A third of Apple iPad buyers plan to read books, newspapers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
More than a third of those eyeing Apple's forthcoming iPad will read books, newspapers and magazines on the touchscreen device, a new study has found.

In a poll of 2,176 consumers released this week, comScore found that 37 percent of potential iPad owners said it is "likely" that they will read books on the device. Another 34 percent said they would read newspapers and magazines.

Ironically, those totals are more than the 26 percent of respondents who said they would download software from the App Store, suggesting consumers may be confused as to how they will access books and newspapers on the device. Apple's iBooks application, which includes the iBookstore marketplace, will not come preinstalled on the iPad, and must be downloaded from the App Store.

The study also found that consumers who are already a part of the Apple mobile ecosystem, referred to by comScore as "iOwners," are more likely to pay for newspaper and magazine subscriptions than others. In all, 52 percent of "iOwners" said they were willing to subscribe to print content formatted for an e-reader, while 22 percent of all other consumers said they would be willing to subscribe.

"These findings suggest that those who are already familiar and comfortable with making digital content purchases via iTunes may have a relatively higher receptivity to making similar purchases for the iPad," the report said.

The survey provides some insight as to how users plan to use the new portable multimedia device, which goes on sale April 3. The most popular option for users is browsing the Internet, with 50 percent saying they will access their favorite Web sites via the iPad.

Close behind is checking e-mail, which 48 percent of respondents said they plan to do. In addition, 38 percent will listen to music, 37 percent will use the address book and contact list functionality, and 36 percent plan to watch videos and movies.

The study also found that consumer awareness of the iPad has matched that of Amazon's Kindle, with 65 percent of respondents having heard of both. Demand for the iPad has also exceeded the Kindle, as 15 percent said they will seriously consider buying an iPad, while 14 percent would consider the Kindle.

That supports another study released earlier this month that found that interest in the Amazon Kindle has waned after the iPad was introduced in late January. Until now, the Kindle has been far-and-away the e-reader market leader, but its black-and-white e-ink display makes it suitable for a very limited number of tasks.

Additional discoveries from the comScore study include:

Consumers are generally happy with the "iPad" name, with 49 percent having a positive impression and 27 percent indifferent. The results are also gender-neutral, with both men and women having the same reaction.

Unsurprisingly, those who already preordered an iPad are likely to already own an iPhone or iPod touch. But 15 percent of both "iOwners" and "non-iOwners" said they are likely to buy.

In terms of cannibalism, 37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch. But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

AT&T customers are more likely to buy the iPad in its first three months, with 25 percent of them stating their intent. But just 10 percent of Verizon subscribers said they will buy an iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Not this kid.

1. Internet

2. Test apps
  • Reply 2 of 60
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I'll be on the line next week saturday.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In terms of cannibalism, 37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch. But only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

If that's true, then I guess a huge portion of iPod Touch owners don't use their iPods for listening to music on the go.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:

37 percent "likely" that they will read books on the device.

The new higher costs is obviously a issue.

e-Books have already started coming to Mac's with Amazon's Kindle for the Mac software. CourseSmart has textbooks, lets one read less than 20% to judge and get a refund if they don't like it.

Really don't need another device for that, unless you have children.

Quote:

34 percent said they would read newspapers and magazines.

Newspapers perhaps, but I doubt magazines would work well on a iPad, as a lot of magazine content is duplicated on the net an not subject to advertiser influence like it is on a magazine. (only exception would be Consumer Reports)

Quote:

50 percent saying they will access their favorite Web sites via the iPad.

Same situation as computers, people will turn to the net first for content.

Quote:

48 percent check email

Duplicate computer or smaller device functionality

Quote:

38 percent will listen to music

Need large storage, 64GB isn't enough for music and everything else for a lot of folks.

Quote:

37 percent will use the address book and contact list functionality

dupe functionality

Quote:

36 percent plan to watch videos and movies.

Need large storage and constant syncing with main computer, a chore. People will opt for a large non-reflective screen for watching movies first, the iPad second for long stays away from their TV.

Quote:

37 percent of respondents said they are most likely to have the iPad replace an iPod touch

OUCH! Just a bigger iPod Touch, talk about cannibalism.

Quote:

only 22 percent of consumers said they would use an iPad in place of a netbook.

Netbooks gives a lot more ergonomic features, it holds the screen in place to match the eyes, has a real tactile feel keyboard, lots more storage and the screen doesn't get all scratched up. Also for $300 you get the complete standalone machine, the iPad requires additional purchases to function and another computer to operate.

Apple created the ultimate up-sale device with the iPad, for $499 it gets one in the door, but over time with additional necessities, like a keyboard, stand, case, more storage, etc. the price comes up to what one could have bought a MacBook for.

