Sprint features Apple iPhone in 4G Wi-Fi hotspot advertisement

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
U.S. wireless carrier Sprint has featured the iPhone and criticized the exclusive wireless provider of Apple's handset, AT&T, in a new advertisement touting the ability to share its 4G network with a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Posted to YouTube this week, the commercial, entitled "Make Your iPhone 4G," features the Overdrive device from Sprint, which can allow an iPhone -- or any Wi-Fi capable device -- to access the carrier's high-speed 4G network. Apple's handset, which is exclusive to AT&T, is the focal point of the commercial.

The commercial features two men on a park bench, and one character, Steve, has an iPhone that his friend, Matt, says is "limited to AT&T's 3G speeds." The pitchman says that the Overdrive 4G mobile hotspot from Sprint can make data connections with the iPhone "up to 10 times faster."

After connecting the iPhone to the Sprint Overdrive Wi-Fi network, the commercial shows a video loading instantly on the device.

"Whatever you do," the commercial concludes, "do it up to ten times faster with 4G from Sprint."

The advertisement carries an approach similar to one that competitor Verizon hopes to take with the forthcoming iPad from Apple. Earlier this month, it was revealed that Verizon has asked its employees to pitch data plans for the iPad that can be shared with a mobile hotspot device like a MiFi.

The internal memo from Verizon called the impending launch of the iPad, set to debut on April 3, an "opportunity" to court new customers. Verizon salespeople were asked to convince customers to buy a Wi-Fi-only version of the iPad and connect it to the Verizon 3G network with a MiFi.

However, while the iPad can be purchased contract-free and without a data plan, the iPhone is tied to AT&T's voice and data network in the U.S. Anyone who used an iPhone with a Sprint Overdrive would have to pay for two wireless data plans in order to have access to both the iPhone and the Sprint 4G network.

As a contract-free purchase, users can buy a 3G-enabled version of the iPad starting at $629. The AT&T network access can be purchased -- or canceled -- at any time directly from the iPad. It costs $15 per month for 250MB, or $30 for unlimited access.

Though the device ships unlocked, due to hardware limitations it will only have access to AT&T's 3G data network in the U.S. But devices like the MiFi and Overdrive could allow connections with alternative carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    This is one major reason why I bought the WiFi version of the iPad, AT&T's network just plan sucks. Only problem is that there's no way to ever get as good a deal with month-to-month 3G service as what AT&T is offering. It's either $60/month for 5GB with 2-year contract, $50 month-to-month for 500MB or $40 month-to-month for $250MB. Those price/data points are pathologically stupid for anyone who wants to consume anything besides text!

Oh well, I'll just stick to what I have now. I'm not about to reward these companies in their attempt to rape my wallet just for mobile data access.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That's a neat thing but for an iPad (home, hotels, public transportation, coffee shops, restaurants, and airports) every place I'd need wi-fi has it for free already. If I'm at a park or other outdoor venue 3G is just fine as I wouldn't be watching a video while I could be enjoying the outdoors.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

This is one major reason why I bought the WiFi version of the iPad, AT&T's network just plan sucks. Only problem is that there's no way to ever get as good a deal with month-to-month 3G service as what AT&T is offering. It's either $60/month for 5GB with 2-year contract, $50 month-to-month for 500MB or $40 month-to-month for $250MB. Those price/data points are pathologically stupid for anyone who wants to consume anything besides text!

Oh well, I'll just stick to what I have now. I'm not about to reward these companies in their attempt to rape my wallet just for mobile data access.

Not quite following that. On the one hand, you refuse to get the 3G iPad because you refuse to have your "wallet raped", while simultaneously admitting that the AT&T data plan for the iPad can't be beat.

So the problem seems to be the idea that AT&T's network "just sucks", even though a) it's improved quite a bit over the last year and b) that idea was always highly contingent on your location, with lots of users being perfectly satisfied.

I would want to make sure that AT&T's service actually currently sucked in my location (and was going to continue to suck for the entire time I planned to keep my iPad) before I passed up at least the option to do a month to month cheap data connection.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why would you pay for a Verizon WiFi hotspot doohickey, when it's a slow old CDMA 3G network?

On my 7.2Mbps Network I consistantly get download speeds around 3.5Mbps with peaks above 5Mbps.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

As a contract-free purchase, users can buy a 3G-enabled version of the iPad starting at $629. The AT&T network access can be purchased -- or canceled -- at any time directly from the iPad. It costs $15 per month for 250MB, or $30 for unlimited access.

How about I take that $629 and the $30 a month and keep it in my dam pocket?

• Reply 6 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not quite following that. On the one hand, you refuse to get the 3G iPad because you refuse to have your "wallet raped", while simultaneously admitting that the AT&T data plan for the iPad can't be beat.

