i really need some advice...please read and help me out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hello everybody. im in a pretty bad situation. i have last generations black macbook with me at college. last week i went to the beach on spring break with my laptop(dumb). one of my drunk friends must have hit the screen because it has a pretty bad crack and is spreading. i need a cpu for college and this will not do. estimates say it will cost around $700 to fix the screen and i think thats too much. i am curious to see how much you guys think i can get for a perfectly working black macbook(minus the screen) to go towards a new imac(im done with laptops)? thank you so much for any help and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It would appear your "shift" key is also broken. (Although you were able to eke out a question mark and dollar sign and some parenthesis... hmm...)

Well, a brand new (better specs) MacBook can be had for less than $999... and screens ARE expensive to replace. A buyer's best bet would be to obtain a second broken machine, but with a good screen... and put the two of them together.

With that in mind, I'd be surprised if you could get more than $100 for it as-is.

I CERTAINLY wouldn't spend $700 to fix it... for a couple hundred more you get a better machine with a new warranty!

Then again, didn't P.T. Barnum say there was a sucker born every minute?... Maybe you can get considerably more than my meager estimate from someone Anyway, that's all the "help" I can provide.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smith3jt View Post

hello everybody. im in a pretty bad situation. i have last generations black macbook with me at college. last week i went to the beach on spring break with my laptop(dumb). one of my drunk friends must have hit the screen because it has a pretty bad crack and is spreading. i need a cpu for college and this will not do. estimates say it will cost around $700 to fix the screen and i think thats too much. i am curious to see how much you guys think i can get for a perfectly working black macbook(minus the screen) to go towards a new imac(im done with laptops)? thank you so much for any help and thanks for reading.

It's foolish to pay far more to fix it than it's worth once fixed. Are you near a Microcenter store? They have an outstanding sale through the end of this month (I think) which can net you a new current-generation Macbook for $800 or perhaps an open-box one for $720. I just picked up a new one for my wife last week.

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0321997
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Another thought... since you say you want to move to a desktop anyway....

Just get a new (or used) monitor for less than $100... plug it into the MacBook and set it to mirroring, then just quit using the MacBook's screen at all.

(I'm assuming your particular model has video out ... probably Mini DVI.)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smith3jt View Post

Take your hit for being irresponsible and buy another machine, transfer the files over since it still works, erase the hard drive and contact online repair sites to see how much they will pay for it for parts or ebay it.