Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No its not. And most people even here agree with that fact except for you.

Yeah, he's missing the point. Apple sells notebooks, so what's the issue. If you want to do some "serious" work get a laptop or a desktop. The iPad is a different kind of device. It's definitely more about consumption.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Nothing unusal here, these are the same devs, who have already provided the same 44% games, 13% entertainment, etc. etc. for the current App Store...

It would be odd if this weren't the case.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, he's missing the point. Apple sells notebooks, so what's the issue. If you want to do some "serious" work get a laptop or a desktop. The iPad is a different kind of device. It's definitely more about consumption.

Exactly. The point isn't if the iPad is a good device or not. The point isn't if it meets peoples needs because in many cases it does. The fact is Quadra is under the impression this device stand a chance of taking over notebooks.

The A4 has about half the power of the average netbook running an Atom 1.83 processor. You know the hardware he calls crapware.

Its hard to even take him seriously when he says the iPad or "Slate" computing is going to over take notebooks when its running something with half the power of a netbook.

I guess when the most advanced work you do is surf the web and use iworks.com this is about a serious as you need.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

No its not. And most people even here agree with that fact except for you. Something with a 9.7" screen running a mobile OS with a 17.00 processor is not a serious device.

That partly depends on what meaning you are attaching to 'serious'.

Is it serious in the sense that you would use it for heavy coding or photoshop work? Probably not.

However, it will probably end up in use in medical environments where it may be used for electronic patient chart access, possibly including radiology output, which would seem to be a very serious use indeed.

Most people will probably use it in a more "casual" manner, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't serious about what they are doing with it.

So, is it a serious computer or not? It's definitely not a toy.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

E... The A4 has about half the power of the average netbook running an Atom 1.83 processor. ...

I have to point out that this is totally incorrect.

Even un-optimised versions of the same ARM chips beat Atom handily in all comparison tests of chips running at the same frequency. If the base ARM A8 chip can beat Atom, how can the A4 (a heavily optimised version of a more advanced version of that chip), have "half the power?"

Total BS.
  • Reply 46 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The iPad wil be as "serious" as Apple and devs want to make it.

Come back a year from now. You'll be surprised. The iPad will be *the* next-gen computing platform. As the iPad proliferates, so will similar devices. Processing power will improve, specs will improve, etc.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and you'll find something to gripe about and declare it crap. it's a 2.6 not a 2.8 processor. they STILL are not putting enough ram in the machines. you can't take out the battery yourself. no matte finish, no blu-ray, blah blah.

You might consider Teckstud to be annoying or whatever, but to me these would all be very legitimate gripes (except for the one about the battery). Teckstud may whine a lot, but he sometimes has very good points about Apple's shortcomings.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Well, you gotta admit, a massive calculator wouldnt be all that useful
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't eBooks merely ePub FILES that are READ by an eBook reader app, like Stanza?

Games are a highly visible and accessible door opener for the iPad, so it makes sense that games are so far ahead percentage-wise...

For YEARS, games drove the PeeSea industry while the Pee Sea industry followed Apple.

And sure, if I were a prodctivity app developer, i'd want to test my apps on a real iPad before releasing them in the wild. A buggy game is one thing, a buggy app you use for business is a different story!

Besides, everyone already KNOWS about iTunes, music, video, etc..

I plan on using my iPad to get me AWAY from my desk. That means I'll most likely be using Safari, Mail and apps like Wikipedia, IMDB, OmniFocus and iWork. I only hope that apps like UpNext and iBird Pro get the full iPad treatment! AND I would LOVE to see a Lite version of Vectorworks for the iPad, which could be FANTASTIC!

Sure, I'll play a few games like Orbital (http://www.orbital-game.com/), Spirit (http://spiritapp.com/), the iPad Zen Bound. Maybe I'll finally start USING Brushes, too.

Board games like Scrabble and Monopoly are a natural for the iPad, since it can be passed around.

So yeah, why be surprised about games dominating.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Even un-optimised versions of the same ARM chips beat Atom handily in all comparison tests of chips running at the same frequency. If the base ARM A8 chip can beat Atom, how can the A4 (a heavily optimised version of a more advanced version of that chip), have "half the power?"

Total BS.

PLUS, even Intel admits that the Atom is not very power effiicent, draining batteries MUCH faster than ARM chips.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The iPad wil be as "serious" as Apple and devs want to make it.

Come back a year from now. You'll be surprised. The iPad will be *the* next-gen computing platform. As the iPad proliferates, so will similar devices. Processing power will improve, specs will improve, etc.

There is a serious lack of the word 'serious' here. I don't want an iPad because it is a gaming device. I would want it because I can read newspapers, pdfs, check mail, write the occasional pages document, use it for keynote, read books. I'd say this does fit a definition of serious. If you define serious as doing high end video cutting or work seamlessly on pages documents, a Mathematica code and Illustrator, than the iPad probably isn't a serious device. Some others might just be interested in serious gaming ...