If your main Mac goes down, one can use the MacBook to help, boot into Firewire target disk mode, but with the iPad one can't. Something to think about.

The iPad provides no essential use for the general computing public like the iPod did. It will sell as well as a iPod Touch does and for gaming purposes chiefly is my guess. It all could change if Apple solves a new market need.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Of course e-reading is going to be a big draw for iPad customers. It interests me, I want to read books, magazines and newspapers on the iPad - as well as everything else it offers.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    iPad Buyer:

Read eBooks - Check

Read online Newspapers - Nope

Surf non-flash websites - Check

Play iPad Games - Check

Watch movies - Nope (maybe while traveling, prob not tho')

Listen to Music on the go - Nope, iPhone for that.

Manage Household Calendars, shopping lists, etc - Check

Write the great american novel - Nope :-)
  • Reply 7 of 60
    The numbers don't surprise me except the near tie in interest in purchasing a Kindle vs. iPad. I guess those numbers will shift in favor of the iPad once the device actually hits the streets.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I don't see prospective iPad owners as being "confused" about downloading software vs. e-books, newspapers and magazines. I think the assumption is that Apple will bundle an e-book reader with the iPad, thus enabling such a thing without downloading software. As for buying software, that's a pretty theoretical opportunity at this point. Put an iPad in people's hands and give them compelling software choices and they will become downloaders of software. But asking that question now doesn't really make sense.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I'll be ahead of you. Going Thursday night
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Pretty dope-y survey.

Headline translated: "Two-thirds of those who will have plonked down a few hundred dollars for the iPad will not read books or newspapers/magazines on iPad!"

Yeah, sure.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

If that's true, then I guess a huge portion of iPod Touch owners don't use their iPods for listening to music on the go.

If my iPod buying history is any indication the cannibalizing of one iPod could mean the purchase of another iPod so I don't think we can assume that they don't use their Touch for music.

For instance, I have never had an iPod Classic, started with the Mini, but with the iPhone came out I scraped it as my music player buy also bought an iPod Shuffle. I'm tentatively considering replacing my iPhone with an iPad since I honestly dislike making/taking phone calls, can use Google Voice when needed, almost always carry a book with anyway and save $40+/month in the process. If carry an iPad as a music player doesn't work out I can just use my Shuffle or, more likely, buy a Nano.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Don't buy too many. I will be their in a couple of weeks and need at least two!!!
  • Reply 13 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I must admit I listen to less music and tend to read more with my iPod Touch. At one time I'd kill time in a waiting room for example listening to music on my iPod whereas now I'd rather catch up on AppleIsider or CNN, BBC, NPR etc. Just remembering to carry my reading glasses everywhere is the only problem.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't see prospective iPad owners as being "confused" about downloading software vs. e-books, newspapers and magazines. I think the assumption is that Apple will bundle an e-book reader with the iPad, thus enabling such a thing without downloading software. As for buying software, that's a pretty theoretical opportunity at this point. Put an iPad in people's hands and give them compelling software choices and they will become downloaders of software. But asking that question now doesn't really make sense.

Exactly, surveys and polls are very good at getting the answers they want to get most times. Like asking a poll question "Do you agree with Healthcare reform?" answer from a Republican = "No." Now ask the same person, "if your wife became sick with cancer would you want your insurance company to tell you you had reached the limit of what they'd pay and you were going to have to sell your house for the next treatment or she dies." Now see what the answer is.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It makes sense to have the iBook App pre-installed in the iPad, iPod and iPhone with the billing info tied directly to the App Store. It would just be much more efficient than having to download the app and then enter the billing info again!

Also, Apple needs to charge freeloaders like Google, Facebook and even You Tube for a cut of the add revenues. Google in particular has been having a free ride off everybody's work like newspapers, books, etc. Time somebody cut them to size... besides China.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:

I don't.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I must admit I listen to less music and tend to read more with my iPod Touch. At one time I'd kill time in a waiting room for example listening to music on my iPod whereas now I'd rather catch up on AppleIsider or CNN, BBC, NPR etc. Just remembering to carry my reading glasses everywhere is the only problem.

Funny.

I'm exactly the same on almost every one of your points. (especially the glasses part)
  • Reply 18 of 60
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Funny.

I'm exactly the same on almost every one of your points. (especially the glasses part)

Me too. Don't forget the AP app, though.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i will surf the web and use logmein ignition on mine. maybe play a game or two. if i want to read, i will still use my kindle. the screen on the kindle is perfect for reading. a glass screen will not be good for reading a book.....
  • Reply 20 of 60
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

...a glass screen will not be good for reading a book.....

sure won't, the whole screen film, protector, anti-reflective/glare, anti-scratch, issue will arise again.

oh brother...

And 36% are UNLIKELY to download a app from the App Store! WOW!

Apple has got a problem.