Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Cant wait to get my iPad, studying my foreign languages with my apps currently on my iPhone will be such an improvement, and to have a mobile version of iWork, cant believe how no one is going nuts over that yet.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The netbook's days are numbered. Netbooks will be the first casualty to the iPad and similar devices.

Absolutely not. I like the iPad, but this is pure delusion. Everyone I know who owns a netbook primarily uses it in an academic context - as a notetaking device for university classes. The iPad will never be an adequate notetaking machine unless it magically sprouts a physical keyboard (and no, the BT KB doesn't count - who wants to haul yet a peripheral to class when you can just throw a cheap and fast netbook [Ubuntu!] into your backpack?)
  • Reply 63 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Absolutely not. I like the iPad, but this is pure delusion. Everyone I know who owns a netbook primarily uses it in an academic context - as a notetaking device for university classes. The iPad will never be an adequate notetaking machine unless it magically sprouts a physical keyboard (and no, the BT KB doesn't count - who wants to haul yet a peripheral to class when you can just throw a cheap and fast netbook [Ubuntu!] into your backpack?)

Thats why every smartphone nowadays has a virtual keyboard huh?
  • Reply 64 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

It amazes me reading all these posts how so many people want to turn the iPad into something else. First it should be a netbook. Then it should be a laptop. Finally it should be a desktop. Why can't we let it be what it is. An easy to use device that can travel with you in an easily viewable form factor.

Apple already makes a great laptop. They already make a great smartphone. They already make a great desktop. Lets focus on what the iPad is.

Seeing apps for games dominate the apps tested so far doesn't surprise me. With its accelerometer and great form, it's a natural for games. I'm sure the other categories in the app store will prosper once people actually have it in their hands to use.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nintendo DS who?
  • Reply 66 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

What are you trying to say here? Do you think anyone out there is taking lecture notes on their iphone or Droid? These are a different kind of device, just like the iPad is different from a netbook. It's probably great for gaming, casual browsing, messaging, some light office work, watching movies etc. (I might get one just to watch movies in my bed; my MBP gets rather hot on my lap). However, if you're interested in writing a lot of stuff rather quickly on a very compact machine, the iPad won't suit your needs and you'll buy a netbook. This market is not going to go away, believe me.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Smartphones do not fall into the same class as a multi functional Tablet. Which is another reason why Tablets are such a hard sell. If you already have a notebook and a smartphone its really hard to find a solid need for a Tablet.

Not to mention most users here that are saying this is going to overtake notebooks have never even put their hands on a tablet.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Nintendo DS who?

Well at least you have added to your list. Now instead of just dropping your standard from taking over the notebook world to Kindle killer at least you have added the DS.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

More like productivity apps really need testing on a real device before submitting to Apple for UI testing.

I can grok that - I am waiting to do some testing myself - but I still can't wait to play with it.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Smartphones do not fall into the same class as a multi functional Tablet. Which is another reason why Tablets are such a hard sell. If you already have a notebook and a smartphone its really hard to find a solid need for a Tablet.

That might be the case if notebooks/netbooks (or smartphones) and iPads shared the same use cases, but since they almost entirely don't, the point you are trying to make is beside the point, unless you are simply talking about old-fashioned Windows tablets, which I agree are a hard sell, but somewhat irrelevant to the discussion.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I'm not buying into the hype. I didn't pre-order or reserve.

Good, now think a second...

Quote:

if I wanted a laptop I would of gotten one several times in the past few years. But didn't.

Because you didn't need the performance, you already have a MacPro for that and now need a additional small portable device.

Your likely not comfortable sitting at the desk and chair the Mac Pro requires, you want something portable so you can lay around and use the device in other locations and body positions.

Problem is your not going to be as comfortable using the iPad than a laptop in those various positions because it lacks ergonomic features. A laptop holds the screen for you, provides your typing tactile response and so forth.

Take a physical clipboard and a notepad and try writing a long letter in all the locations you plan on using the iPad. Notice how you have to take unusual positions to hold it steady, support it, etc.

Draw a keyboard on the notepad and try to type on it like you would with a iPad. Makes you wish you had three hands. Think about the problems with the touch keyboard and the screen angle being the same, unlike the laptop with both can be adjusted to suit the user. Think about how you would have to hunch over the iPad and strain your wrists to both type and read the screen at the same time.

Now you perhaps see where I am going, and how later on your going to want the ergonomic features of a laptop for your iPad. So your going to pay more to get that comfort of a laptop later which is going to drive up it's costs to a laptop prices.

I like Apple's products, but they don't have all the solutions, they tend to create products to cause a upscale effect which the iPad certainly does.

You can get a decent $300 netbook for less than the price of a the clumsy, Flash crippled iPad and it would do more, be a lot more comfortable and files easily transferred via USB key.

