Apple again sells contract-free, carrier-locked US iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post

Seriously?

Your best counter-argument was to try to find the most expensive microSD card on the market?

Why in the world would anyone purposely buy the most expensive option if we're talking about trying to save money?

That was just sad. Pathetic attempt at a rebuttal.

The Nexus One is cheaper; bottom line. Get over it.

You're not trying to save money or you wouldn't be using the Nexus One as the smartphone of choice when there are plenty of cheaper Android-based smartphones on the market. You're lameduck goal was prove that the iPhone is so overpriced by finding the cheapest Flash you could find.

You've also failed to address all my other point about how microSD is the slowest Flash out there even at it's fastest speed. That 1GHz Nexus One can't help you out there. There is a reason why apps are internal NAND-only and why MS is not allowing SD cards for WinPh7 (or did they change that?).
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're not trying to save money or you wouldn't be using the Nexus One as the smartphone of choice when there are plenty of cheaper Android-based smartphones on the market. You're lameduck goal was prove that the iPhone is so overpriced by finding the cheapest Flash you could find.

People who buy N1s are buying it because they like the product, not because it's expensive.

And that actually wasn't the cheapest one I could find. The most inexpensive one is $41:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820157041

The one I linked previously is the highest reviewed one on Newegg, meaning I chose quality over anything else.

Quote:

You've also failed to address all my other point about how microSD is the slowest Flash out there even at it's fastest speed. That 1GHz Nexus One can't help you out there. There is a reason why apps are internal NAND-only and why MS is not allowing SD cards for WinPh7 (or did they change that?).

The reason for the limitation is actually a security issue for paid apps, not speed. They don't want people buying apps, and moving them to other phones.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That was for the original iPhone (Full price & contract). Now you don't need to signed a 2 year contract but you need to sign up for a data plan.

Actually, this was less than 2 months ago. That iPhone had become a toy for my 6 year old until my teen pestered me to let him have it as a phone. So, AT&T informed me that if I wanted to use it with them, I had to do a 2 year contract. Period.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:

Well there you go.

A hearty 'Lol' @ all the sheepboys that said "awmagad $530 for a Nexus One, that's so expensive". Yeah, well the iPhone is even more.

No wonder Apple wants to sue; it's better AND cheaper.

From the reviews and reports the Nexus One is worth about 1/3 of what people pay for it. If that much actually, and enjoy the inferior screen, touch points, half baked multi-touch and copy / paste that only works between a couple of the apps oh and customer support you get with it.. *cough*
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Boy am I excited. I've been holding out since January with hope to get the iPhone in June, then I hear rumours that they might delay the launch until next year to coincide with the launch of the 4G network.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Actually, this was less than 2 months ago. That iPhone had become a toy for my 6 year old until my teen pestered me to let him have it as a phone. So, AT&T informed me that if I wanted to use it with them, I had to do a 2 year contract. Period.

Yes. That's why I said the original iPhone required a contract. I don't now if it is possible with the original iPhone but with iPhone 3G and 3GS you can use any AT&T SIM card (even prepaid ones). However, AT&T will enroll you in a data plan if they catch you using an iPhone without one. As long as you have a data plan for your iPhone (3G or 3GS) they can't force you to sign a contract.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Lets see $530+$50=$580

Then you gotta pay some for shipping.

You must be very poor if twenty bucks is "epic", what you gettin' three bucks an hour to flip burgers or something?

Quote:

Oh really?

And "Always" eh?

Effing fail of EPIC proportions.

• Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

From the reviews and reports the Nexus One is worth about 1/3 of what people pay for it. If that much actually, and enjoy the inferior screen, touch points, half baked multi-touch and copy / paste that only works between a couple of the apps oh and customer support you get with it.. *cough*

The screen is VASTLY superior, as every single person who has ever reviewed / seen the device has said. (Obviously you have never seen one in person.)

The multi-touch works perfectly fine for me, and the copy/paste this is just 100% wrong.

Copy/paste works anywhere that you can type. I'm not sure where you heard this misinformation from about only a few apps. Can you link it?

Also, copy/paste was included from Day 1. *COUGH*
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Lets see $530+$50=$580

Then you gotta pay some for shipping.

You must be very poor if twenty bucks is "epic", what you gettin' three bucks an hour to flip burgers or something?

Free overnight shipping for the N1.

Free shipping for the microSD card I linked.

Fail.

