Newbie Needs Advice on Macbook Pro/Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So i know a lot about computers, laptops and i have built 2 PC's and etc etc. But i never have kept more than my peripheral vision on apple computers. I currently have as my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000, which is 2ish years old (but running Windows 7). Batteries are dieng so im stuck to the outlet. New battery from dell are $150 so...along with lacking hardware performance, it's time to upgrade.

(Im thinking Macbook pro "15)

Iv looked a lot of computers to upgrade, and when it comes down to it, i dont want to wuss out when it comes to a laptop. Put in the big bucks and be happy for years and years. So its core i5/i7 all the way, along with lots of other things. And when it came down to it, though im not a fan of how apple acts as a company, and most of its disapointing products (ie Ipad), they know their stuff when it comes to the macbook pro.

So what im asking are a few things. Is getting a Macbook Pro once the new refresh happens, the right time to buy into the apple family? What are the negitives and need to knows about entering the Apple co./Apple OS/ Apple product line ? I hear things like support for your OS only lasts so long, is that true? I have no experience with how well they support you in the warranty/repair department or anything like that.

Another thing im asking is what are YOU expecting/needing to be in the refresh to make paying $1600+ worth it?

I'll list of what i need and want and maybe you can tell me if im aiming to high:

Need: Core i5/i7, full true gorgeous HD monitor (want HDMI out), big hard drive (interesting in SSD but dont know a lot bout them), High quality Webcam (want 720P-1080P HD webcam), (want blu ray), 4+ gigs of ram (8 sounds perfect), (want: a dedicated graphics card), (want usb 3.0)

Thats whats off the top of my head. A quick next question is can you custom build your Macbook Pro? Websites like dell let you custom build, then i read things for next apple refresh in regard to Macbook Pro saying "its likely 8 gig will be standard but 16 is the limit", does that mean you get to choose/customize yourself?

Just for knowledge: I am 21, coming into money so i can buy any laptop, no perticular plans for video editing or anything like that. Plan is to have a great laptop, dual boot it so i have windows 7 and Mac OS on it. And to enjoy. So like i said i am interested in the Macbook Pro once refreshed, 15" screen. 13" is to small and 17" is to large, 15" is perfect sized.

If you can think of anything else to help me, a new to apple guy, id love to hear it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

So i know a lot about computers, laptops and i have built 2 PC's and etc etc. But i never have kept more than my peripheral vision on apple computers. I currently have as my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000, which is 2ish years old (but running Windows 7). Batteries are dieng so im stuck to the outlet. New battery from dell are $150 so...along with lacking hardware performance, it's time to upgrade.

(Im thinking Macbook pro "15)

Iv looked a lot of computers to upgrade, and when it comes down to it, i dont want to wuss out when it comes to a laptop. Put in the big bucks and be happy for years and years. So its core i5/i7 all the way, along with lots of other things. And when it came down to it, though im not a fan of how apple acts as a company, and most of its disapointing products (ie Ipad), they know their stuff when it comes to the macbook pro.

So what im asking are a few things. Is getting a Macbook Pro once the new refresh happens, the right time to buy into the apple family? What are the negitives and need to knows about entering the Apple co./Apple OS/ Apple product line ? I hear things like support for your OS only lasts so long, is that true? I have no experience with how well they support you in the warranty/repair department or anything like that.

Another thing im asking is what are YOU expecting/needing to be in the refresh to make paying $1600+ worth it?

I'll list of what i need and want and maybe you can tell me if im aiming to high:

Need: Core i5/i7, full true gorgeous HD monitor (want HDMI out), big hard drive (interesting in SSD but dont know a lot bout them), High quality Webcam (want 720P-1080P HD webcam), (want blu ray), 4+ gigs of ram (8 sounds perfect), (want: a dedicated graphics card), (want usb 3.0)

Thats whats off the top of my head. A quick next question is can you custom build your Macbook Pro? Websites like dell let you custom build, then i read things for next apple refresh in regard to Macbook Pro saying "its likely 8 gig will be standard but 16 is the limit", does that mean you get to choose/customize yourself?

