Steve Jobs e-mail suggests AT&T will not sell Apple iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A recent e-mail from Apple co-founder Steve Jobs stated the forthcoming iPad will initially be sold only in Apple retail and online stores, as well as Best Buy. In addition, other e-mails regarding Mac refreshes, the iPhone OS e-mail client and iWork.com storage were reportedly sent by the billionaire.

The response from Jobs regarding iPad sales was brief, as usual, and was sent from the chief executive's iPhone. It was in response to an inquiry as to whether the iPad would be available for purchase with Apple's authorized resellers.

"Initially at Apple Retail and online stores and Best Buy," Jobs replied via e-mail. A copy was provided to AppleInsider.

The statement would mean that AT&T, despite being the exclusive wireless provider for the iPad in the U.S., will not sell the iPad in its own retail stores, at least at first. The iPad will be released on April 3.

In February, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook revealed that the iPad would be available at Best Buy and other assisted locations. He said that other retail outlets will be added in time.

iPad users who opt for the 3G-capable hardware, which carries a $130 premium, can add AT&T service to their device at any time without signing a contract. The carrier will offer data for $15 per month for 250MB, or $30 per month for unlimited access.

Other Jobs e-mails

In addition to the comment on retail stores, Jobs has allegedly sent a number of other e-mails in recent days that have generated publicity.

In one note, Jobs was asked if there was a way to get documents onto the iPad through iWork.com or the iDisk. Jobs responded: "Yes."

As previously noted by AppleInsider, Apple has targeted business users as potential iPad customers, adding features designed to make the device attractive to the enterprise market. The iPad will sync documents with iTunes, just like the iPhone currently does, and will also access cloud, Web, and local file shares.

Also this week, MacRumors was provided a copy of one note in which Jobs told a consumer "not to worry" about a forthcoming MacBook Pro refresh. The person wrote Jobs after they said they were "losing heart in the lack of vision" for the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro hardware.

Finally, TUAW received word from a reader who asked Jobs if the iPhone would ever receive a universal inbox in its mail client. Jobs simply replied: "Yep." Currently the iPhone OS only allows for multiple e-mail accounts to have separately accessible inboxes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also this week, MacRumors was provided a copy of one note in which Jobs told a consumer "not to worry" about a forthcoming MacBook Pro refresh. The person wrote Jobs after they said they were "losing heart in the lack of vision" for the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro hardware.

You've only quoted part of the mail. The full message read:

'Not to worry. All matter is just merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is just a dream. And we are the imagination of ourselves. And Flash sux.'
  • Reply 2 of 42
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Given that all US mobile carriers currently offer 3G netbooks (the device to which Stevie J compares the iPad - \ ), one would reason that the iPad would be sold through these venues as well.

Apple is probably just waiting to gauge the initial popularity of the device, and move from there.

We'll See Soon Enough...
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Threaded emails would be nice as well. Being able to adjust calendar alerts on the iPhone to longer than 2 days is also much needed.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

'Not to worry. All matter is just merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is just a dream. And we are the imagination of ourselves. And Flash sux.'

Haha, nice.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    People go to a AT&T Store to buy a phone, not a combo device like a iPad.

Also the iPad is dependent upon another computer, needs more accessories and such, so Apple wants the opportunity to upsell the purchaser of a iPad. Something AT&T won't do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_sell

Also Steve has been quite chatty lately, I'm wondering if he's at home and bored because he's not feeling so hot?

Unlikely he would be answering emails if he was busy at Cupertino. :/

Nice of him to reach out to his fans a little.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    hahaha @ "the billionaire" - like that's his most distinguishing feature.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    The 3g iPad doesn't go on sale for a few weeks after the Wifi-only iPad.

I'd think AT&T would carry the 3G version when it launches.

Maybe Jobs was referring to retailers that will be carrying the iPad in the beginning of April?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Home? I wonder what kind of digs he is using/renting while waiting for his shack to be torn down and rebuilt?
  • Reply 9 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

"Initially at Apple Retail and online stores and Best Buy," Jobs replied via e-mail. A copy was provided to AppleInsider.

The statement would mean that AT&T, despite being the exclusive wireless provider for the iPad in the U.S., will not sell the iPad in its own retail stores, at least at first. The iPad will be released on April 3.

My first thought was 'duh'. cause the 3g models are not out.