Also, when someone makes a claim and includes the word "ALWAYS", you better be darn well sure you've got your facts right. In this case, he very much wasn't. This is the problem with the sheep; everyone goes off of rumors and emotions without any facts at all.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Meh...

Maybe if the iPhone had memory expansion, an actual widescreen display at 480x800 (or better), freedom from iTunes, and greater codec support, this might be more appealing, but as it stands - this is just too much money for far too old technology.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    "contract-free, carrier-locked" = oxymoron

Hm, I wonder what AT&T will ask you to sign 20 minutes later when you try to activate the iPhone? What's that? A 2 year contract? Mandatory voice+data plan starting at how much?

Hell, AT&T is still forcing people who buy old iPhones which have the subsidy for them completely paid off, to sign new 2-year contracts at the same rates as those of you 'buying' new iPhones...
  • Reply 32 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The screen is VASTLY superior, as every single person who has ever reviewed / seen the device has said. (Obviously you have never seen one in person.)

The multi-touch works perfectly fine for me, and the copy/paste this is just 100% wrong.

Copy/paste works anywhere that you can type. I'm not sure where you heard this misinformation from about only a few apps. Can you link it?

Also, copy/paste was included from Day 1. *COUGH*

Exhibit A: http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/09/iph...n-performance/

Exhibit B: http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

Exhibit C: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29549105

Exhibit D: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...4909ac47&hl=en

Exhibit E: http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...-fps-drag-race

PS: If it's such a great product at such a great price why has sold it less units than a child's lemonade stand?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Free overnight shipping for the N1.

Free shipping for the microSD card I linked.

Fail.

Also, when someone makes a claim and includes the word "ALWAYS", you better be darn well sure you've got your facts right. In this case, he very much wasn't. This is the problem with the sheep; everyone goes off of rumors and emotions without any facts at all.

And again, where are the mods? This is an Apple-centric site (at least I thought it was, maybe those days are past?) so routinely yelling about "sheep" is simply a trolling provocation.

If people want less reflexive Apple support and more nuanced conversation, then they would support banning this kind of nonsense, because all it does it tend to drive threads into reaction.

Show me the Android discussion board where you get to call people "Freetards" a lot without getting your ass booted.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

"contract-free, carrier-locked" = oxymoron

Imagine buying a car that's locked to one gas station, one highway, and one way to get to and from work. Would any sane person put up with that?

(Couldn't resist throwing a car analogy into the mix. As bad as it is.)

• Reply 35 of 42
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    They do this simply to clear inventory? How about send some of these goodies to places like here where has very limited 3GS since launch?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    This is just a tease. Why sell something without contract and then lock it to a 3-party that is not even part of the contract of sale between you and Apple?

In my part of the woods when you buy a iPhone from Apple there is no carrier lock. That is as it should be.

Apple and AT&T clearly have an agreement which provides for this which places their priorities ahead of their customers.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I've never understood the gripe about AT&T. I've had them since they bought Cingular, waaay before I had an iPhone and they've been great. I've had no service problems, no problems with dropped calls, and no problems with slow data speeds. Granted, I don't live in a big city, so that probably helps...

IF the iPhone was unlocked, and I had a choice...I'd still go to AT&T...maybe that's why Apple has stuck with them...just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

I doubt many people have seen a Nexus One in person. Google just haven't sold enough of them...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    So, to sum it all up:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

What kind of price point is $700 for a carrier-locked phone, especially with that small screen resolution, versus $530?

Quote:

A hearty 'Lol' @ all the sheepboys that said "awmagad $530 for a Nexus One, that's so expensive". Yeah, well the iPhone is even more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The low-end 8GB iPhone 3G sells for $499

Quote:

Fail.

• Reply 40 of 42
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't wait until legislation requires a paid in full phone to be unlocked.

A fully unlocked 32GB 3GS iphone retails at about $1000 US (take out the tax is about $900 US) in Europe --- just go to various European carriers websites that sells unlocked iphone for prices. So there is aboiut a $200 US difference between the two.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tranquility View Post

Imagine buying a car that's locked to one gas station, one highway, and one way to get to and from work. Would any sane person put up with that?

(Couldn't resist throwing a car analogy into the mix. As bad as it is.)

Buy an electric car and you will have only one way to fill it up --- you local utility monopoly. Also plenty of dealerships were giving you something like a $1000 gas card (with their gas station partners) when you buy a car (when gas prices were high several years ago).