Just for knowledge: I am 21, coming into money so i can buy any laptop, no perticular plans for video editing or anything like that. Plan is to have a great laptop, dual boot it so i have windows 7 and Mac OS on it. And to enjoy. So like i said i am interested in the Macbook Pro once refreshed, 15" screen. 13" is to small and 17" is to large, 15" is perfect sized.

If you can think of anything else to help me, a new to apple guy, id love to hear it.

http://www.apple.com/mac/
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

http://www.apple.com/mac/

Just perpetuating the sterotype that all Apple fanboys are ass'es.

The website tells me NOTHING about the future version of the Macbook pro or any USER experience with the laptops/company.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:

Just perpetuating the sterotype that all Apple fanboys are ass'es.

The website tells me NOTHING about the future version of the Macbook pro or any USER experience with the laptops/company.

Apple never speaks of its future as far as software and hardware. They are a closed nit company that keeps all products set in curtain guidelines. The MacBook Pro is what you see is what you get. There is no non-proprietary measures in any of Apple's products today or will there ever. They make everything standard except how much memory or HD you want or need. You can't pick or chose your Motherboard or your web-cam. This isn't build a bear. What makes the User Experience is the perfection of no glitches, no viruses, and the claimed phrase "Everything just works!"

So no if you want to build a PC then Dell or HP is for you. Sorry.

Again not being an ASS
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

Apple never speaks of its future as far as software and hardware. They are a closed nit company that keeps all products set in curtain guidelines. The MacBook Pro is what you see is what you get. There is no non-proprietary measures in any of Apple's products today or will there ever. They may everything standard except the how much memory or HD you want or need. You can't pick or chose your Motherboard or your web-cam. This isn't build a bear. What makes the User Experience is the perfection of no glitches, no viruses, and the claimed phrase "Everything just works!"

So no if you want to build a PC then Dell or HP is for you. Sorry.

Again not being an ASS

Never said i wanted to build it, was just curious if you could just cause how i read about you can choose the amount of ram or hard drive. Also, i didnt ask what people KNEW would be in the future version, i asked from their experience of past upgrades and rumors and leaks, what do they think will be / wont be. The webcam part wasnt of wanting to upgrade to a better one, it was asking what do apple lovers think the chance of them upgrading the quality of the built in Isight to HD could be? Im just trying to found out as much knowledge about a company/product line i know very little about and have no experience with.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Never said i wanted to build it, was just curious if you could just cause how i read about you can choose the amount of ram or hard drive. Also, i didnt ask what people KNEW would be in the future version, i asked from their experience of past upgrades and rumors and leaks, what do they think will be / wont be. The webcam part wasnt of wanting to upgrade to a better one, it was asking what do apple lovers think the chance of them upgrading the quality of the built in Isight to HD could be? Im just trying to found out as much knowledge about a company/product line i know very little about and have no experience with.

Well, you've done a great job so far ingratiating yourself. I'm sure a lot of people will be eager to help out now that you've immediately decided that not getting the information you demanded is proof that Mac users are assholes.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, you've done a great job so far ingratiating yourself. I'm sure a lot of people will be eager to help out now that you've immediately decided that not getting the information you demanded is proof that Mac users are assholes.

lol not what happened at all, i said the STEROTYPE...which means its something thought about a certain group of people but typically not true. BTW demanded is a little extreme, this is a FORUM...a place to ASK and get answers. Im not walking into your house holding a gun to your head demanding info on apple.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

lol not what happened at all, i said the STEROTYPE...which means its something thought about a certain group of people but typically not true.

Uh huh. Telling someone that they are "perpetuating the stereotype" means you're saying that it's generally not true. Gotcha.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh huh. Telling someone that they are "perpetuating the stereotype" means you're saying that it's generally not true. Gotcha.