Stop comparing the iPad with a standard desktop/notebook device. It is not. It will do its business on another level - and for some, this will be a serious level, for others a gaming lever. For some even both (hey, you can also play games on an iMac or MacBook Pro!).
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

There is a serious lack of the word 'serious' here. I don't want an iPad because it is a gaming device. I would want it because I can read newspapers, pdfs, check mail, write the occasional pages document, use it for keynote, read books. I'd say this does fit a definition of serious. If you define serious as doing high end video cutting or work seamlessly on pages documents, a Mathematica code and Illustrator, than the iPad probably isn't a serious device. Some others might just be interested in serious gaming ...

Stop comparing the iPad with a standard desktop/notebook device. It is not. It will do its business on another level - and for some, this will be a serious level, for others a gaming lever. For some even both (hey, you can also play games on an iMac or MacBook Pro!).

As a general media delivery/consumption and stealth computing device, it makes sense for Apple to push gaming over productivity. How many spreadsheet commercials have you ever seen? Commercials and ads highlighting games are fast, fun and easy to absorb.

Plus, Apple is counting on people's ankle-biting spawn to snivel and whine them directly to the nearest Apple Store to shut them the 'ell up with sparkly new iPad pacifiers!
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Total BS.

Actualy you are full of BS. The A4 ARM that Apple is using is a stripped down version of the A8. The processor is a single core 1ghz CPU with a cost of 17.00. This is very easy to look up.

This doesn't even come close to an A8 or Cortex A9.

This is a 1ghz single core processor. Period.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.ipad.needs/

The custom A4 processor in the iPad is in reality a castrated Cortex A8 ARM design, say several sources. Despite speculation that the chip might be based on the more advanced Cortex A9 platform, the A4 is instead said to use a single, 1GHz A8 core, paired with PowerVR SGX graphics technology. The A9 could have allowed Apple to build its first dual-core handheld.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

As a general media delivery/consumption and stealth computing device, it makes sense for Apple to push gaming over productivity. How many spreadsheet commercials have you ever seen? Commercials and ads highlighting games are fast, fun and easy to absorb.

Plus, Apple is counting on people's ankle-biting spawn to snivel and whine them directly to the nearest Apple Store to shut them the 'ell up with sparkly new iPad pacifiers!

You are right with the commercials. I think I wanted to point out that just because there are many games for the iPad (what is the percentage for 'regular' Macs?), this does not mean the iPad isn't a serious device. In other words: does the percentage of games for a device decides whether it is serious or not? I don't think so. The 'seriousness' of a device should be measured what it is capable of and how it can be used. And there is a lot more the iPad can do and you can do with it, than gaming. I think.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

You are right with the commercials. I think I wanted to point out that just because there are many games for the iPad (what is the percentage for 'regular' Macs?), this does not mean the iPad isn't a serious device. In other words: does the percentage of games for a device decides whether it is serious or not? I don't think so. The 'seriousness' of a device should be measured what it is capable of and how it can be used. And there is a lot more the iPad can do and you can do with it, than gaming. I think.

Absolutely. The concept of games is easy to absorb and an easy "in" to the iPad. Once people pick up iPads and see what else they'll be able to do, it will be (hopefully) be a revelation. I had a similar experience with the iPod touch.

When I finally watched the iPad intro keynote video (last week) and saw the demos of iCal, Address Book and iWork, I was SOLD... of course I had already pre-ordered an iPad on March 12th.

I look forward to what will be coming from OmniGroup, especially OmniFocus... and get the feeling that app developers will come out with some surprising apps and rethinking of the UI in the months to come.

Games are like dessert!
  • Reply 56 of 102
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I will be getting an iPad. I am not a child. I will not be getting it for games. I will use it to read email, surf the web, read publications and do light word processing, while sitting on the couch, on my terrace or in bed . For heavy lifting, I will use my Mac Pro.

The iPad is not for everyone... yes, some people need to get a laptop. But there is no need to put down the iPad or any other hardware, just because it doesn't fit you needs.

You'll be turning that iPad into a laptop, I already have seen it.

First you'll be buying the iPad Case to protect the screen when not in use.

Next you'll be buying the either the wireless keyboard or the keyboard stand.

Then you will be buying a third party case that has a flat keyboard on one side and a iPad holder on the other because by then you'll be so sick and tired of holding that iPad into the position you need it to stay to use it in all the places you mentioned.

Next you buying all sorts of connector devices so you can import pictures and files into the iPad when on the road.

After all that, you'll be complaining about it's lack of storage, but no fear, a Time Capsule or MobileMe is just another $$$ order click away!

Then you'll be bitching how most web sites are not functioning because of the lack of Flash support, the screen will be scratched from your fingers touching it and wiping it clean all the time.

Your going to feel like a total sucker a year later and wished you bought something where the storage could be upgraded so you can take all your music, photo's, videos etc with you. Something like a laptop where the screen is not constantly touched. A REAL keyboard included. Play DVD's and CD's and watch Flash sites. Run what software you want, not what Apple tells you you can run.

