Games command 44% of apps tested by Apple for use with iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

For things that will take longer, I will be turning to my MacPro. But to just check a website or email while watching TV, I don't want to get up and go into the other room. For a short email response the iPad will suit me fine, because I won't cramp up for typing out a 60 second email.

Your going to buy a minimum over $500 device to respond to a occasional email or check a web page? without Flash? Sorry to say your not being realistic.

Your more likely going to sit in your lounge chair and watch TV and surf at the same time and eventually ignore that Mac Pro because it's uncomfortable to sit at that desk.

What your are doing is trading the uncomfortable Mac Pro desk setting for another uncomfortable device that you need three hands to hold it, and will hurt your arms moving them around to navigate, don't you get that? Your going from one extreme to the other.

Your not going to be as comfortable with the iPad as you would with a laptop or a netbook. The iPad in the iPad Case cannot keep itself in a safe upright position to inform you of information like a laptop can sitting on a table next to your lounge chair.

The iPad is not a standalone device, it's dependent upon the Mac Pro. So you will require bringing it to the MacPro for updates, charging, file transfers etc. So your going to wind up traveling to the where Mac Pro is anyway. The association of the iPad with a location next to your TV chair is going to be disturbed and cause stress. "Where did I place that iPad?" you'll be asking yourself.

Your also going to be unhappy with the limited nature of the iPad environment after gotten used to the extreme power of the Mac Pro machine. I know this because I have used a lot of different Apple machines and speak from experience.

A new or used MacBook, plug in the charger, leave it next to your favorite TV chair and have it auto-sync via MobileMe or even wifi, or even share the internet connection from the Mac Pro even would be a way better choice. It's there, it stays there and it does everything and more if you should so need to in the future. The iPad has a limited storage space, that alone is enough to be a burden.

But go ahead and get the iPad and remember what I'm saying because it's all going to come true.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    Woohoo, you obviously aren't thinking things through. 1.5 lbs? Easily rotated? MUCH more easily set on a table beside you or handed to someone or taken to another room or used for reading or........ well, the REST of you understand what I'm talking about.

It is NOT a MacBook. It wasn't designed to be a MacBook. It is an iPad! It will work like an iPad. People will want it even in addition to their MacBook.

Unbelievable as all this seems...
  • Reply 83 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Your going to buy a minimum over $500 device to respond to a occasional email or check a web page? without Flash? Sorry to say your not being realistic.

Your more likely going to sit in your lounge chair and watch TV and surf at the same time and eventually ignore that Mac Pro because it's uncomfortable to sit at that desk.

What your are doing is trading the uncomfortable Mac Pro desk setting for another uncomfortable device that you need three hands to hold it, and will hurt your arms moving them around to navigate, don't you get that? Your going from one extreme to the other.

Your not going to be as comfortable with the iPad as you would with a laptop or a netbook. The iPad in the iPad Case cannot keep itself in a safe upright position to inform you of information like a laptop can sitting on a table next to your lounge chair.

The iPad is not a standalone device, it's dependent upon the Mac Pro. So you will require bringing it to the MacPro for updates, charging, file transfers etc. So your going to wind up traveling to the where Mac Pro is anyway. The association of the iPad with a location next to your TV chair is going to be disturbed and cause stress. "Where did I place that iPad?" you'll be asking yourself.

Your also going to be unhappy with the limited nature of the iPad environment after gotten used to the extreme power of the Mac Pro machine. I know this because I have used a lot of different Apple machines and speak from experience.

A new or used MacBook, plug in the charger, leave it next to your favorite TV chair and have it auto-sync via MobileMe or even wifi, or even share the internet connection from the Mac Pro even would be a way better choice. It's there, it stays there and it does everything and more if you should so need to in the future.

But go ahead and get the iPad and remember what I'm saying because it's all going to come true.

Why are you so desperate to talk him out of it?