It means theres a sterotype thats typically not true, but them him a ass on a apple forum isnt helping quash the sterotype. Dont you have better things to do that comment on a small tiny arguement that has nothing to do with you on a forum where im trying to get info about something?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

I perhaps do not know what you mean by all this then...

• Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

I perhaps do not know what you mean by all this then...

What i ment by all that is that i expect those things in the laptop i want to buy. And i listed them off as to get a clue from someone on the forum that might say "dont expect USB 3.0 anytime soon from apple" or "they havent ever changed the isight before, i doubt they will now" or anything. Im not asking for proof, i know that apple keeps their cards to themselves. But experience of having bought maybe the first gen macbook and watching apple as it has evolved with every refresh, knowing their typical progression of hardware updates. If thats so far fetched then just being told "until it comes out we dont know anything at all, not even any speculation" and i'll say ok.

As for the second part, i was just asking IF you can custom build them ( i didnt think you could) but then i read that you can choose how much ram you want so i was confused. Also i dont ever see anywhere on their website a place when buying a laptop, to choose how much HDD/SSD/RAM you want. So i still dont really know how that works.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    I would think apple fans/owners on a apple forum would know stuff like this

http://gizmodo.com/5475540/more-evid...-graphics-tech where they would tell me "well heres this http://gizmodo.com/5475540/more-evid...-graphics-tech and that gives us a idea that there might be ____ video card(s) in the next refresh"
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

I would think apple fans/owners on a apple forum would know stuff like this

http://gizmodo.com/5475540/more-evid...-graphics-tech where they would tell me "well heres this http://gizmodo.com/5475540/more-evid...-graphics-tech and that gives us a idea that there might be ____ video card(s) in the next refresh"

I don't have to know all this stuff I don't work for Apple, I just use its products. Second if you need any information there are three things you all can do.

#1 Call 1-800-MyApple and ask for Sales.

#2 Review the website

#3 Go to an Apple Store and as a qualified Apple sale person, "which I am not"

If you all want to be ignorant to me and troll then I am sorry I actually answered to this thread at all.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Yes you have answered some questions so i thank you. But like i said, im not asking for FACTS...there are whole websites dedicated to finding clues and leaks and talking about rumors about apple products and their next refresh, let alone TV shows that have segments talking about the ipad or next refresh of the macbook when what they are talking about isnt FACT, but conjecture.

I figured of all places to get some INSIDE (APPLE) info ...would be APPLEINSIDER.com 's forum. So sorry that i found the one forum website on the internet that only deals in cold hard facts and nothing more...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Yes you have answered some questions so i thank you. But like i said, im not asking for FACTS...there are whole websites dedicated to finding clues and leaks and talking about rumors about apple products and their next refresh, let alone TV shows that have segments talking about the ipad or next refresh of the macbook when what they are talking about isnt FACT, but conjecture.

I figured of all places to get some INSIDE (APPLE) info ...would be APPLEINSIDER.com 's forum. So sorry that i found the one forum website on the internet that only deals in cold hard facts and nothing more...

Then lurk here for awhile and only ask for clarifications. As was stated before, nobody knows what Apple is up to or is about to announce. You will find a bunch of guesses but most of them will be wrong. Even the so-called rumors can not be trusted. And the most likely to be trusted by the mainstream (Wall Street analysis's and TV Reporters) are the most likely to be wrong. The only things we know for sure are posted on the Apple site. Everything else is a game of telephone. Your original question deserved a cold hard factual answer.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Then lurk here for awhile and only ask for clarifications. As was stated before, nobody knows what Apple is up to or is about to announce. You will find a bunch of guesses but most of them will be wrong. Even the so-called rumors can not be trusted. And the most likely to be trusted by the mainstream (Wall Street analysis's and TV Reporters) are the most likely to be wrong. The only things we know for sure are posted on the Apple site. Everything else is a game of telephone. Your original question deserved a cold hard factual answer.