But alas, you bought into the iPad hype and didn't seriously take a look what you were getting into, Apple will laugh as they swell up their cash horde and get you to buy a MacBook Pro two years from now which you should have gotten in the first place and it would have lasted 5-6 years.

Well enjoy your adventure, eBay that iPad before it the next update or risk losing money.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:

Actualy you are full of BS. The A4 ARM that Apple is using is a stripped down version of the A8. The processor is a single core 1ghz CPU with a cost of 17.00. This is very easy to look up.

This doesn't even come close to an A8 or Cortex A9.

This is a 1ghz single core processor. Period.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.ipad.needs/

The custom A4 processor in the iPad is in reality a castrated Cortex A8 ARM design, say several sources. Despite speculation that the chip might be based on the more advanced Cortex A9 platform, the A4 is instead said to use a single, 1GHz A8 core, paired with PowerVR SGX graphics technology. The A9 could have allowed Apple to build its first dual-core handheld.

Apple's purchase of PA Semiconductor not too long ago, yielded its first product today, but it's not the fact that it was used in the iPad that makes it special. What's special is that Apple now has a real processor on its hands. And in case you're wondering whether or not Apple's own CPU can compete with the likes of ARM's Cortex or Qualcomm's Snapdragon CPUs, the A4 has potential to kick the living shnizzles out of those CPUs.

First, the A4 runs at a 1GHz frequency, which by mobile CPU standards, is quite high. Considering that Qualcomm's 1GHz Snapdragon powers Google's Nexus One, the Apple A4 could power the next wave of super-smartphones. In fact, at its current spec and frequency, the Apple A4 can play back HD video for 10 hours before requiring a full battery charge.

As of currently, other specs about Apple's A4 CPU are scant, but we're sure things will be more clear in the next coming weeks. We can see from the iPad's capabilities that the A4 is potent, but things are still fresh and we'll have to wait and see what software developers can come up with.

What the iPad showcases today and what it's an indication of, is a lot more interesting than the iPad itself.

The Apple A4 is an ARM-based system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed by Apple and first used in the iPad tablet computer.The first version released runs at 1 GHz and contains a Cortex-A8 CPU core paired with a PowerVR SGX graphics processor (GPU). It was announced on January 27, 2010, during Apple's "Latest Creation" event.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Then you will be buying a third party case that has a flat keyboard on one side and a iPad holder on the other because by then you'll be so sick and tired of holding that iPad into the position you need it to stay to use it in all the places you mentioned.

Next you buying all sorts of connector devices so you can import pictures and files into the iPad when on the road.

After all that, you'll be complaining about it's lack of storage, but no fear, a Time Capsule or MobileMe is just another $$$ order click away!

Then you'll be bitching how most web sites are not functioning because of the lack of Flash support, the screen will be scratched from your fingers touching it and wiping it clean all the time.

Your going to feel like a total sucker a year later and wished you bought something where the storage could be upgraded so you can take all your music, photo's, videos etc with you. Something like a laptop where the screen is not constantly touched. A REAL keyboard included. Play DVD's and CD's and watch Flash sites. Run what software you want, not what Apple tells you you can run.

But alas, you bought into the iPad hype and didn't seriously take a look what you were getting into, Apple will laugh as they swell up their cash horde and get you to buy a MacBook Pro two years from now which you should have gotten in the first place and it would have lasted 5-6 years.

Well enjoy your adventure.

Something tells me he'd rather not use a junkbook loaded with some awful version of Windows. He's thinking ahead of the curve.

The netbook's days are numbered. Netbooks will be the first casualty to the iPad and similar devices.

For now, it seems the iPad will be perfect for him. User Experience and Apple's ecosystem of apps and services is what counts here, and what will define competitors' products.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Well enjoy your adventure, eBay that iPad before it the next update or risk losing money.

Wow, that's quite presumptuous of you considering you probably don't know a damn thing about bkerkay.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Obviously you don't know me.

If I wanted a laptop... I would of bought one. I've been holding off on getting a laptop, because it was overkill for me.. for my needs. Like I said.. if I want to do any serious computing, I turn to my Mac Pro.

Yes, I will probably by a case. Just like oh 90% of people do for their laptops and/or iPhones. There is nothing wrong with that. And yes, it will probably be the one Apple is offering because it can turn it into a stand.. For example when I want to watch a movie on an airplane.

I will not be getting the keyboard stand, again because it I want to do more serious or longer work it will be on my desktop. However, I might answer a few short emails on the iPad.

I actually have MobileMe already and had it for years when it was still called Mac.com. Will I use it with the iPad... I don't know yet. Time will tell.

Well I can get a screen protector so the glass screen won't get scratched... which it probably won't cause I actually take care of my stuff. And if it does get scratched... it's ok... it something that is being used. Nothing in this world stays pristine, unless you look it up in a glass case or safe and never use it.

I'm not buying into the hype. I didn't pre-order or reserve. Again like I said, if I wanted a laptop I would of gotten one several times in the past few years. But didn't. I see the iPad filling my needs and that is why I'm getting one.

Like I said... you don't know me, so don't make those assumptions about me and my needs, when it comes to computer hardware.