Apple requires six feet of space for sanctioned iPad display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Educational stores displaying Apple's forthcoming iPad must provide at least six feet of distance from any other product, sources familiar with the matter have said.

The official Apple policy applies to all products, including other ones from Apple. Those who do not comply with the rule will not be allowed to show the device in their store.

The iPad will be publicly available starting April 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Educational stores??so this is just about college bookstores?

6 feet sounds wider than a bookstore aisle?seems like a pretty annoying rule that helps nobody including Apple. I wonder if this rumor is a garbling of something else entirely.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I thought iPads were only being sold at Apple.com, in Apple retails stores and Best Buys.

• Reply 3 of 10
    Six feet in all directions, plus the display itself, you're talkin' at least 80 sq ft in the best case scenario, on a wall or at a corner. Yeah, good luck with that one, Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomwi53092 View Post

Six feet in all directions, plus the display itself, you're talkin' at least 80 sq ft in the best case scenario, on a wall or at a corner. Yeah, good luck with that one, Apple.

It is not at all onerous. My guess is that Apple will have a lot of luck with it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I think this is a great idea. Hopefully they will have some sort of proximity sensor that will cause the iPad to go dark if it is closer than six feet to another product that is also for sale.

The last thing we want is for a non-apple retailer to be bringing in customers to look at the fancy iPad only to try and sell them some other product that is within six feet of the iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    wow ... to have a say to where and how your product is displayed within a retail environment is an oscar, gold medal or a noble prize for above excellence in marketing. It's an honor to be working within Apple's strategic marketing team in this moment in history. Lucky them If they can only email me and give me the magical recipe on how to become so good at what i do, and be best.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Educational stores displaying Apple's forthcoming iPad must provide at least six feet of distance from any other product

I want to see the signs they put up:

"A magical and revolutionary product, an incredibly responsive Multi-Touch screen - DO NOT TOUCH!"
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    6 feet all around the iPad ? Why not suspending the device from the ceiling ? LOL
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I want to see the signs they put up:

"A magical and revolutionary product, an incredibly responsive Multi-Touch screen - DO NOT TOUCH!"

It has nothing to do with whether or not customers can touch the product. Apple's requirements will make it virtually impossible for potential customers to touch any other product while gawking at the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

wow ... to have a say to where and how your product is displayed within a retail environment is[sic] an oscar, gold medal or a noble[sic] prize for above excellence in marketing.

You've got to be kidding, right? Have you never worked in retail or even observed retail merchandising? Are you familiar with the term "planogram"? Have you never wondered why Duracell batteries are often displayed in a six-foot tall branded display in a completely different location than the other batteries for sale? Why don't stores put Pepsi and Dr. Pepper in a Coca-cola branded cooling display? Do you think it's the stores who make these decisions?