Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is on pace to potentially sell more iPads in its first three months than it sold iPhones in the three months after the touch-screen handset made its debut back in 2007, people familiar with the company's running sales totals say.

Since going on sale for pre-order last Friday morning, customers have purchased "hundreds of thousands of the device," those same people told The Wall Street Journal. By comparison, Apple sold roughly 1.2 million iPhones in the three months following its June 29, 2007 launch.

Meanwhile, the newspaper claims that Apple is 'racing' to tie up a broad number of content licensing deals before the iPad officially hits the market in under three weeks. In particular, the company is trying to convince television networks to drop the price of TV shows that users would downloaded directly to the device.

These efforts and others have reportedly seen the Cupertino-based company temporarily reduce its emphasis on working with newspaper, magazines and textbook publishers on new ways to display their digital content.

"But nailing down the content has proven difficult as some potential collaborators weigh the advantages of working with Apple against the potential threats to their current sources of revenue," the Journal said, citing people familiar with the situation.

The report appears to corroborate an independent analysis performed by an online Apple investor community, which estimated that 120,000 iPads were sold on the first day alone, with orders then settling at a pace of roughly 30,000 per day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 219
    Wonderful! O.o
  • Reply 2 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Everyone and their dog will have iPads soon. If you want your content to get exposure you'd better play nice with Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 219
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    OK - let's get this out of the way:

The online investor guys are making up the numbers, their methodology is flawed, they are fan boys trying to drive the release of the iPad to success - because we all know the device is an abject failure.

The iPad suxxors majorly, it doesn't have:

42 UBS ports

a Blu-ray drive

removeable battery

a front-facing camera

a rear facing camera

a cell chip to make phone calls

GPS

support for 1080p

a real keyboard

a real processor

a real OS (just that stoopid pathetic mobile version of OSX)

enough memory

enough storage space

free unlimited 3G

release with Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Alltel, Cellular One, Blue Wireless, Bluegrass Cellular, ad nauseam...

AND

there have been scads of tablet before the iPad

AND

all these early adopters are fanbois who spend too much money for glitzy tech that is just a toy, nobody besides them or the great unwashed masses of clueless consumers who don't worship at the altar of featuredom will buy this.

• Reply 4 of 219
    Yeah, this thing will never take off. Nobody's going to want one.
  • Reply 5 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Everyone and their dog will have iPads soon. If you want your content to get exposure you'd better play nice with Apple.

I'm buying a 16GB 3G iPad for Mother's Day but yet to find a reason to buy one for myself. Still waiting for that "killer app" to appear that makes me say "I've got to have an iPad."
  • Reply 6 of 219
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm buying a 16GB 3G iPad for Mother's Day but yet to find a reason to buy one for myself. Still waiting for that "killer app" to appear that makes me say "I've got to have an iPad."

For me, it was iWork. Keynote and Pages (for notes) in meetings, plus internet is all I need. The rest is gravy.
  • Reply 7 of 219
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Does everyone know fully what they're even buying?
  • Reply 8 of 219
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Honestly, that's pretty impressive for a device that hasn't been used or tested by pretty much anybody.
  • Reply 9 of 219
    msb0014msb0014 Posts: 28member
    Love to see Apple plant stories in the media to expedite negotiations.

Basically... "Hey - we've sold a ton of these and if you want your TV shows and other media on this thing let's get this done! Thanks, Steve. Um, I mean a person familiar with the matter"
  • Reply 10 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
  • Reply 11 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iTunes Remote? If they really do it well? Kick back on the couch, surf, email, and your whole library from your mac is at your fingertips? (to say nothing of the potential of it as a remote for an apple TV!)

This is what I'm waiting for proof of. C'mon steve.
  • Reply 12 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Basically... "Hey - we've sold a ton of these and if you want your TV shows and other media on this thing let's get this done! Thanks, Steve. Um, I mean a person familiar with the matter"

Nice. Apple is airtight when it needs to be and leaks like crazy to its advantage.

Let's face it, we are amplifiers for their PR.
  • Reply 13 of 219
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    What's that old saying- "There's a sucker born every minute."

Steve Jobs is the PT Barnum of the 21st century.

iPad hasn't even been tested yet - what fools.
  • Reply 14 of 219
    vatdorovatdoro Posts: 52member
    The iPad has so many awesome things going for it, if Apple can pull off moderately priced TV, that will just be another huge feature to add to the list.

One quote in here is a little unnerving though. "nailing down the content has proven difficult as some potential collaborators weigh the advantages of working with Apple against the potential threats to their current sources of revenue."

That pretty much sums up what has kept the Apple TV from greatness. Hopefully Apple can strike a deal with content providers. Once it's on the iPad, then it's just a matter of time until they sign deals for Apple TV content. This will be huge.

Hopefully sooner than later.
  • Reply 15 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does everyone know fully what they're even buying?

From the demo during the special event, the website and other news one can get a pretty good idea. Depending on your needs that may not be enough information, but for the one I'm buying, a mother's day gift, it's more than enough data to know this is a good fit for an occasional computer user who would like something simple when they are away from their iMac for several days at a time.
  • Reply 16 of 219
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    And yet another useless Apple-bashing troll hits the ignore list. Good job, you're VERY effective.
  • Reply 17 of 219
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

Nice! Apple sows misinformation to capture mindshare and drive negotiation successes! Awesome!
  • Reply 18 of 219
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    This is an entirely new category midway between a computer and a smart phone. It's not intended to replace your computer. In fact, the iPad is designed to sync with your computer via iTunes on either your Mac or Windows computer.

Apple's betting that they can successfully establish a new category that won't cannibalize sales of their computer or iPhone product line. They don't want it to have all those ports, DVD player, etc.

This is a replacement for stand-alone devices like eBook readers, portable DVD players, portable voice recorders, digital photo frames, etc. It will be better than any laptop in certain situations like watching a movie on an airplane in the coach seats or making a one-on-one sales presentation over lunch at a restaurant.

The Windoze crowd will pan it until Microsoft copies it and put's their name on it. Then they'll want one. That's the way it works with that crowd.
  • Reply 19 of 219
    Yeah right like we are going to believe that numbers from an "online Apple investor community" are going to be even remotely accurate. Until Apple actually releases numbers this means nothing.
  • Reply 20 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

The Windoze crowd will pan it until Microsoft copies it and put's their name on it. Then they'll want one. That's the way it works with that crowd.

HP introduced their Slate before Apple. Which is far more powerful then the iPad.