Apple has pre-sold "hundreds of thousands" of iPads

Comments

• Reply 141 of 219
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Quick question; how many fanboys are there?

At tens of thousands, the critics say it is just rabid fanboys. At hundreds of thousands, same thing. How many millions does it take before people admit that Apple products have general, mass appeal? Consider the success of the iMac, iPod, iPhone; there simply aren't enough fanboy nut jobs to account for it. The vast majority of Apple customers are Windows users. Isn't it about time to stop dismissing the overwhelming number of people interested in purchasing this product as fanboys?

I hear the word "fanboy" and laugh. I have no problem with being called a "fanboy" and wear the badge proudly. Apple is an amazing company. And while Windows driven PC's gained a lowly 2.7% last year the Mac and all of it's useful and ahead of their time products gained 38%! So it would seem all of us "fanboys" which I would imagine would include some "fan-girls" are really just the majority of people who are just tired of lame, virus-ridden, glitchy software, Windows-driven and completely the least safe way to conduct our online lives and have finally just kind of got it. Macs are just the most beautiful, software safe, ZERO viruses EVER way to do what the Microsoft PC tries to do but falls flat on its face every time. I mean come on, it was inevitable that the Mac would make its comeback. People are finally just realizing the truck load of issues you get with Windows computers. You really have to be someone that doesn't understand computers and the choices that are out there. These days there is NO benefit to use a Windows computer. NONE!

People in the next 3-5 years will put Apple back on top just on the simplest of issues like the cost of yearly virus protection software and cheaply put together computers with dozens of parts that come from dozens of different companies and just don't last long. Apple? They minimize that problem with using the best of components from very few different companies, therefore limiting hardware failures you see so often with Microsoft computers.

Who wants to deal with all the garbage you have to deal with, with MS?! Macs are just the best made, most intuitive, beautiful, most safe way to do everything so safely on a computer you can get.
  • Reply 142 of 219
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

The Windoze crowd will pan it until Microsoft copies it and put's their name on it. Then they'll want one. That's the way it works with that crowd.

Their crazy! They just hate and hate!
  • Reply 143 of 219
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

There is another "issue" with iPad - carrying your music and movies (whichever format iPad does play) is a bit of a challenge with 16 or even 32GB storage on iPad... and 64GB is becoming pricey. Yes I know all the advantages of solid-state storage but at the end of the day, 160 (or 250)GB of storage is an advantage for video-watcher on the move.

This may be a moot point very shortly. We have yet to see what the data center in NC is for, but there are rumors of Apple making content from your iTunes account available by streaming when you log in.

Anyway, I don't need to carry around my entire collection of 100 movies or whatever -- only the two or three I might want on a particular trip.

Re: DivX, and related movie files: you may miss out on some pirated movies from peer to peer sites or dubious streaming sites, but if you really want to archive your own DVDs, do yourself a favor and get a decent ripping program that uses a modern and efficient codec and file format that gives decent picture quality. Obviously, Apple is going to support its media partners and not bend over backwards for you to use a stash of (generally) pirated material. But there are certainly ways to bring your own DVDs into iTunes, with better results. I have a whole HD of nothing but movies attached to my Airport Extreme, simply so that the kids don't scratch up their DVDs. They select what they want for a trip, and these get sync'd to the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 144 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neilw View Post

Correction: deagol has updated his estimate to 10,000 per day. Still pretty good for something almost no one has touched yet.

That article claims that as of now, less than 2 hundred thousand have been sold.

That can't be correct. Apple has sold "hundreds of thousands' of iPads.
  • Reply 145 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Go play with your netbook.

Netbooks aren't better at anything. The iPad is better at everything!

It is better than any notebook. It is better than any desktop. It is better than any smartphone.
  • Reply 146 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You forgot:

-- punched card reader

-- 52" OLED display

-- 5-speed automatic transmission

-- life-size doll (sex of your choice)

Next all the haters will complain that it doesnt cook there breakfast's!
  • Reply 147 of 219
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Going by weight the iPad is 4.5x heavier.
    Touch = 115g

.iPad = 680kg

Wow. Three quarters of a ton eh?
  • Reply 148 of 219
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    For the life of me... I don't understand why people who want a full OS or whatever care. Why do you care? What's it to you? Seriously? Why do you spend so much energy hating on the thing? Don't you have better things to do? I mean... really. If you don't like it... don't buy it. And if you want a tablet with a full OS... go out any buy one! They've been available for years now. What is your problem? Or is it just that you like you spend your time troll and flame baiting for kicks? What kind of person goes onto a BMW forum for no reason other than to shoot down BMW and everyone who drives one? For instance. Or whatever kind of forum. I just don't understand the mentality.
  • Reply 149 of 219
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Don't be silly. That's before you turn on the anti-grav.
  • Reply 150 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...didn't PT Barnum aslo deliver "The Greatest Show On Earth"?