If you get a Dell Mini 10 with Ubuntu Linux and install Flash, it would even be safer than your Mac on the internet as Safari is being targeted. It's the ultimate in security via obscurity. Firefox and it's add-ons is the browser for Ubuntu and OpenOffice is free for all platforms.

However if you want to stick with Apple and not pay a lot, I suggest a used MacBook instead.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Good, now think a second...

Because you didn't need the performance, you already have a MacPro for that and now need a additional small portable device.

Your likely not comfortable sitting at the desk and chair the Mac Pro requires, you want something portable so you can lay around and use the device in other locations and body positions.

Problem is your not going to be as comfortable using the iPad than a laptop in those various positions because it lacks ergonomic features. A laptop holds the screen for you, provides your typing tactile response and so forth.

Take a physical clipboard and a notepad and try writing a long letter in all the locations you plan on using the iPad. Notice how you have to take unusual positions to hold it steady, support it, etc.

Draw a keyboard on the notepad and try to type on it like you would with a iPad. Makes you wish you had three hands. Think about the problems with the touch keyboard and the screen angle being the same, unlike the laptop with both can be adjusted to suit the user. Think about how you would have to hunch over the iPad and strain your wrists to both type and read the screen at the same time.

Now you perhaps see where I am going, and how later on your going to want the ergonomic features of a laptop for your iPad. So your going to pay more to get that comfort of a laptop later which is going to drive up it's costs to a laptop prices.

I like Apple's products, but they don't have all the solutions.

You can get a decent $300 netbook for less than the price of a the clumsy Flash crippled iPad and it would do more, be a lot more comfortable and files easily transferred via USB key.

If you get a Dell Mini 10 with Ubuntu Linux and install Flash, it would even be safer than your Mac on the internet as Safari is being heavily targeted. It's the ultimate in security via obscurity.

Again, you are NOT listening to what I'M saying. For things that will take longer, I will be turning to my MacPro. But to just check a website or email while watching TV, I don't want to get up and go into the other room. For a short email response the iPad will suit me fine, because I won't cramp up for typing out a 60 second email.

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that I (or anyone else) wants to get an iPad. I'm not trying to talk you into buying or not buy anything else. I don't understand why you are doing that to me. Like I said, for some, a laptop is more ideal. Great. Good for you.

I like Apple products too, and agree that not all of their products have all the solutions. I get the ones I feel fill MY NEEDS. And I ignore the ones that don't. It's simple as that. And would appreciate it if you accepted that simple fact.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

So Apple keeps morphing into a SONY of the 21st century. So much for a serious computing platform with the iPad. iPad looks more and more like a toy mobile device than anything serious.

Oh well waiting for an i5 13" MBP, whenever Apple get back to serious computing that is.

Studly, you are obviously cornfuzed. Apple - as you have oft stated before - is becoming Microsoft, not Sony. Unless you somehow imagine that Apple will be a mild-mannered Sony, unless Steve gets riled, and then AHA! they turn into the dastardly villainous SMERSH-like Microsoft! And really, at what point did Apple promise that the iPad would be a "serious computing device"? If that's what you need I have a dandy TI graphing calculator that will fill your bill nicely in that category. Just because you are hopelessly mired in the 20th century with your laptop, keyboard, pointing device, bluray drive and fullbodied and robust desktop OSX as the only definition of "computing", doesn't mean that a given device not fitting your retrograde and clunky specs is in fact a "toy"!
  • Reply 74 of 102
    macmadmacmad Posts: 62member
    "I guess when the most advanced work you do is surf the web and use iworks.com this is about a serious as you need."

Exactly! I will be buying an iPad but I won't be using it for my work with InDesign and QuarkXpress (even if the software/apps became available on this platform).... the screen is just too small. For such work, my iMac at home and in the office are perfect.

But I will use the iPad for documents, spreadsheets and presentations. I will use it for emailing and web searches, etc. I will use it for viewing photos. I will use it for watching movies on the commute when I'm tired of working, and I will use it for reading magazines and books.

When we talk about 'working', what do most people use a computer for?

Writing and reading documents, putting together spreadsheets and presentations, emailing, etc.

The iPad will be very, very useful for this. Apple never said the iPad was going to replace your iMac or whatever desktop computer you're using.

To say the iPad is not a serious work computer is, well, retarded.

The iPad will be great for work (for the average user)... for 'serious work' you'll need your desktop and its huge screen. Just as Apple wants it to be :-)
  • Reply 75 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Studly, you are obviously cornfuzed. Apple - as you have oft stated before - is becoming Microsoft, not Sony.

Do you realize how many times over the years he's said that Apple should do things the Sony way and now he's making claims that they are acting like Sony and they are wrong for it. I swear the kid has multiple personalities in his head... which may explain why he's allowed to have multiple usernames here.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:

Exactly. The point isn't if the iPad is a good device or not. The point isn't if it meets peoples needs because in many cases it does. The fact is Quadra is under the impression this device stand a chance of taking over notebooks.

