US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Leaders of the U.S. Army's technology command visited Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus earlier this month to talk about existing products, including the forthcoming iPad, and the development of new, user-friendly technology for use on the front lines.

Maj. Gen. Nick Justice, commanding general with Research, Development and Engineering Command, was joined by key members of his staff on the visit to Apple headquarters on March 5, the Army announced this week. Apple's "it just works" philosophy in particular has caught the Army's eye, as the military agency hopes to create future devices that are simple to use for its soldiers on the battlefield.

"Apple technologies offer unique and proven solutions with intuitive designs that allow users to learn quickly without a training manual," Ron Szymanski, lead computer scientist with the Army's Communications-Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center, reportedly said. "The Army would like to leverage Apple's experience when designing military operations."

The tour allowed the military officials to see Apple's laboratories and other facilities. Members of the Army also provided the company of examples where existing Apple products are in use on the battlefield. The report noted that the Army's research and development command is currently evaluating a number of handheld solutions from Apple, including the forthcoming iPad, as well as the iPhone, iPod, iMac and MacBook platforms.

The Army's use of Apple products has been growing for years. In 2008, it was revealed that the military had employed custom iPods for on-the-spot translating in Iraq. The new method offered soldiers the ability to translate with technology a fraction of the size and cost of the previously utilized technology.

Photo courtesy U.S. Army, credit C. Todd Lopez

The Army has also used Macs in its IT infrastructure to deter potential hacking attempts, and just last October implemented Apple hardware for video surveillance installations. The Mac hardware was selected, officials said, for security purposes.

This week's latest report noted that the Army's Communications-Electronics Research and Development Center has developed numerous command and control solutions for handheld devices like the iPhone. Currently, the agency is supporting the development and transition of two new iPhone applications: a counter-insurgency information collection tool known as COIN Collector, and a combined planning and social networking environment dubbed MilSpace.

In addition, the Army's official science and technology blog, Army Technology Live, reportedly released a public iPhone application last month, providing news, updates and media to military personnel all from one location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Who would Jesus bomb?
  • Reply 2 of 129
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Who would Jesus bomb?

[removed by author on second thought]
  • Reply 3 of 129
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!
  • Reply 4 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Please, no posting of your political and religious views. We have enough arguing here over the future of tech, we don't need to escalate it anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    No "questionable" apps for the app store, but helping in the murder of thousands is fine apparently.

Go Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 129
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

Just to clarify -

The U.S. military has been a customer of Apple since, at least, the release of The Macintosh. (1984)
  • Reply 7 of 129
    Alright for Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Another option for the iPad is a kevlar case.
  • Reply 9 of 129
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I have an inside scoop. The military is looking to buy a large supply of iPads which will be used during their high school recruitment programs. After taking an aptitude test on the iPad, the results of which are instantly sent to the Pentagon, kids get to play a game of "America's Army" with their classmates, plowing down those 'evil doers.'

Anyone who signs up that day gets to take the iPad home with them. More importantly though, they will learn what it means to be an American!
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Another option for the iPad is a kevlar case.

Sign me up for the Kevlar case with balistic glass bezel ;-) As long as it doesn't interfere with the touch interface, of course.

<-- I drop things /toe
  • Reply 11 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please, no posting of your political and religious views. We have enough arguing here over the future of tech, we don't need to escalate it anymore.

What about discussion of teh Jesus Phone?
  • Reply 12 of 129
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No "questionable" apps for the app store, but helping in the murder of thousands is fine apparently.

Go Apple!

What? You'd rather they use a Microsoft product? (Cue the 'blue screen of death' jokes)...
  • Reply 13 of 129
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    The iPad is most definitely not Solider proofed!
  • Reply 14 of 129
    Quote:

Just to clarify -

You make some points. The cold war was the reason for the vietnam fiasco. But on the whole I agree with you. It has a name and its called blow back. We are the modern day incarnation of Rome.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:

Just to clarify -

Next time someone threatens the US I say you go talk to them.
  • Reply 16 of 129
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

You make some points. The cold war was the reason for the vietnam fiasco. But on the whole I agree with you. It has a name and its called blow back. We are the modern day incarnation of Rome.

Isn't the Army primarily a Christian operation? Maybe they want to use the iPad for some type of crusade against the infidels.
  • Reply 17 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    AI "The Army has also used Macs in its IT infrastructure to deter potential hacking attempts, and just last October implemented Apple hardware for video surveillance installations. The Mac hardware was selected, officials said, for security purposes."

This is most reassuring.
  • Reply 18 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

AI "The Army has also used Macs in its IT infrastructure to deter potential hacking attempts, and just last October implemented Apple hardware for video surveillance installations. The Mac hardware was selected, officials said, for security purposes."

This is most reassuring.

It is an interesting situation isn't it? Apple was chose over WinTel PCs because of security. Of course, the military has over 30 years of experience locking down UNIX environments, so that may explain their comfort with OS X.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Now if only the Air Force being the most tech heavy would see the light. I am forced to use Windows OS (now Vista) we just upgraded from XP like 4 months ago or so, on top of Adobe software, which in turn is competing with resources that are being hogged by anti virus security software!. My shop has 3 Mac users, and we are constantly swearing at our PC's at least every drill weekend. I brought my MBPro in one weekend just so I could be productive.

I hate running windows. Thank jeebus I only have to do it once a month.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

It is an interesting situation isn't it? Apple was chose over WinTel PCs because of security. Of course, the military has over 30 years of experience locking down UNIX environments, so that may explain their comfort with OS X.

Speaking of security (and deliberately going off topic) the PWN2OWN competition starts in 7 minutes.