There's plenty to like about the iPad, and we'd better get used to it because not only is the iPad here to stay, but it's already redefining our conception of "computing." It will be HUGE. It is a breakout device that is based on proven and successful model, with an ocean of developers standing behind it. This is it. This is Apple's baby for the next few years and they are going to develop the hell out of it. What's not to like?

I think he has enough brain cells to rub together to know what he'll use his desktop for and what he'll use the iPad for.

Why does the iPad frighten you so much?
  • Reply 84 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Woohoo, you obviously aren't thinking things through. 1.5 lbs? Easily rotated? MUCH more easily set on a table beside you or handed to someone or taken to another room or used for reading or........ well, the REST of you understand what I'm talking about.

It is NOT a MacBook. It wasn't designed to be a MacBook. It is an iPad! It will work like an iPad. People will want it even in addition to their MacBook.

Unbelievable as all this seems...

Well he will just have to experience the loss of circulation to his legs from sitting with his knees up supporting the iPad, the tired arms from holding and using the device and keeping it from falling on the floor.

When he could have his legs up on a ottoman, MacBook on his lap, arms resting comfortably on the rests, screen adjusted to meet his vision, moving his hands just a little to reach the trackpad and being happy.

When it comes to being a comfortable computer using geek, I've got 30 years of experience.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

A new or used MacBook, plug in the charger, leave it next to your favorite TV chair and have it auto-sync via MobileMe or even wifi, or even share the internet connection from the Mac Pro even would be a way better choice. It's there, it stays there and it does everything and more if you should so need to in the future. The iPad has a limited storage space, that alone is enough to be a burden.

You don't know my set-up at home and do not know how comfortable it actually is. I used to freelance at home and sat in front of that desktop all day and never had any comfort issues.

Why do I need three hands to hold the iPad and read an eBook or magazine publication on it or a website or an email?

I also had a PowerBook (still have it, but hardly use it). So I know exactly what it's like using a laptop while on the couch, in bed or at a table. But it WAS a pain always picking it up, setting it aside, showing someone something on it or just carrying it around be it from one room to another or in a bag from one house to another. Been there, done that.

Actually I don't have to take it to the MacPro to charge, cause I'll have the charger by my couch. I'll use my existing cable that I have at my MacPro (for syncing iPod and iPhone) to sync the iPad once in awhile, not exactly sure for what. When even now, address book, apps, emails, all happen wirelessly and from the cloud/wifi on my iPhone. And currently we don't know how magazine publications will be updated. Yes, I might sync photos once every few weeks or once a month. I think I can handle that. Therefore, I will have my iPad usually in the living room. And guess what.... I actually have a very good memory and usually remember where I left things. Just like now, I always know where my other electronic devices are, my house keys or even magazines that I'm currently reading. I don't stress over finding things.

I too have used many different Apple machines, from desktops to laptops, to shelf components, to mobile gear. Not only recently but 20 years ago. Not just here in the USA, but also in Europe. So what does that prove?

Let me ask you this, because you have soooo much experience: How many hours have you spent using, trying and testing the iPad? Because only someone with several weeks of usage would be able to have such a definite opinion on a product. Oh wait... that's right... it's not even available yet. Go figure.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:

You don't know my set-up at home and do not know how comfortable it actually is. I used to freelance at home and sat in front of that desktop all day and never had any comfort issues.

Why do I need three hands to hold the iPad and read an eBook or magazine publication on it or a website or an email?

I also had a PowerBook (still have it, but hardly use it). So I know exactly what it's like using a laptop while on the couch, in bed or at a table. But it WAS a pain always picking it up, setting it aside, showing someone something on it or just carrying it around be it from one room to another or in a bag from one house to another. Been there, done that.

