Release of Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update appears imminent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theoldcoot View Post

Imminent, meaning when Apple is good and ready to release it. I've been hearing this for the past two months and everytime I do the word "Imminent" is in the sentence.

Ah, it appears that you missed the key qualifier: 'appears.'
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

And your evidence is?

Heh heh. I doubt you'll get an answer.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

If people will remember, Mac OS X 10.0 and 10.1 were in many ways less capable than Mac OS 9. Now Mac OS X has far exceeded what was available in Mac OS 9. QuickTime X is currently less capable than QuickTime 7. But one day it will exceed QuickTime 7.

Exactly! As QT-X is a complete rewrite (just like OS-X), we're going to have to suffer through the growing pains. Not being a developer, I'm very curious to see just how "updated" it will be in this next release. And I'm not expecting miracles just yet; that's why we still have QT-7.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Does it really matter when 10.6.3 is released? None of you losers will be satisfied anyway. You never are. You'll find something bitch and whine about. You always do.

thank you. you took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I wonder if they'll fix my #1 gripe with Snow Leopard. It wakes up printers, cycling on the heater in laser printers, when users select File-Print, even when all we want to do is write a PDF file to disk.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I miss VisualHub. I love adding to my Apple TV movie library. VisualHub was so efficient and high quality. Apparently VH is being redone, but I've tried a few others out there that look similar and others that are more commercial (Popcorn) and nothing gets me that excited.

Nothing that I've seen kept the visual quality high while reducing file size like VH did. I would think that this would interest Apple since they have so many devices to move video files to.

I'd also like to see a far more robust Mail app. Seems like it's taking longer and longer to send mail with every passing update, even with Google's DNS servers.

Speaking of Mail.. at what point are Mail apps going to query whatever service provider we input and set up the correct incoming and outgoing mail server info? Some are built in nicely but what a pain this is for those of us that administer from afar.

Lastly, I'm really looking forward to a new UI update. It's been evolving, but a rumored new bold move has me excited for something new.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Does it really matter when 10.6.3 is released? None of you losers will be satisfied anyway. You never are. You'll find something bitch and whine about. You always do.

They're all whiners who are bitter that they didn't buy AAPL when it was less than $50/share five years ago.

As an AAPL shareholder who bought at $48/share, I couldn't give a sh_t if 10.6.3 is released tomorrow or two months from now, as long as sales increase.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Please get Quickktime X to work properly for once. And Apple thinks Flash is a CPU hog?

uh, when you click the "post" button; who do you think you are posting your comment to?

This is Apple Insider; not Apple Inc.

oh, oh, silly me. I get it.

Shnookums just wanted some attention. Widdle techie weckie studdie wuddie is wonely.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Can you edit out the middle of a quicktime X movie or only trim its ends? Enough said?

Because it can't remove and stitch video the way QT7 can in your mind every aspect of it is worse?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

TP.S. Can they co-exist peacefully, or should QT 7 completely replace QT X?

If replace, is there a published or preferred method to uninstall QT X?

They already co-exist, there is no reason to remove the QTX app and e even if you do the QTX frameworks will still be present and part of Snow Leopard. You can't rid of it. The only benefit QT7 has over QTX is advanced controls in the app itself.

Most of these just aren't used and as PersonMan states the app is still very new technology (created for the iPhone OS). They'll likely be stingy with the features for minimalism but their focus as been on performance, which I'd argue is the most important.

Frankly I'm surprised the Trim feature even made it to the release. It wasn't initially part of QTX when it was first released to the SL betas and they changed up the look and feel a bit. I say give it time and use QT7 or Movist for other needs.

Quote:

What most people fail to realize is that QuickTime X is a complete and total rewrite of QuickTime from the ground up, starting from scratch. As such, it should be viewed as a 1.0 release. It will take time for it to become a fully viable replacement for QuickTime 7.x, which probably still contains 19 year old code from the original QuickTime 1.0 (which was first released in 1991).

Apple acknowledges the fact that QuickTime X is not yet fully capable of replacing QuickTime 7.x by including QuickTime 7 alongside QuickTime X in Snow Leopard. This is no different than Apple allowing Mac OS 9 to run alongside Mac OS X when OS X was first introduced.