Yes, I believe he did.

TECHSTUD and Extremeskater must be dying. Apple will have easily over 1 million of these things sold before HP even get their "holy grail" device out.
  • Reply 151 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

HP, Asus, Samsung,fujitsu and many others have been making tablets for years. I know you dont like them but that doesnt take away the fact they have been on the market fo rmany years.

You want a cookie?

We know they have been on the market for quite some time.

And they have all more or less failed too.

You still want a cookie?
  • Reply 152 of 219
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's not about power. It's about the User Experience.

You still don't seem to understand one of the keys to Apple's success. It's the same formula behind OS X, the iPod Touch, iPhone, etc. It's a main priority for Apple.

I'm sure Standard Slate from Generic Box Assembler will be quite powerful. And how about the OS? The UI? The touch implementation? The entire ecosystem? Why care about power when it's awful to use?

You can probably (by different means) manage to do most things on a generic slate that you can on an iPad. But *why* would people choose to do it on an iPad instead? Think about it.

ALL THAT MATTERS is that the iPad be able to easily run the apps that Apple and developers design for it and be able to run content at decent speeds. That's it.

You've got it all wrong. Who actually cares about using it? ALL THAT MATTERS is that I can claim that my slate is more powerful than that toy over there. (And it might've been cheaper too.)
  • Reply 153 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple has a fan base that (nearly) always buys their new stuff, so we can't read as much in to these figures as we could with another company. Still, it's a good start.

That statement has been shown to be wrong again and again, so why keep repeating it?

Mac Cube

iPod*

iPod socks

iPod Hi-Fi

AppleTV

*When iPod was introduced in 2001, it was Mac-only. At the time, there were probably less than 20m Mac users (they'd sold 13.8m Macs over the previous four years). During the 3 quarters that the iPod was Mac-only, Apple sold 236000 units. Some fan base that was.
  • Reply 154 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

iPod Touch cost $199 , iPad cost $499. You do the Math.

Well, yeah.

It's like those "Lite" apps you download from the App Store.

10 minutes later, you buy the full version.
  • Reply 155 of 219
    Quote:

For the life of me... I don't understand why people who want a full OS or whatever care. Why do you care? What's it to you? Seriously? Why do you spend so much energy hating on the thing? Don't you have better things to do? I mean... really. If you don't like it... don't buy it. And if you want a tablet with a full OS... go out any buy one! They've been available for years now. What is your problem? Or is it just that you like you spend your time troll and flame baiting for kicks? What kind of person goes onto a BMW forum for no reason other than to shoot down BMW and everyone who drives one? For instance. Or whatever kind of forum. I just don't understand the mentality.

It's called envy and jealousy. Some of the oldest emotions on the planet.
  • Reply 156 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

What exactly do you mean by "introduced"? Which versions of HP slate will be shipping when? Sorry, "will be available later this year" is not an introduction.

HP is doing the Microsoft dance.

In Microsoft parlance, "introduced" means that their newest fabricated vaporware contraption will be "coming soon". Since it's "made" by MS, it's "REAL", unlike those fake products produced by "those other" companies that are actually SHIPPING, or in the iPad case, WILL ship.

Both HP's Slate and MS's Courier are firmly in the vware category.

MS built an empire using tactics like that. HP, being a me-too company, probably thinks that's "good enough", too.
  • Reply 157 of 219
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm gonna have to start working out...
  • Reply 158 of 219
    Quote:

For the life of me... I don't understand why people who want a full OS or whatever care.

Lack of imagination.
  • Reply 159 of 219
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm buying a 16GB 3G iPad for Mother's Day but yet to find a reason to buy one for myself. Still waiting for that "killer app" to appear that makes me say "I've got to have an iPad."

It's called Safari. Well, that and Angry Birds. What more could you need?
  • Reply 160 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

What app do you use to remote view your movies on your desktop? Im curious I would like to check that out.

AirVideo. Probably my favorite app ever. Dropbox is a close second, but access to movies is way cooler than a sync'd folder...