Actually I don't have to take it to the MacPro to charge, cause I'll have the charger by my couch. I'll use my existing cable that I have at my MacPro (for syncing iPod and iPhone) to sync the iPad once in awhile, not exactly sure for what. When even now, address book, apps, emails, all happen wirelessly and from the cloud/wifi on my iPhone. And currently we don't know how magazine publications will be updated. Yes, I might sync photos once every few weeks or once a month. I think I can handle that. Therefore, I will have my iPad usually in the living room. And guess what.... I actually have a very good memory and usually remember where I left things. Just like now, I always know where my other electronic devices are, my house keys or even magazines that I'm currently reading. I don't stress over finding things.

I too have used many different Apple machines, from desktops to laptops, to shelf components, to mobile gear. Not only recently but 20 years ago. Not just here in the USA, but also in Europe. So what does that prove?

Let me ask you this, because you have soooo much experience: How many hours have you spent using, trying and testing the iPad? Because only someone with several weeks of usage would be able to have such a definite opinion on a product. Oh wait... that's right... it's not even available yet. Go figure.

Don't mind him. He's afraid of the future.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    Quote:

The desk ergonomics doesn't lend itself well to the TV lounge environment.

Quote:

Your going to wish you had three hands, two to type and one to hold the iPad in place. Try typing on a clipboard while angling your legs up to support the iPad. You'll see.

Quote:

Same as the iPad. None of that changes.

Quote:

Actually I don't have to take it to the MacPro to charge, cause I'll have the charger by my couch. I'll use my existing cable that I have at my MacPro (for syncing iPod and iPhone) to sync the iPad once in awhile, not exactly sure for what. When even now, address book, apps, emails, all happen wirelessly and from the cloud/wifi on my iPhone.

So you already have a portable device to do all what you stated you intend to do with the iPad.

Quote:

And currently we don't know how magazine publications will be updated.

The iPad will not be the sole device with content, it will, just like with Kindle for the Mac, transgress over to the regular computer side of things as that is a much large market share than the niche iPad. The iPad has a glossy screen, hard on the eyes.

Quote:

Just that you should be more experienced in your ergonomic computing needs.

Quote:

Let me ask you this, because you have soooo much experience: How many hours have you spent using, trying and testing the iPad?

Tablet devices have been out a long time before the iPad and they haven't taken off due to the lack of ergonomic features laptops provide.

Go ahead and buy one, don't let me stop you. You apparently are a Apple favorite customer, one who has money to burn.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    Quote:

Your going to wish you had three hands, two to type and one to hold the iPad in place. Try typing on a clipboard while angling your legs up to support the iPad. You'll see.

So you already have a portable device to do all what you stated you intend to do with the iPad.

The iPad will not be the sole device with content, it will, just like with Kindle for the Mac, transgress over to the regular computer side of things as that is a much large market share than the niche iPad.

Tablet devices have been out a long time before the iPad and they haven't taken off due to the lack of ergonomic features laptops provide.

Go ahead and buy one, don't let me stop you. You apparently are a Apple favorite customer, one who has money to burn.

Someone's in denial. If your head was any deeper in the sand you'd see China.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    Quote:

Well he will just have to experience the loss of circulation to his legs from sitting with his knees up supporting the iPad, the tired arms from holding and using the device and keeping it from falling on the floor.

When he could have his legs up on a ottoman, MacBook on his lap, arms resting comfortably on the rests, screen adjusted to meet his vision, moving his hands just a little to reach the trackpad and being happy.

When it comes to being a comfortable computer using geek, I've got 30 years of experience.

I'm also a computer geek, going back to the days of the Commodore Pet. I'll be getting an iPad with a Keyboard.

One reason is so that my children can do homework, without being at their iMac. It's more than adequate for that.

Me, I'll also be using it. Mainly for sitting on the couch or backyard reading PDFs, and monitoring websites (Google Adwords). No flash - not an issue.

My main workhorse is a 27 inch iMac and I'm looking forward to doing work away from my desk. I have a 13inch Macbook, and just like I dislike eating by balancing a plate on my legs, I don't find it relaxing to use a laptop in that manner.

I bought a Dell Mini 9 for the couch, but I really don't like using it there either. It's not comfortable.