If people will remember, Mac OS X 10.0 and 10.1 were in many ways less capable than Mac OS 9. Now Mac OS X has far exceeded what was available in Mac OS 9. QuickTime X is currently less capable than QuickTime 7. But one day it will exceed QuickTime 7.

It also never fails to amaze me that people will call for something to be done only to criticize it when it is actually done. Many people say things like, "If *I* were making <insert well-established program here> I would scrap everything and start over," only to whine and complain when a company does exactly that and it's not feature complete to start with. Then they say, "why did they scrap a perfectly good program to rewrite it from scratch?"

It takes time to start a new software project from scratch. And it will take time for QuickTime X to catch up to 7.x. But my guess is that it will be far easier to add things to QuickTime X than it would be to add them to 7.x.

On that note, I think we'll see iTunes X in September completely rewritten with Cocoa and 64-bit, but that is the same issue as with QuickTime but worse. They can't have you use two versions of iTunes like they can with a much simpler media player and it has to be very similar to the Carbon iTunes 9. This has got to be a very difficult build and would not be surprised to see it released to devs for testing prior to its typical iPod Special Event debut.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I miss VisualHub. I love adding to my Apple TV movie library. VisualHub was so efficient and high quality. Apparently VH is being redone, but I've tried a few others out there that look similar and others that are more commercial (Popcorn) and nothing gets me that excited.

Nothing that I've seen kept the visual quality high while reducing file size like VH did. I would think that this would interest Apple since they have so many devices to move video files to.

I'd also like to see a far more robust Mail app. Seems like it's taking longer and longer to send mail with every passing update, even with Google's DNS servers.

Speaking of Mail.. at what point are Mail apps going to query whatever service provider we input and set up the correct incoming and outgoing mail server info? Some are built in nicely but what a pain this is for those of us that administer from afar.

Lastly, I'm really looking forward to a new UI update. It's been evolving, but a rumored new bold move has me excited for something new.

It and iSquint still work fine for me. Handbrake is current and can do such conversions but VisualHub is still the most convenient.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

And your evidence is?

I'm pretty sure you can't provide evidence either. Today I just booted into my firewire 400 drive that ran a pretty new copy of 10.5.8. Ran a lot faster than my current hard drive copy of 10.6.2, which I found to be surprising.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Why do you miss VisualHub? It still works. I still use it as my main media conversion software. VideoMonkey is the open-source version picking up where VisualHub left off and it seems to work pretty well too.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

They're all whiners who are bitter that they didn't buy AAPL when it was less than $50/share five years ago.

As an AAPL shareholder who bought at $48/share, I couldn't give a sh_t if 10.6.3 is released tomorrow or two months from now, as long as sales increase.

What does what any of what you posted have to do with the topic at hand other to jerk your own junk? I have Apple stock too, but really, it's irrelevant.

I like most people look forward to system updates and hope that a new MBP update is around the corner not because I'm an Apple shareholder, but because I welcome advances in software/hardware.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

What most people fail to realize is that QuickTime X is a complete and total rewrite of QuickTime from the ground up, starting from scratch. As such, it should be viewed as a 1.0 release. It will take time for it to become a fully viable replacement for QuickTime 7.x, which probably still contains 19 year old code from the original QuickTime 1.0 (which was first released in 1991).

It doesn't justify forcing two versions of the same software onto end users as though we are beta testers. People pay money for fully functional software, not loose ends here and there. When people rely on Quicktime day to day, having to deal with two versions and using open with menus instead of just double-clicking is just a nuisance.

Same goes for iMovie. iMovie 08 supports AVCHD but doesn't have the editing features of iMovie 06 so you really have to have both installed.

On the topic of the update, improved graphics drivers may coincide with new GPUs like NVidia Optimus in the new laptops.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It doesn't justify forcing two versions of the same software onto end users as though we are beta testers. People pay money for fully functional software, not loose ends here and there. When people rely on Quicktime day to day, having to deal with two versions and using open with menus instead of just double-clicking is just a nuisance.

