Apple director Jerome York passes away

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong.

When people discover they are 'worth' billions, it could tend to distort their sense of self-importance.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind and yes I know about his venture capital endeavors and I'm sure it will do VERY well but funding technology startups isn't the same thing as being a being someone who can read and interpret US and/or Global financial markets.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the more I think about it... having Marc on the board would certainly make for some interesting times but again I'm not sure Apple would be as beneficial as they were with Jerry.

I agree. Steve will go with a seasoned Blue Chipper to add to the team.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I'd like to learn more about his role in the transition. His current data is big on personal history, but I'd like to specifically learn about his contribution in turning Apple around. Sounds like you have some knowledge, please - love to hear more.

Thank you for the interest, but I'm not going to detail his career while I was at Apple so someone can add it to Wikipedia or put it in a book.

When his Biography comes you'll read about it. He's a well known figure in business who won't have a shortage of biographers wanting to write about him, in his honor.

I imagine the family will have a biographer in mind and then the many interviews will commence.

Of course, if Fred Anderson, who was a big wig, like Jerry, wants to lament about him it sure would be nice.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Condolences to the survivors.

Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.

I don't think Marc Andreesen is good enough. He's got nothing to contribute.

My choice:

1) Bob Iger - Disney CEO

2) Larry Ellison - Oracle CEO

3) Warren Buffet

4) Jeff Immelt - GE CEO

5) John Chambers - Cisco CEO

6) Rupert Murdoch - Fox CEO
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

I don't think Marc Andreesen is good enough. He's got nothing to contribute.

My choice:

1) Bob Iger - Disney CEO

2) Larry Ellison - Oracle CEO

3) Warren Buffet

4) Jeff Immelt - GE CEO

5) John Chambers - Cisco CEO

6) Rupert Murdoch - Fox CEO

5 out 6 ain't bad!
  • Reply 26 of 37
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.

On the contrary - it's apparently you who doesn't get it. Perhaps you didn't look at the next page following today's corporate header page with Mr. York's photo. That's the news release. See this link:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/03/18york.html

Do you think that Steve Jobs and Apple, Inc. are one and the same and indistinguishable? Some seem to hold that view, which leads to the absurdity that - come the time (not for many years I hope) SJ departs this world - Apple would disappear along with him.

BTW, they're properly called news releases, not press releases. The press is specifically the print segment within the news universe.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When people discover they are 'worth' billions, it could tend to distort their sense of self-importance.

Yea... funny how that work...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I agree. Steve will go with a seasoned Blue Chipper to add to the team.

I tend to agree...

Finally for those interested (since I was) here is some of Marc's thought about print media and not to ruin the surprise the title of the article is "Andreessen’s Advice To Old Media: “Burn The Boats”"

Link: http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/06/and...ia-burn-boats/

Some interesting passages...

Quote:

Andreessen once famously put the New York Times on deathwatch for its stubborn insistence on trying to save and prolong its legacy print business. With all the recent excitement in media quarters recently over Apple’s upcoming iPad and other tablet computers, and their potential to create a market for paid digital versions and subscriptions of newspapers and magazines, I wondered if Andreessen still felt the same way. Does he think the iPad will change anything?

Andreessen asked me if TechCrunch is working on an iPad app or planning on putting up a paywall. I gave him a blank stare. He laughed and noted that none of the newer Web publications (he’s an investor in the Business Insider) are either. “”All the new companies are not spending a nanosecond on the iPad or thinking of ways to charge for content. The older companies, that is all they are thinking about.”

But people pay for apps. Wouldn’t he pay for a beautiful touchscreen version of a magazine? Maybe, if it were something genuinely new that blew him away. It would have to be more than an article with video and graphics though. (I agree, otherwise it’s no better than a CD-ROM).

Oh, and he points out, that the iPad will have a “fantastic browser.” No matter how many iPads the Apple sells, the Web will always be the bigger market. “There are 2 billion people on the Web,” he says. “The iPad will be a huge success if it sells 5 million units.”

He continues to go on about how erecting pay walls is NOT going to save them (the print business that is).

Also a very interesting video from Charlie Rose from about a year ago:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4260403&hl=en#

Where he discusses lots of different things INCLUDING how print based publications (like the times) need to put a stop to their bleeding print editions (and do it 'now' but doesn't begin to address the near term impact that would have so I took it with a grain of salt) and he also speculated that Apple WILL be making an 'iPod Touch/iPhone' with a larger screen (got the size wrong saying it would be 7") but he stated that he'd be the first one online to buy one... So he's clearly not negative about the products potential.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Charlie Rose is a twat, one of the lucky twats that got on the ebb of the .com bubble. Mediocre and uninteresting in every respect. No place for their kind at apple.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Do you think that Steve Jobs and Apple, Inc. are one and the same and indistinguishable? Some seem to hold that view, which leads to the absurdity that - come the time (not for many years I hope) SJ departs this world - Apple would disappear along with him.

Your first remarks were self-aggrandizing and muddled, yet you came back to see if you coudn't dig yourself a deeper hole anyway.

1) Yes, as a matter of fact, Steve Jobs IS Apple. There are many talented people at Apple, but without Jobs they'd be just another company.

2) Yes, as a matter of fact, Apple WILL pretty much fade away once jobs is gone. Not all at once, and maybe not altogether, but in fact the company will no longer be so special after Job leaves (for whatever reason). In the same way, companies like Disney, GE (Edison) and Ford were never the same once their founders were no longer driving them.

Those are the lessons of history which, unfortunately, you seem determined to ignore.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Your first remarks were self-aggrandizing and muddled, yet you came back to see if you coudn't dig yourself a deeper hole anyway.

I simply laid out the facts and accepted journalism standards. But since you seem set on making a personal attack, you wouldn't want facts to get in the way of ignorance, would you?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

1) Yes, as a matter of fact, Steve Jobs IS Apple. There are many talented people at Apple, but without Jobs they'd be just another company.

2) Yes, as a matter of fact, Apple WILL pretty much fade away once jobs is gone. Not all at once, and maybe not altogether, but in fact the company will no longer be so special after Job leaves (for whatever reason). In the same way, companies like Disney, GE (Edison) and Ford were never the same once their founders were no longer driving them.

Those are the lessons of history which, unfortunately, you seem determined to ignore.

I agree that Jobs and the company are one and that without his fire in the belly driving innovation Apple will continue to "live" but it will be like North Korea without a fearless leader (not to put too fine a point on things).
  • Reply 32 of 37
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    RIP Jerome York

My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this extremely sad time.

I know only to well what they would be feeling at the present time I have had two members of my family have the same thing happen the most recent 3 yrs ago was my mum. It is not easy to deal with.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    My (belated) condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and the people at Apple Inc. May he certainly rest in peace.

I was surprised by Apple's mentioning the dark times of 1997...but that is neither here nor there.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.

What was the point of this lucid diatribe? Apple *is* a group of people.. so of course the group can be sad. Don't over think it bub.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family.

ditto

R I P
  • Reply 36 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Apple just put a tribute on their front page.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Apple just put a tribute on their front page.

That's a pretty classy tribute -- and, obviously, Mr. York was a true class-act, the kind of go-getter businessman who was interested in far more than just making money or a name for himself. In whatever role he seemed to take, he wanted to make things work well, and he demonstrated an amazing knack for guiding seemingly-hopeless cases back from the brink. Not too often can one honestly admire an executive, but he was clearly one of the exceptions! He has my thanks and admiration.