For me, the iPad looks to be perfect for what I plan to use it for. If it is "just a big iPod Touch" then it will definitely be perfect. The cost isn't an issue, even if I could get a laptop for a few dollars more. I have a laptop and I don't use it in the scenarios where I plan to use the iPad.

The dollars spent to purchase will result in more billable hours.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Quote:

The iPad will not be the sole device with content, it will, just like with Kindle for the Mac, transgress over to the regular computer side of things as that is a much large market share than the niche iPad. The iPad has a glossy screen, hard on the eyes.

You know... you are starting to get annoying. Until now, I listened to your talking points. Then I listed MY reasons for why I want to get an iPad (after eventually trying it out in the store). I was trying to have a civilized back and forth about why I feel the iPad will fit my needs. I can understand why you feel a laptop is a better deal and better for you -- I accepted that and never put down your decision. However, for some reason you can't accept my reasons. Because obviously whatever I say is not good enough for you.

So I will just stop responding with my reasons. And then you will have no one to have this "conversation" with. And all you'll hear is crickets as I and hopefully everyone else ignores you.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Just give it a rest already. Bkerkay is an adult and can make decisions for himself. You yourself said it, "don't let me stop you". Well guess what, he won't. And you know what, if you don't want him to let you stop him from buying an iPad, then maybe you should give up trying to stop him from buying one. BTW, I'm gonna buy an iPad just because you so badly don't want us to.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

At last it comes out - Woohoo is a retrograde old fart geek who MUST have an upright chair, a screen and a tactile keyboard to be able to compute!! Poor guy! Bet you don't use one of them new-fangled scroll wheel mouses either do ya!" If I wanna scroll - I got a scroll bar to scroll with - thank-you very much!" No untoward and un-geeklike knee-bending for him - no sir! Can't rest his tired, carpal-tunnelled palms on a palm rest to type with - fergedaboutit!

Gimmee that OLDTIME COMPUTING! Back in the day when we was bathed in the glow of monochrome monitors green gleams of that stream of electrons exciting ma CRT screen and giving me "screen-tan" Yessir! Thems was the days - when it took a pound of finger pressure to depress a key and that sucker had to travel a good 1/8th inch to activate that switch below it! Ahhhh the clattering din of the computer lab! We we didn't need no touch-screen multitouch nonsense to do our computing! No sir! We did it the old way, the hard way and WE LIKED IT!

You all are friggin' panty-waisted whiners who wouldn't know real computing if it decomplied right in front of you! Hallelujah!!! Sinnars! Repent and turn back from the easy ways of ultra-portable multitouch before you get sucked in by the undertow of ease and convenience and find yourselves stranded groping for a keyboard - ha! Then you'll be sorry! Then you'll wish you had listened to old Woohoo and his wisdom! BUt no, I'll just set me back in my comfy chair, my feet in my slippers up on the ottoman, letting the heat of my Macbook warm my tired and arthritic knees as I adjust my carpal braces and grimace in the glow of my screen at yer tomfoolery! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.......*cough* *cough*

(for the record, I'm probably the same age - just more limber and mobile *grin*)
  • Reply 93 of 102
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

You know... you are starting to get annoying

He's just now getting annoying?

Is it really necessary to quote the ENTIRE posts from people?

People like him will either get it, or be like the angry slashdot nerds who swear the iPod is only successful because of Apple's brand awareness or advertising, and not the merits of the product.

Either way, I will still enjoy my iPad that he's positive no one will like
  • Reply 94 of 102
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

A...

Gimmee that OLDTIME COMPUTING! .....letting the heat of my Macbook warm my tired and arthritic knees as I adjust my carpal braces and grimace in the glow of my screen at yer tomfoolery! hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.......*cough* *cough*

(for the record, I'm probably the same age - just more limber and mobile *grin*)

Thanks! That was a nice start to my day!
  • Reply 95 of 102
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Sometimes I read books or magazines while sitting in a chair or on the sofa. Somehow I manage to do this without three arms (especially the page turning bit). Clearly I must be some sort of freak of nature to do this, so I think I'll cope when I get an iPad.