Not to mention that they apparently aren't handling the ipad data service via typical accounts so what would it service ATT to have them in store anyway
  • Reply 10 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

The statement would mean that AT&T, despite being the exclusive wireless provider for the iPad in the U.S.

So AT&T is the ONLY way to use wireless with the iPad?

Has Apple used the word "exclusive" (not available with anyone else) with the AT&T data plans?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

hmm.. good
  • Reply 12 of 42
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Finally, TUAW received word from a reader who asked Jobs if the iPhone would ever receive a universal inbox in its mail client. Jobs simply replied: "Yep." Currently the iPhone OS only allows for multiple e-mail accounts to have separately accessible inboxes.

Thats good to know.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

yes and no. Unlike the phone there is no software or hardware sim lock that would have to be breached (and void any warranties) to use someone else. So in that sense, no. HOWEVER, at the moment ATT is the only US carrier with the right radio service and using micro sim cards to be able to carry the ipad. If T-Mobile or anyone else steps up on those two issues, it's all good.

Quote:

Has Apple used the word "exclusive" (not available with anyone else) with the AT&T data plans?

the quoted plans are exclusive to ATT. anyone else can offer whatever they want.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Steve has been quite chatty lately, I'm wondering if he's at home and bored because he's not feeling so hot?

Perhaps he's feeling better than he has in years.

Quote:

Unlikely he would be answering emails if he was busy at Cupertino. :/

He wouldn't need his iPhone to answer e-mails at the Apple Campus either, but it would come in very handy during downtime away from Cupertino, such as while attending the Academy Awards.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    What's that quote again Steve?

"isn't it funny, a ship that leaks from the top?"
  • Reply 16 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This Steve guy just answers anything. They really need to can that guy and stop the leaks!
  • Reply 17 of 42
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:

AT&T is the defacto exclusive provider of the the 3g iPad in the US. The iPad 3g uses the GSM/UTSM (?)[my acronyms fail me] standard. There is no other provider in the US that uses these frequencies for data.

T-Mobile uses GSM, but they use a propriatary spectrum for their '3g' data service.

So, internationally, the iPad is 'unlocked', all you have to do is swap the micro-SIM card and viola! you have changed networks.

However, in the US, there is no other network to change TO.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

AT&T is the defacto exclusive provider of the the 3g iPad in the US.

You mean "defacto exclusive provider" of the 3g data plan for the iPad.

AT&T will not even sell the iPad (as of yet).

Quote:

The iPad 3g uses the GSM/UTSM (?)[my acronyms fail me] standard. There is no other provider in the US that uses these frequencies for data.

T-Mobile uses GSM, but they use a propriatary spectrum for their '3g' data service.

However, in the US, there is no other network to change TO

There is no other 3G network to switch to though the iPad would work with T-Mobile EDGE.

My point is, did Apple use the word "exclusive" with the iPad, the same way they did with the iPhone and AT&T? I don't recall ever hearing it (in the iPad release video).

I don't believe it's "exclusive" in that Apple is limiting it only to AT&T with an exclusive contract. Only that AT&T is the only one offering a 3G data plan specifically for it.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

You mean "defacto exclusive provider" of the 3g data plan for the iPad.

AT&T will not even sell the iPad (as of yet).

it seems a little odd to ask a question and then get snippy on syntax with the person who tried to answer your question...

Quote:

There is no other 3G network to switch to though the iPad would work with T-Mobile EDGE.

...and then you don't read the answer he gave you!

It WOULD work with T-Mobile in the USA IF T-Mobile changes the spectrum they broadcast from their towers. That is a rather big if... And not worthy of consideration at this time.

Quote:

My point is that did Apple use the word "exclusive" with the iPod as they did with the iPhone and AT&T? I don't recall ever hearing it (in the iPad release video).

I don't believe it's "exclusive" in that Apple is limiting it only to AT&T with an exclusive contract. Only that AT&T is the only one offering a 3G data plan specifically for it.

Apple has no incentive or reason to throw around the word "exclusive" in this case, but it is the end result (in the USA) in the end.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I wasn't getting "snippy" (upset).

Quote:

It WOULD work with T-Mobile

It WILL work with T-Mobile (EDGE) but not on their 3G.

Quote:

Apple has no incentive or reason to throw around the word "exclusive" in this case

My point exactly.

Every website is using the word "exclusive" as if Apple had used it and AT&T is the only one who are authorized by Apple, the same way the word "exclusive" was used with the iPhone.

Quote:

and then you don't read the answer he gave you!

I did read & understand & respond to the answer he gave me.