The A4 has about half the power of the average netbook running an Atom 1.83 processor. You know the hardware he calls crapware.

Its hard to even take him seriously when he says the iPad or "Slate" computing is going to over take notebooks when its running something with half the power of a netbook.

I guess when the most advanced work you do is surf the web and use iworks.com this is about a serious as you need.

Xtreme - to repeat, where did you get the info on the power/capacity of the A4 chip? No one outside of Apple knows exactly what is "under the cover" of the "1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip". There is speculation as to what the architecture is likely to be, but until one is taken apart or Apple announces the nuts and bolts - your statement is purely speculative. You have NO IDEA (beyond guessing wildly) whether or not it out-spec's an Atom processor or not. Go ahead cite your info source - they don't know either.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:

Actualy you are full of BS. The A4 ARM that Apple is using is a stripped down version of the A8. The processor is a single core 1ghz CPU with a cost of 17.00. This is very easy to look up.

This doesn't even come close to an A8 or Cortex A9.

This is a 1ghz single core processor. Period.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.ipad.needs/

The custom A4 processor in the iPad is in reality a castrated Cortex A8 ARM design, say several sources. Despite speculation that the chip might be based on the more advanced Cortex A9 platform, the A4 is instead said to use a single, 1GHz A8 core, paired with PowerVR SGX graphics technology. The A9 could have allowed Apple to build its first dual-core handheld.

As stated, they are speculating they DON'T KNOW - because if they did the sources would be cited, not referenced anonymously. No one worth their technical salt is going to attach their name to specualtion they can't defend. Bloody try again.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Xtreme - to repeat, where did you get the info on the power/capacity of the A4 chip? No one outside of Apple knows exactly what is "under the cover" of the "1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip". There is speculation as to what the architecture is likely to be, but until one is taken apart or Apple announces the nuts and bolts - your statement is purely speculative. You have NO IDEA (beyond guessing wildly) whether or not it out-spec's an Atom processor or not. Go ahead cite your info source - they don't know either.

Even if a new Atom is more powerful than the A4 that doesn't mean the Atom system will feel faster or be more usable to the user. Windows 7 may be extremely efficient compared to Windows Vista, but it's still a desktop OS running on a chip that can barley push it. Now, compare Android, WinPh7, Maemo or WebOS on an Atom-based tablet and you'll have that will likely feel considerably faster to use, battery life to weight surely won't be as good but at least the performance will feel snappy. No netbook running Windows feels snappy, yet I don't think anyone who has used the iPad didn't say they were impressed and surprised at how fast it felt.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

There is a serious lack of the word 'serious' here. I don't want an iPad because it is a gaming device. I would want it because I can read newspapers, pdfs, check mail, write the occasional pages document, use it for keynote, read books. I'd say this does fit a definition of serious. If you define serious as doing high end video cutting or work seamlessly on pages documents, a Mathematica code and Illustrator, than the iPad probably isn't a serious device. Some others might just be interested in serious gaming ...

Stop comparing the iPad with a standard desktop/notebook device. It is not. It will do its business on another level - and for some, this will be a serious level, for others a gaming lever. For some even both (hey, you can also play games on an iMac or MacBook Pro!).

Amen. Well said.

Also, most of the "books" on the app store ARE apps. There are few eBook reader apps. So, I'm not sure what the books in the cart are - readers or apps - and as someone has said, this is only a representation of what is being worked on that has the software included that sends out the information.

Some have said in other threads that companies make their books as apps in order to preserve the integrity of the original paper book style, while ones like Stanza are eBook readers, not paper book facsimiles.

Anyway, I have a SERIOUS Mac desktop computer that I play Facebook games on and I have noticed that the logo turns upside down when I do that because it KNOWS it's a serious computer and hates when I use it for "childish" games.

So, the iPad will probably have some sort of mechanism for stopping people from using it for SERIOUS things since it really isn't a serious computer, or at the very least, the logo on the back will turn upside down in protest.

Really, people. Apple has a device for all of us, and we use it for what we want. I can play solitaire on my Mac and do fairly heavy duty Photoshop work.

The iPad will do all sorts of things, and people just MIGHT use it for playing with between using it to look up an emergency patient's medical records.

And who cares whether it's a computer, or an upscaled touch, or a tablet, or fill in the blank?

In fact, it is an iPad. Just use it!

I'm just sayin'...
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Thank god developers like the Omni Group don't agree with you.

There is nothing special keeping the iPad from being more than a consumption device. Well, other than being able to have a minimal imagination

Yes, I HATE it when an OBVIOUSLY toy of a computer... whoops, it's not a computer... gets serious applications like the Omni Group make installed on it.

Obviously the Omni Group, who are actually moving the introduction of a Mac app or two back in order to program for the Ipad, are going to be out of business within a year, since they think the iPad is going to be great for productivity tools like theirs.

Fools.

*roll eyes*