So the problem seems to be the idea that AT&T's network "just sucks", even though a) it's improved quite a bit over the last year and b) that idea was always highly contingent on your location, with lots of users being perfectly satisfied.

I would want to make sure that AT&T's service actually currently sucked in my location (and was going to continue to suck for the entire time I planned to keep my iPad) before I passed up at least the option to do a month to month cheap data connection.

I should be more clear, I was referring to the MiFi/Overdrive devices from Verizon and Sprint. Those are the prices that I was quoting which is way too much for the average American to buy.

The price point for the AT&T plans are good, but their network sucks so much that it's not worth spending the extra $130 for the 3G chip. Were Verizon and Sprint to offer similar pricing like AT&T has, I'd be all over it, but that'll happen when pigs fly and Steve Jobs stops bending Apple to his every whim.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    4G thats exactly why I gave up my iPhone 3G for the 4G enabled HTC. Here in Moscow (and all other major cities) the entire city is covered by 4G network and unlimited data plan (with 10 meg speed) is only 15$/month.

I like iPhone but 3g speed is just not a speed at all! It also costs like 50-80$/month.

P.S. i hope 4G version comes out soon enough, otherwise it will be useless, at least in my country.

yes 4G is capable of 10meg so u get a broadband speed on any 4g enabled device anywhere in the city for 15$/m (as many devices as u wish on a single contract)
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why would you pay for a Verizon WiFi hotspot doohickey, when it's a slow old CDMA 3G network?

On my 7.2Mbps Network I consistantly get download speeds around 3.5Mbps with peaks above 5Mbps.

It doesn't matter how fast your network is if the signal doesn't exist. Such is the problem AT&T has.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    The problem is you don't get GPS without 3G. For me, the iPad will make a terrific in-car entertainment system, including overseas if one is able to buy a pre-paid SIM. The iPad is unlocked.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Appleinsider would do wisely not to carelessly reproduce the false and misleading rhetoric of American marketing in labeling Sprint's network a 4G (Fourth Generation) network.

What Sprint has rolled out is in Europe considered to be a lowly upgrade of the bandwidth of a 3G network. They claim that a measly 6 mbit/s is to be considered 4th generation bandwidth.

Well IN THE REST OF THE WORLD 4G refers at least to LTE technology, which promises to provide between 50 - 100 mbps on a mobile connection.

It is as easy as looking up the article on 4G in Wikipedia to verify this fact.

So Appleinsider please try to put a dampener on your US-centric, corporate suck up world view in the future in order to remain relevant to your European readership. Thank you.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    One virtually known feature of the Palm Pre is the built-in MiFi for up to 5 devices. This means that Pre owners can buy a WiFi iPad and have internet anywhere with Sprint. Why Palm never advertised this is just another reason why they technically had a good product but did everything else wrong to fudge it up.

If people think that AT&T's 3G network is limited for not covering the same rural areas as Verizon then Sprint's WiMAX should be a non-starter for pretty much every troll on this forum. If you have it in your area, then more power to you, but those interested need to take a look at a coverage map which I can't locate right now).

Also, while WiMAX has a potential for being faster than the current HSDPA/HSUPA used by AT&T, I'd wager that most of the time in most places it won't be. Again, more power to you if it is, but don't eat into the 10x as fast as being common.
    I've read a rumor that Sprint WiMAX towers will go up at every Walmart (or near to it) across the country. If so, that would surely help out a lot of users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Anecdotally I've experienced AT&T improving but the latest indepentent testing backs that up.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I am averaging just over 3Mbps now on AT&T.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    wiMax is 3g according to wiki
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habermas View Post

So Appleinsider please try to put a dampener on your US-centric, corporate suck up world view in the future in order to remain relevant to your European readership. Thank you.

WiMAX is still '4G' regardless of the speed potential. If speed was the marker then EV-DO wouldn't be called '3G' when compared to HSDPA. Calling anything 'xG' without quantifying it is foolish anyway, we know it's done for marketing so it doesn't really matter if it's US-centric or not. It's always been referred to as '4G' since its inception so this isn't a US-centric issue in any regard.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I have the Clear Spot Wimax device. It does the same thing, but it is a little bigger. I wonder if this is coming to Clear too. $30 a month gives you unlimited 4G data from Clear for all of your devices. Of course coverage isn't as good as AT&T.
  • Reply 15 of 82
    WiMAX is still '4G' regardless of the speed potential. If speed was the marker then EV-DO wouldn't be called '3G' when compared to HSDPA. Calling anything 'xG' without quantifying it is foolish anyway, we know it's done for marketing so it doesn't really matter if it's US-centric or not. It's always been referred to as '4G' since its inception so this isn't a US-centric issue in any regard.

