Apple begins accepting iPad apps on the App Store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Friday afternoon opened the floodgates for developers authoring software for its forthcoming iPad, allowing them to begin submitting the applications to its App Store for approval.

"iPad will begin shipping soon and your opportunity to be part of the grand opening of the iPad App Store starts today," the company wrote in an email to registered iPhone developers. "Submit your iPad app now for an initial review by the App Review Team and receive feedback on its readiness for the grand opening."

In order to assure that they are part of the grand opening, Apple requested that developers submit their applications by March 27 and assure that they've taken the following steps.

Build and test your iPad app using iPhone SDK 3.2 beta 5 available on the iPhone Dev Center. Only iPad apps built with iPhoneÂ*SDK 3.2Â*betaÂ*5 will be accepted for this initial review.

Upload your distribution signed app through iTunes Connect byÂ*Saturday,Â*MarchÂ*27,Â*5pmÂ*PDT.

The App Review Team will review your app on iPad and email you details about the readiness of your app.

You will also receive additional information about submitting your app for final review before iPad ships.

Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.

The iPad goes on sale April 3rd in the United States.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Only apps submitted for the initial review will be considered for the grand opening of the iPad App Store.

Sounds like they want things to be just perfect for launch day, I can't wait.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Good to hear, sounds like they're committed to approving hundreds of apps by April 3rd, given the timeline and promise of secondary feedback / final launch submissions.

May not have to run many of those iPhone apps afterall
  • Reply 3 of 76
    What a news!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 76
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good to hear, sounds like they're committed to approving hundreds of apps by April 3rd, given the timeline and promise of secondary feedback / final launch submissions.

I suspect there will be quite a few pretty quickly - in fact I think you may notice a slowdown in the iPhone only app approval process. Universal apps will do OK but I suspect Apple will be concentrating on getting a variety of IPad apps up as quick as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nice to see the "handicapped" developers being given an opportunity to submit apps this early to prepare for launch day.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I suspect there will be quite a few pretty quickly - in fact I think you may notice a slowdown in the iPhone only approval process. Universals will do OK but I suspect Apple will be concentrating on getting a variety of IPad apps up as quick as possible.

More than likely they have entirely new and trained team ready to begin tackling iPad apps right this moment. 19th through 27th they'll be reviewing new app submissions, and subsequently sending the dev feedback. Likely either a yes or no for launch day, and instructions for the final submission. From the 27th through the 3rd they'll be reviewing the final submissions from approved devs, and on the 3rd the store goes live with eveything finished at that point. From there forward, normal approval process will resume.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Flash developers need not apply.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Get over it!
  • Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:

Why not? Are "Flash Developers" some kind of single skilled reject with no knowlege of basic object oriented programming?

I doubt that. If so, calling them developers is accurate. Not programmers however.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Flash developers will turn into HTML5 developers real quick. It's in their best interests.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:

Flash designers need not apply.

fixed it for you
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

fixed it for you

and also
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TECHSTUD

Flash dancers need not apply.

• Reply 13 of 76
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Lets hope your right. I can't wait to see the catalog!

Quote:

Wait for Flash for CS5. Then you'll get your candy.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Techstud is a negative person.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

fixed it for you

You forgot to change his frown icon to a smile.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Why not? Are "Flash Developers" some kind of single skilled reject with no knowlege of basic object oriented programming?

indeed. the correct statement should have been Flash Apps need not apply.

but keep in mind that there's the best Flash to iphone convertor, which would at least get someone started on an iphone/ipad app. if it works as promised.

and I wonder if perhaps this testing is also to pull together really awesome apps to go on the demo units in the stores. they have probably contacted the folks behind some of the current demos but might want to mix it up with some new stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Can't wait for all the apps wit da neeked girls.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    So, which is it? Apple is 'handicapping' developers or 'opening the floodgates' for developers?!
  • Reply 19 of 76
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Flash Gordon need not apply.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Techstud is a negative person.

And what are you then?