I appreciate the clarification, like i said earlier i have very little knowledge about apple, even what you just said i didnt really know. So thank you, that helps me out. I'll have to wait for the day apple announces it i guess.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I guess you'll be on Windoze for a while longer.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rokcet scientist View Post

i guess you'll be on windoze for a while longer.

that's great!
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Just to give you fair warning: I'm an ass too

But here's my speculation:

i5 is likely, i7 is MAYBE in the near future.

I expect the screen to stay the same. I think HDMI out is highly unlikely... Apple likes MiniDisplayPort.

I expect the webcam to stay the same.

No BluRay, No USB3.

4GB RAM will be standard, up to 16 will be optional.

Discreet GPU has always been available on Pro's... but usually a generation behind whatever is "latest and greatest".

Based on what you say you NEED, you're gonna have to stick with Dell

Apple generally has a couple "standard" versions of each laptop (CPU/Graphics combination) to which you can choose to upgrade RAM and HDD size. That's just the way they operate and always have.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Just to give you fair warning: I'm an ass too

But here's my speculation:

i5 is likely, i7 is MAYBE in the near future.

I expect the screen to stay the same. I think HDMI out is highly unlikely... Apple likes MiniDisplayPort.

I expect the webcam to stay the same.

No BluRay, No USB3.

4GB RAM will be standard, up to 16 will be optional.

Discreet GPU has always been available on Pro's... but usually a generation behind whatever is "latest and greatest".

Based on what you say you NEED, you're gonna have to stick with Dell

Apple generally has a couple "standard" versions of each laptop (CPU/Graphics combination) to which you can choose to upgrade RAM and HDD size. That's just the way they operate and always have.

Next Generation MacBook Pro wishlist: USB3, WiDi, 3G?

Seth Weintraub

|

February 12, 2010

|

* Apple Inc News

Share14

Even with iPad-mania in full swing, we're still interested in seeing Apple's next generation MacBook Pros, which should be released on any given Tuesday. But will these MacBooks simply be Core i5/i7 processor updates or will they have something more? I've already talked about why a 3G card would make sense, but there are some other technologies lurking in the shadows that would be great additions to these machines.

I spoke to a Buffalo Technologies guy at Macworld who seemed pretty up on USB3 in the marketplace. He correctly said most new mid to high end motherboards will have USB3 in 2010 and ASUS has recently purchased 5,000 Buffalo USB3 modules for testing their USB3 motherboards. He said other companies have been purchasing their technology for testing as well (without going into detail but with that "knowing look"). Also, he noted that Snow Leopard has native support baked in for USB3, so it seems like it is on Apple's radar. What better machine to put the new backwards compatible 10-pin connectors into than MacBook Pros?

Most unlikely, but ever so interesting: Intel released their new WiDi Wireless display technology at CES this year. It requires Core i3/i5/i7 processors and Intel motherboards (so no NVIDIA). The technology itself is supposed to be for Windows 7 64-bit only, but wouldn't it be nice to see something like this on MacBooks? It basically compresses HD video and sends the signal over 802.11N Wifi to a node on the network which then connects via HDMI to a display.

We'd love to see this type of technology on our MacBooks. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Sad to hear all this, basically sounds like you pay highest price point for a laptop from Apple and get what? Not new tech thats been in dell/HP/Acer for the past few months (core i7 etc) and a company that doesn't want to change its ways from usb 2.0 , a now probably average quality webcam, and minidisplayport? wtf is that? lol. What do i own that i can plug that into? HDMI out is the only way to go for pure gorgeous video out to something like my 32 inch 1080P LCD TV. Sure does seem like once it is released most likely il be disapointed and stick to a company like dell or HP. Sounds like for all the love and loyalty apple has from its fan-boys, its products aren't any where near the cutting edge. If anything, $1700 for core i5 and 4 gigs of ram with a medicore video card is something i could find for $1000 any where else. Pitiful apple.