US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Whenever there is a new product, the Army's military hackers and electronic warfare techs need to get a hold of it before it's released to the general public so they can profile it and even test back doors in the device.

The US military has the ability to identify devices from space by it's electronic signature, from that they determine the make, model and perhaps the MAC address of a device which is cross referenced with sales or credit card data.

Apple is likely tight on iPads, so the military came to Cupertino. Why send it out when there is military grade security at the home office?

After all Osama might screw up and buy a iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report noted that the Army's research and development command is currently evaluating a number of handheld solutions from Apple, including the forthcoming iPad, as well as the iPhone, iPod, iMac and MacBook platforms.

The iMac and MacBook are considered "handheld" solutions???
  • Reply 23 of 129
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

After all Osama might screw up and buy a iPad.

Obama uses a Blackberry. Did he screw up?
  • Reply 24 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Now if only the Air Force being the most tech heavy would see the light. I am forced to use Windows OS (now Vista) we just upgraded from XP like 4 months ago or so, on top of Adobe software, which in turn is competing with resources that are being hogged by anti virus security software!. My shop has 3 Mac users, and we are constantly swearing at our PC's at least every drill weekend. I brought my MBPro in one weekend just so I could be productive.

I hate running windows. Thank jeebus I only have to do it once a month.

USAF reserves? Go Air Force! Did mine 66'-70'(active).
  • Reply 25 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please, no posting of your political and religious views. We have enough arguing here over the future of tech, we don't need to escalate it anymore.

Yes, please drop the politics and religion.

I abandoned another Mac daily news site because it became a political gutter; there was zero Apple or tech discussion. We don't need that to happen here too.

If you feel a need to soapbox, fine. Please find a better place to do it.

As for Apple and the military, America's armed forces will be demobilized well within a decade. It'll be interesting to see what stateside uses this technology will have.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Yeh, the Army hasn't figured that one out yet.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:

Apple's "it just works" philosophy in particular has caught the Army's eye, as the military agency hopes to create future devices that are simple to use for its soldiers on the battlefield.

Hey AI, April 1st is next week.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Let's hope each and every solider buys the 'U.S. Military Handbook' for iPhone app!
  • Reply 29 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

Let's hope each and every solider buys the 'U.S. Military Handbook' for iPhone app!

Well I guess if the Boy Scout Handbook has an App- why not?
  • Reply 30 of 129
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

The iPad is most definitely not Solider proofed!

I for one would feel safer if all Government computers and PDAs and Phones used OS X versions and add in all infrastructure systems such as power-grid management and power station. The thought of anything that matters running Windows is scary! So this is a good as far as I am concerned.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Is this better?

Quote:

The report noted that the Army's research and development command is currently evaluating a number of handheld solutions from Apple, including the forthcoming iPad, as well as the current iPhone and iPod, in addition to their Mac OS X-based platforms.

• Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

You should really take advantage of this new iBook store that's coming and try many of the fine books in the history and foreign relations sections. I think you'll find it fills in the gaps from those pamphlets they hand out at drum circles and in front of Trader Joe's.

On a side note: if you think that 9/11 was a reaction to American influence in the MIddle East and not a publicity stunt for the disenfranchised 52nd kid of wealthy Saudi contractor, then I think you must agree that it was the stupidest military tactic ever. Way to go helping your enemy, but that tends to happen when you kill 3000 foreign citizens. But I think it's much more likely that the reason your premise doesn't square with logic or history, is that it's incorrect. I know it's boring and takes a lot of time reading really tedious documents/books, but a scientific approach would really help you test out your theories.

You my friend, are going to love iBooks, lots for you to learn in there.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Just to clarify -

The US military is called "Defense" but in reality it is all about offense - attacking and subjugating countries that would not attack us, unless of course we provoked them.

Can you believe we (occupy) have bases in over 100 countries. Vietnam was never a threat yet we invaded them and subjected American citizens to slavery, er I mean a draft, to fulfill objectives of the old men in charge. We conquered and invaded Iraq on deliberately false pretense and show no sign of getting out. Even 9/11 was a response to significant American meddling in Middle Eastern affairs - so we invaded Afghanistan and are now we are stuck there.

It's disappointing to see Apple get involved with the treacherous (but very lucrative) tentacacles of the US military. But hey, stock price will go up on this news, so that's all that matters!

Actually, the military can get the job done quick and easy when they're give a free hand. It's the politicians and their restrictions that keep that from happening. "You can bomb here but not there.", 'You have to follow these rules while your enemy is not so handicapped", "You need to use this equipment that you didn't want and don't need that was built in my district."

Vietnam was never a threat, but the folks that were supplying them and were trying to extend their influence (I think they called them Red Communist Chinese back then) were and still are.

The Middle East has been going to hell in a hand-basket since long before the US was even a country. We're blamed when we use our influence and when we don't (they call it a no-win situation).

Are you sure you don't want to change your username to No Stones?
  • Reply 34 of 129
    Quote:

Is this better?

Reads a lot better. Thanks.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Sign me up for the Kevlar case with balistic glass bezel ;-) As long as it doesn't interfere with the touch interface, of course.

<-- I drop things /toe

Xgear announced a carbon fiber leather fabric exterior covering an ABS plastic shell. So, Kevlar may not be far off.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

You should instead ask, "When didn't he screw up?"

• Reply 37 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

That's a difficult question.

1st: Screwing up assumes there was a standard or demonstrated level of quality in the work before.

2nd: Compared to using an iPhone, using a Blackberry would not help your resumé and would totally torpedo a thin collection of dubious references.

I don't make 'em, but those are the rules, however I don't know enough about Obama to answer your query.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    Quote:

Is this better?

OK.

The original line;

"The Army's research and development command is evaluating commercial hand-held solutions such as iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac, and MacBook platforms."
  • Reply 39 of 129
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member
    [QUOTE=\\ Currently, the agency is supporting the development and transition of two new iPhone applications: a counter-insurgency information collection tool known as COIN Collector, and a combined planning and social networking environment dubbed MilSpace.

Wow, someone actually got paid to come up with that App name? That should cause some confusion in the App store when the numismatists go looking for applications! I guess the Army has a sense of humor after all...
  • Reply 40 of 129
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Baby boomers, the generation that invented flexi-morals. Like parents who partied like wild, were liberals, then became corporate lawyers and now that they have some wealth to defend against the lower classes vote republican and prevent their kids from having the same amount of fun they had when they were young.

Apple, from rainbow-colored hippie, hacker and pirate outfit, where interviews included questions about getting laid and acid trips, to a corporate giant that sells a Disney-fied public image (app store censorship, preventing users from truly owning their device though lack of root access) while supplying the worlds most murderous organized crime syndicate (and that's a fact substantiated by international law to which the US is a signatory, so this isn't a "political" assessment, its a legal one)

Good going, guys! Money over ethics, way to go! Truly, another icon of a generation reveals its true nature. Makes you wonder about that 1984 ad...