Sometimes, I also write short emails, or type things into my iPhone. I also manage this while sitting on the sofa. Amazingly, I might just manage this on the iPad too.

Sometimes, I also use my 15" MBP on the sofa. It's a bit of a pain in the arse as I have to lean forward to type when it's on my lap; but I manage it somehow. If I'm being particularly lazy and I'm lying down on the sofa, it's even more tricky -- the screens in the right place, but the keyboard is on top of my stomach. I can cope with typing short pieces using these incredible things provided to us by mother nature -- my arms.

Frankly, it's amazing that I'm not an arthritic hunchback by now. But, as I'm not, I think I'll get by with an iPad.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Yup, that's it. That's why tablet computers have failed so far. Nothing to do with the crappy OS...
  • Reply 97 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Yup, that's it. That's why tablet computers have failed so far. Nothing to do with the crappy OS...

Or that Woohoo! is comparing on using tablet devices that weight 3-4-5 pounds as opposed to the 1.5 lbs of the iPad.
  • Reply 98 of 102
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Or that Woohoo! is comparing on using tablet devices that weight 3-4-5 pounds as opposed to the 1.5 lbs of the iPad.

I've yet to see a Woohoo post that compares anything with anything and the comparison ends up being logical, well thought out, succinct, precise or worth any further reading.

I'm his age, little older maybe, he appears to have a circa 2007 MacBook that cost him the last of his retirement funds - so that's that. He ain't never gonna buy nothin' agin.

So Apple and it's 'luxury' devices (his words) are a waste, as are we who intend to buy them.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

So Apple keeps morphing into a SONY of the 21st century. So much for a serious computing platform with the iPad. iPad looks more and more like a toy mobile device than anything serious.

Oh well waiting for an i5 13" MBP, whenever Apple get back to serious computing that is.

Oh, will you stop your whining, please!?. "Whenever Apple get back to serious computing" ? What a load of B.S.! The Mac is Apple's core business, its bread and butter, and the MacBooks are its best selling computers. You think Apple has forgotten about that? Rubbish!

The updates for the Pro line of Macs is running late, yes, but that has nothing to do with the iPad or iPhone. Apple CAN'T update their Macs if they can't get the Intel® chips they need for it. Simple as that. And at the moment Intel can't (or won't) deliver enough of the Core i5 and Core i7 to Apple so they can update their Mac Pros and MacBook Pros.

So if you MUST bitch and whine about something, turn your anger towards Intel. Apple KNOWS full well that their Mac offerings are overdue for a refresh, but they can't build them if they can't get the new CPU's. I think you already knew that.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    I've been wondering what drives all you iPad naysayers and Apple haters in general. For reasons that escape me there's quite a lot of you even on this dedicated AppleInsider forum. Why do you Apple haters want to spend time on a forum for Apple enthusiasts anyway? I just don't get it.

You don't seriously believe you can sway the opinion of us, the Mac users, do you? Or do you really believe that your anti Apple rants will somehow make us go: "Oh yeah, that's right. I better ditch my MacBook Pro and get one of them Dell netbooks" or "Oh yeah, that's right the iPhone is a sissy phone, I better get one of them racehorse-ducttaped-to-a-scudmissile macho Droids" ?

Seriously, what makes you guys, who clearly hate everything Apple, come to Apple forums like this and spend your time writing hundreds of trite anti-Apple posts in the style of "Macs are just toys" and the like? No, seriously I would like to know? What do you hope to achieve?

When you poo poo the iPad, for instance, and call "FAIL!" even before it's hit the store shelves, is it then because you really THINK it's going to fail, or is it rather because you fear it's going to be very succesful? If it's the latter, could you please explain to me why you fear Apple's success so much? Thanks.