple's existing 24-inch LED display next to its upcoming 27-inch model.

Though AppleInsider is still awaiting confirmation, it's suggested that Apple will likely stick to its existing Xeon strategy, employing a pair of pricey Xeon 5600 Series "Gulftown" chips into a wallet-crunching dodeca-core Mac Pro, while offering a single processor model with 6 cores at prices similar to today's $2,500 quad-core model.

The 5600 series will be available within the next 45 days in 2.66, 2.8, 2.93, and 3.33GHz configurations, ranging in price from $996 to $1663 in lots of 1000. These new 32 nanometer chips have 12MB of L3 cache, and 6 cores with 12 threads for each CPU. Apple typically bundles the most affordable of these pricey multi-core chips into its standard dual-processor model, offering the higher frequency chips as build-to-order options.

Still, there have been persistent rumors (1, 2, 3) that Apple would abandon its Xeon strategy and adopt two of Intel's $999 3.33GHz Core i7-980X Extreme Edition uniprocessor chips for a 12-core Mac Pro. However, Intel clearly lists this chip as uniprocessor model, meaning the Mac maker would need to adopt a dual motherboard strategy to make that happen.

Outside of potential for cost cutting, the benefits of such a strategy aren't particularly apparent given the low volumes Apple sees in regards to Mac Pro sales.

What else is in Apple's pipeline

Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

Apple plans dual graphics enhancements on future MacBook Pros

Apple to target iPad at business users with added features - sources

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's nice. So how about those MBPs? \
  • Reply 2 of 114
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Would be totally cool if it was housed in a dodecahedron shaped case.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    Any word on any changes to the Mac Pro case design?
  • Reply 4 of 114
    garibagariba Posts: 9member
    Apple is buying AMD, and next Mac Pro will sport at least two Opteron 6000 (Magny- Cours) for a total of 24 cores...

New XServers must show a 48 cores version...

People from PA Semi must integrate really nice...

And CrossFire+ OpenCL will be overkill...
  • Reply 5 of 114
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

There all you naysayers - it's coming and more. Finally we be able to connect a blu-ray to the Mac and the Mac to a HDTV.

And true mutiltasking not just ipod music playing in the background as only people on this site think is real multitasking.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    I hope in these updates! And in a new Mac Pro's case.............. 
  • Reply 7 of 114
    Will the 27" display's case be a wonderful shade of yellow? You know, to fit with the screen.
  • Reply 8 of 114
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

Any word on any changes to the Mac Pro case design?

I don't think so.

The design has been very successful for Apple. They just update the interior hardware. It's not a very commercial product, not like an iMac or iPhone where people would buy a new one every two years or so. Mac Pro stays at schools, large companies, firms and homes of many creative professionals.

Plus, it still fits very well with every Apple Product.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    I'm really interested in the 27" monitor price. With the cheapest 27" iMac rolling in at $1699, they're going to obviously have to have a decent gap from just a monitor. The problem is, the 24" is currently $899... so what can they realistically price the 27" at, assuming they don't drop the price of the 24". $1199? So basically they're saying the rest of the iMac is only worth $500? Will be very interesting...
  • Reply 10 of 114
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

And true mutiltasking not just ipod music playing in the background as only people on this site think is real multitasking.

Okay, using your phone while surfing the internet. That enough multi-tasking for you?

P.S. Probably not for you, because you never seem to be satisfied tho.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    no Mac Pro's in April? Wonder if Intel withheld the CPU's from Apple to make sure there were no more early launches. HP is shipping their new Xeon 5600 based servers March 29th
  • Reply 12 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gariba View Post

Apple is buying AMD, and next Mac Pro will sport at least two Opteron 6000 (Magny- Cours) for a total of 24 cores...

New XServers must show a 48 cores version...

People from PA Semi must integrate really nice...

And CrossFire+ OpenCL will be overkill...

What are you smoking?
  • Reply 13 of 114
    tim68tim68 Posts: 17member
    I just bought two 24" displays a couple months ago because I gave up on Apple releasing a larger display. Just... damn.
  • Reply 14 of 114
    kasakkakasakka Posts: 55member
    Bit of a shame that they're going with the 16:9 format on their top end display models. I think we can all agree that 16:10 is more useful for anything but movies and games.
  • Reply 15 of 114
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    ...when people familiar with matters are "stern". I don't mind it so much when they're firm.

As for using the term "dodeca-core" in an article, I gotta say that's bad journalism.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Okay, using your phone while surfing the internet. That enough multi-tasking for you?

P.S. Probably not for you, because you never seem to be satisfied tho.

I have yet to use that feature ever and really don't see a reason for me needing it. Most people I speak to don't need me to do their research for them while I'm talking to them and I usually know what I'm talking about before I speak. On the other hand when either writing an email or text I can't presently multitask to the internet which is when I really need THAT feature.

To those that use it when speaking on the phone- good for you. That's more an AT&T feature anyway not Apple's.
  • Reply 17 of 114
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

Bit of a shame that they're going with the 16:9 format on their top end display models. I think we can all agree that 16:10 is more useful for anything but movies and games.

Yeah, Apple held out at 16:10 for so long too.

I was really disappointed to see them turn away from the IMO more natural 16:10 towards 16:9 just because of sales or industry pressure or whatever.
  • Reply 18 of 114
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    by *June* ? That would be a little late, wouldn't it? Oh well, not that I really care. I'm perfectly happy with my Nehalem Mac Pro that I bought last year, so it's not like I'd be upgrading. But still... seems like a really long time to go without a major revision to the Mac Pro.

I definitely like the idea of the 27" Cinema Display, although I hope this one will support DVI in addition to mini display port.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

...when people familiar with matters are "stern". I don't mind it so much when they're firm.

As for using the term "dodeca-core" in an article, I gotta say that's bad journalism.

What's wrong with dodeca-core? You prefer duodec-core? I suppose that would be more natural, seeing as one usually uses the latin prefixes, eg. dual core and quad core (which should really be quadri core, but I guess quad is just easier). So yes, unless you're consistently using di-core and tetra-core too, then dodeca-core is a little odd. It's still a valid term though...

---

Regarding the new Mac Pro's. I'd *really* love it if the other part of the old rumour from this fall is true too, namely that it will support up to 128GB RAM. If so, I'll buy one as soon as possible, 'cause then I'll be all set for the next 8-10 years or so.
  • Reply 20 of 114
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hopefully there's also a 21.5" model in the pipeline as a Macbook companion.