So you prefer to stick with whatever marketing feeds you rather than facts? Anyhow i call my wiMax network 4g for the same reason you have stated, it has been marketed as such for years...
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

4G thats exactly why I gave up my iPhone 3G for the 4G enabled HTC. Here in Moscow (and all other major cities) the entire city is covered by 4G network and unlimited data plan (with 10 meg speed) is only 15$/month.

I like iPhone but 3g speed is just not a speed at all! It also costs like 50-80$/month.

P.S. i hope 4G version comes out soon enough, otherwise it will be useless, at least in my country.

yes 4G is capable of 10meg so u get a broadband speed on any 4g enabled device anywhere in the city for 15$/m (as many devices as u wish on a single contract)

I don't think we'll see any "4G" technologies in the 4th iPhone - regardless of whether you classify WiMax or LTE as 4G (which many people do, but technically they're not). Perhaps they'll get called 3.9G eventually . Both of these will apparently evolve together into LTE advanced (which IS genuinely 4G).

Anyway, I don't think we'll see LTE or WiMax in an iPhone this year, certainly not LTE-advanced which is due 2011. WiMax isn't following GSM so Apple won't touch it. And even LTE, the evolution of the GSM line of technologies, isn't quite ready yet - mostly it doesn't do voice yet - but Voice over LTE is rapidly approaching. And the US network (& telco) setup isn't conducive to an LTE iPhone yet.

That HTC WiMax phone you mention is perfect for the Moscow network. It has 2G(GPRS/EDGE) as well as WiMax - a good combination for fast data and voice - and it's been available since the end of 2008.

I suspect we'll see the latest 3G HSPA standards in the 4th iPhone, which will be very fast where the network can handle it, and we'll see LTE in 2011 at the earliest. Even then LTE-advanced (true 4G) might not make it in 2011 iPhone!

(edited to make more sense, and because of the argument over 4G that came up in the posts while I was posting...)
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:

wiMax is 3g according to wiki

WiMAX is 4G according to Wiki, too.

Quote:

So you prefer to stick with whatever marketing feeds you rather than facts? Anyhow i call my wiMax network 4g for the same reason you have stated, it has been marketed as such for years...

I prefer to be an informed consumer. It's 4G because of certain "facts" that deemed as such when it was being designed. As previously stated, they don't mean anything unless qualified and the label was intended for marketing purposes so let them use it as such.

When '5G' comes along their will eventually be a competitor to it that hits a technological or financial dead end, that has no business being labeled as such but that will be irrelevant as the title will be set so other markets will have to be used.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    I'd rather have the "CDMA" iPhone on the Sprint network, than the Verizon network. Verizon's speeds are supperslow, and they charge too much for what you get. (coverage, speeds.) As for Sprint you get a 'Good" area of coverage depending where you live and their speeds are much speedier than Verizon's. and all for $69.99

you gotta remember that all carriers are not perfect. Just depends what suits you best. For me, it's not Verizon at all.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I don't think we'll see any "4G" technologies in the 4th iPhone. By 4G I mean what seems to be the current buzz on 4G technologies - WiMax and LTE - though both of these aren't technically 4G ... they're very close. Both of these will apparently evolve together into LTE advanced (which IS genuinely 4G).

Anyway, I don't think we'll see LTE or WiMax in an iPhone this year. WiMax isn't following GSM. And LTE, the evolution of the GSM line of technologies, just isn't ready yet - mostly it doesn't do voice yet - but Voice over LTE is rapidly approaching.

That HTC WiMax phone you mention is perfect for the Moscow network. It has 2G(GPRS/EDGE) as well as WiMax - a good combination for fast data and voice.

I suspect we'll see the latest 3G HSPA standards in the 4th iPhone, which will be very fast where the network can handle it, and we'll see LTE in 2011 at the earliest.

I recall reading that japan's NoCoMo isn't expecting to get LTE notebook cards until the end of this year and no phones with LTE capabilities until sometime in 2011.

I'm not sure how Finland is doing with LTE at this point. I recall it just being a very small number of testers for one city.

At any rate, LTE in the iPhone is likely a few years away. HSDPA has a very long way to go before reaching it's limit, where HW still hasn't been invented to handle the max real world speed. It seems more cost effective and useful for carriers and vendors to upgrade their 3GSM capabilities.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Quote:

That HTC WiMax phone you mention is perfect for the Moscow network. It has 2G(GPRS/EDGE) as well as WiMax - a good combination for fast data and voice - and it's been available since the end of 2008.

its not good its perfect you rally only need the 2g capability if you go outside the city because the region is not fully covered yet. Inside i just use Skype to call mobiles as its cheaper (unlimited call/text plans start at 150$/m in Ru) plus many muscovites have the same HTC and use Skype so calling them is virtually free

P.S. Dream of the day when Skype + cheap mobile broadband will eliminate my usual bills of 150$/m and 55£/m in Ru and Uk