Safari 4.5 problems with Tabs and Javascript

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Installed the latest version of Safari a couple of days ago.

Its faster than previous version.

However there are some major problems

1. It crashes the whole machine multiple times a day a day now.

Ive stopped opening in Tabs which seems to help.

2. It wont play BBC radio.

When you try it suggests you enable Javascript, which of course is already enabled.

Just checked on another machine with previous version of Safari and its still fine so

no blaming the BBC.

Is anyone testing this stuff before its released ?

Well obviously they are but not verry well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Crashiest Safari ever.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Mine works well. Do you have any add-ons for Safari? I read somewhere that this update breaks some add-ons.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Not sure what you mean by add ons but think the answer is no.

I do have two machines (Desktop and laptop )tho one with updated to safari 4.5 and one not.

Problems have only started occurring since Safari 4.5
  • Reply 4 of 10
    have you tried playing he BBC radio Iplayer ?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Crashiest Safari ever.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

... one with updated to safari 4.5 and one not.

Problems have only started occurring since Safari 4.5

I'm not sure what YOU mean by 4.5 ... the latest version I seem to be able to find is 4.0.5

But I just checked and can't find any problems on BBC.com, radio works just fine for me, so apparently the problem is not with Safari, per se, but perhaps there is something wrong with your set-up?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I had a lot of problems with Safari 4 until I installed ClicktoFlash, which makes Flash content loading optional. Now I don't have any problems with Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sorry I meant 4.0.5, the version that came out last week.its the only ting I have changed. Am running Snow Leopard which might not help.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

sorry I meant 4.0.5, the version that came out last week.its the only ting I have changed. Am running Snow Leopard which might not help.

Same Here (Safari 4.0.5 and SL 10.6.2)... Safari hasn't crashed (that I know of) since it was updated, BBC radio (and everything else) works fine. Haven't seen any Javascript messages.

I run very few plugins though, and DO use Click-To-Flash ... though, like I said, BBC radio works fine once I click to allow it's flash player to load.

I'm not trying to belittle your problems, just letting you know that it (a similar set-up) is working for me... it may be of no use at all, or it might help you trouble-shoot YOUR problems.

You might try moving all your browser plug-ins to some temporary storage folder and restart the computer without them... see if things work better. If that fixes things, then you'd have to begin the tedious process of determining WHICH plug-in is misbehaving. Or... it might not make any difference at all.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Surprisingly The BBC I^player started working as normal this morning.

No change by me or Apple. Maybe he BBC changed something ?

Still, alls well that ends well.