Bush's Arab Secret Service agent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Not only is it incorrect but it's also out of context. Since when is it good forum to quote a fragment of someone's sentence?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Not only is it incorrect but it's also out of context. Since when is it good forum to quote a fragment of someone's sentence? <hr></blockquote>

Maybe you should show how the quote is either incorrect or out of context. I think that's what both BRussell and Samantha Joanne Ollendale are waiting for you to do.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    [quote]Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.

Simeon Strunsky

<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 24 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Maybe you should show how the quote is either incorrect or out of context. I think that's what both BRussell and Samantha Joanne Ollendale are waiting for you to do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It took me about 30 seconds using google to find the mistake. You'd think the person who posted it could be bothered?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Actually Scott, it wasn't the American Press that was offended. It was the Pakinstani Gov't and population, both in Pakistan, the U.S. and abroad.

It would be nice if our president was a little more informed of other countries cultures. Especially countries that we need to have strong alliances with right now.

Fran, while I undertand the problems with singling out Middle Eastern people, sometimes, if they have guns - on airplanes, its necessary to single them out - in light of current events. As I said before, it should've been something that the airlines prevented from becoming a problem in the first place.

I wonder if the airlines were to be 'federalized' if it would've prevented this from happening. We all know those private companies haven't been doing the best job possible. Oh well, the Reps decided it wan't a good idea - too expensive - so we'll never know. Enjoy the private security firms. I think they're the ones who dropped the ball on this.

But like I said, I don't know all the facts - none of us were there - so who knows for sure. All discussion will be opinionated conjecture in this thread.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Hmmm...Seb, you?re right that the details on this are still being sorted out. Now that I think about it, I suppose one of the scenarios is that the agent didn?t follow proper procedure by identifying himself to AA as an armed, secret service agent beforehand, which would have complicated matters immensely since AA would have had no way to verify his identity without contacting the agent?s supervisor. Which would put the fault on the secret service. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

I didn?t think that the proposal to federalize airport security would pass (mostly for the reasons that it didn?t?-not opinion here, just being realistic), but I agree that there needs to be some kind of federal accountability for those private security firms. Maybe having a federal airport security certification process that these firms would have to pass in order to qualify for an airport contract, and a means to track/rate these firms by incidents would be the answer?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    [quote]Fran, while I undertand the problems with singling out Middle Eastern people, sometimes, if they have guns - on airplanes, its necessary to single them out - in light of current events. As I said before, it should've been something that the airlines prevented from becoming a problem in the first place.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I agree with this because I don't think ANY American should have a gun on a plane, regardless of what ethnic background they might have. I think it's just better to keep guns off of planes altogether, regardless of whether or not the person is FBI, Secret Service, etc. Let's say that someone wanted to take control of the plane and managed to get that weapon somehow. All of a sudden, you have a BIG PROBLEM again. Just keep the guns off the planes, is that so hard?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>Actually Scott, it wasn't the American Press that was offended. It was the Pakinstani Gov't and population, both in Pakistan, the U.S. and abroad.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um? No it wasn't. This "insult" is a creation of the US press. Read the article.

[quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>It would be nice if our president was a little more informed of other countries cultures. Especially countries that we need to have strong alliances with right now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So he should learn all the different ways to insult everyone from every country when in every other country so he can avoid saying them? The guy misspoke and the people who were "supposed" to be offened weren't so where's the story?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Just keep the guns off the planes, is that so hard?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With ya there. Armed Sky Marshals on commercial flights? Do they realize what would happen if a gun fight broke out on a packed 747 at 30,000 feet?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by jesperas:

<strong>

With ya there. Armed Sky Marshals on commercial flights? Do they realize what would happen if a gun fight broke out on a packed 747 at 30,000 feet?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think we do know what happens. The paying passengers have to fight for their lives or get killed by some dim wit with a bomb built into their shoe.

Why can't they have some system to lock the guns up in the baggage compartment? Any "cop" could, just before the flight, check it in and then just after landing get it back. Why do they have to carry it onto the plane?

Right now, depending on the airline, I could check a gun/rifle in my bag. Why can't the various "cops" around the country do the same?

This case this the SS and pilot seems like two ego trip guys facing off. IMO the pilot has to go with his gut.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>