Same goes for iMovie. iMovie 08 supports AVCHD but doesn't have the editing features of iMovie 06 so you really have to have both installed.

1) Saying you're a Beta tester because they didn't pile in every features from two decades of QuickTime is hyperbolism.

2) You don't have to use both versions. Just tell file types to open with the version of QT you wish to use. It's not that big of a deal.

3) How many years should software remain hidden in the Cupertino without being released because it doesn't have a particular feature that someone may prefer over an earlier version? Some people didn't care for the iMovie 08 redesign so they released 06 for awhile. Personally, I much prefer when a SW company rethinks the problems instead of just piling on features to antiquated design because that is what sells. I tend to like Apple because of this, not in spite of this.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    I'm definitely looking forward to this issue being fixed: "problems copying files to a shared Windows volume."

When copying folders to my NAS with a lot of files, it hangs quite often.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Since were all talking about Quicktime, let me add a few beefs:

I like to use photobooth to make little videos which I email to relatives. The image is backwards like a mirror so I use old Quicktime to flip the image horizontally. This feature does not exist in QuickTime X.

My digital camera makes movies. I import them into iPhoto 08. When I click on a movie, it wont open with QuickTime X so I have to use old QuickTime.

Maybe the updates will address all of this. I just hope it fixes several other issues I have:

Download folder vanishes from the dock. If I email a picture and then delete it, I can't empty the trash without closing mail. iLife apps keep crashing. Even iTunes and dictionary.

P.S. You guys fight too much.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Maybe Mail will finally work properly? Still getting the new mail sound after I've already read and begun to respond to emails. Rules don't apply to IMAP messages marked as read before they are downloaded. (Access Gmail on a web browser or another Mac, then open Mail on your main computer and see what happens)

Not getting totally random old RSS feeds in is nice too.

I frequently see RSS feeds from the day before to 3 months before suddenly as unread in my Unread smart mailbox.

Damn annoying.

And the settings for RSS feeds are still not synced with MobileMe as well.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update appears imminent

I hope so...
  • Reply 39 of 78
    I'm waiting for that update... I mean, since Panther the quality is falling down pretty fast and SL is no exception: the Dock dying, network drives impossible to eject, the keyboard doing seppuku, the calculator committing suicide... Yeah, even the Calculator program is unstable ! I'm using a Mac at work and under Panther having 30 days of uptime was common; now I hardly reach a week. And rebooting is a very expensive task.

One week ago I spent two hours to take back to life my input system (I'm in Japan) which preferences died: I was not able to type anything (even the virtual keyboard was blank) and I had to connect via ssh through another computer to move my preference file. Yesterday I had the focus blocked on the Finder and my MAC was turned into a zombie: even the [alt]+[command]+[echap] was broken. And since they added Spaces (nice thing btw), it is acting pretty strangely with [Command]+[Tab].

I mean, it's nice they develop cool eye candy and wonderful APIs, but the first objective of an OS is to improve the productivity of the user.

I miss and Panther and Win2K...
  • Reply 40 of 78
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yopmaster View Post

I'm waiting for that update... I mean, since Panther the quality is falling down pretty fast and SL is no exception: the Dock dying, network drives impossible to eject, the keyboard doing seppuku, the calculator committing suicide... Yeah, even the Calculator program is unstable ! I'm using a Mac at work and under Panther having 30 days of uptime was common; now I hardly reach a week. And rebooting is a very expensive task.

One week ago I spent two hours to take back to life my input system (I'm in Japan) which preferences died: I was not able to type anything (even the virtual keyboard was blank) and I had to connect via ssh through another computer to move my preference file. Yesterday I had the focus blocked on the Finder and my MAC was turned into a zombie: even the [alt]+[command]+[echap] was broken. And since they added Spaces (nice thing btw), it is acting pretty strangely with [Command]+[Tab].

I mean, it's nice they develop cool eye candy and wonderful APIs, but the first objective of an OS is to improve the productivity of the user.

I miss and Panther and Win2K...

My MBP with SL I rarely shutdown. Even with 10.5 before it.

Never witnessed any instabilities with it so far.