US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Maybe this explains Apple hiring Richard DeVaul last week. He's a wearable computing expert and that could be Apple's next frontier. The Army has been looking at wearable computers for a while, including in its Future Force Warrior project.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Protecting us from harm while insuring our freedom is serious business. It's wonderful that the military is choosing Apple, because when your in extremely dangerous situations you want something that's incredibly reliable.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"Did he screw up?"... When has he not?!

When he introduced Universal Healthcare.

It's about damn time.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Maybe this explains Apple hiring Richard DeVaul last week. He's a wearable computing expert and that could be Apple's next frontier. The Army has been looking at wearable computers for a while, including in its Future Force Warrior project.

Good thinking, Kolchak.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Charles Miller will win again on Safari on the Mac.

He stated he found 20 exploits for Safari and Preview.

Shaming Apple doesn't seem to work, it's looking like another Microsoft now.

Somebody should tell the Army.

Shaming for what? For being the safest consumer computing platform on the planet?

Nine years and still going strong.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

..., then I think you must agree that it was the stupidest military tactic ever.

Did you look at the U.S. deficit lately?
  • Reply 67 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I always hear that, and sort of laugh. Like speaking either of those languages would somehow be a bad thing? Since English would never disappear completely, most would probably be bilingual -- a pretty good thing.

My point is that had the US done nothing back then, then either Germany or Japan would have made the US their next target and taken over. I was not implying that the country would speak that language literally, but to an occupation. The US even helped rebuild their countries after the war was over. How many other countries would even bother doing that?

You seem to brush off history and only cherry-pick the pieces that support your rant. Responding to the rest of your post would just be pointless.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Oregon Air Guard. (Photographer) 03-present. Was active Army from 95-98. Then I saw the light..

Do you use film or are you into digital photography? I feel like a dinosaur preferring film over digital. , true digital has some great advantages, but worry that history is being lost because technology is moving so fast some of the digital media will be lost. You will still have the old negative or photograph 100 years from now.

But back to the topic so I'm not accused of getting off topic. I can't see why the USAF is not using more advanced OS's and I would think that they would develop a unix based system.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When he introduced Universal Healthcare.

It's about damn time.

Universal iPads!

Why am I working?
  • Reply 70 of 129
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shaming for what? For being the safest consumer computing platform on the planet?

Nine years and still going strong.

Except its not inherently safer than a PC, Miller proves this every year. I'm not complaining since i use Snow Leopard as my main OS, but you wont see me going willy-nilly downloading torrents like its going out of style or visiting questionable sites.

Macs are just as easily exploited as other PCs, we just see less of them due to market share distribution, this quote sums its up best, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town.? Charlie Miller
  • Reply 71 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You seem to brush off history and only cherry-pick the pieces that support your rant. Responding to the rest of your post would just be pointless.

It might have been better to have ignore it altogether.

But back to the topic, Apple does not have any choice to whom it markets its products to. If the military, however ask Apple to design a guidance system, then that's is different but it's not my call--not a stock holder--d*mit.
  • Reply 72 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Did you look at the U.S. deficit lately?

So? Even if they had managed to rally all Muslims into a war against us, it only helps our economy. It's how we got out of the Great Depression after FDR's New Deal didn't work and caused unemployment to increase & prolong the financial collapse. Basic economics trump the loftiest political re-interpretations. Its a fair bet that the conflicts in the Middle East helped sustain the economy and prolong feeling repercussions from negative effects of the credit/housing debacle.

As a tactic, 9/11 lost Al-Queda all their key-people, land, money and prominence (seen Bin Laden in a while? Good chance he's been dead for 4-5 years buried under rock in cave)... and that with only a moderate engagement, hardly the full might of the US Army or the American people. They didn't even get to benefit from turning this one incident into a sustained tactic. In the big picture, kinda like getting a bee sting, yeah it hurts, but you just go into the backyard and nuke the hive. Even if they manage to sting you 5-10 more times, it's still Game over.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Why am I working?

You work?
  • Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:

So? .... It's how we got out of the Great Depression after FDR's New Deal didn't work and caused unemployment to increase & prolong the financial collapse. Basic economics trump the loftiest political re-interpretations. ................

So we got into WWII to get out of the Depression? We start wars to keep the economy going?

Protracted wars drag down the economy--that's what happened when we were involved in Vier Nam through 3 presidencies.

Now about military applications of the iPhone--has GPS doesn't it? Wouldn't know since i just jave a regular cell phone (still on topic).
  • Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Except its not inherently safer than a PC, Miller proves this every year. I'm not complaining since i use Snow Leopard as my main OS, but you wont see me going willy-nilly downloading torrents like its going out of style or visiting questionable sites.

Macs are just as easily exploited as other PCs, we just see less of them due to market share distribution, this quote sums its up best, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town.? Charlie Miller

Wrong. He's no threat to any Mac or network.

"I don't have the skills to do anything of actual value, but I can do some stupid, low-level things on an already compromised Mac at a hobbyist convention, then hype it to an ignorant, reactionary tech press for free time/coverage, to make my expertise & consulting business seem more important." -Charles Miller
  • Reply 76 of 129
    Quote:

Hey AI, April 1st is next week.

Ummm they said Apples are more secure and just works.

If it was to be an April fools joke they would have said Windows PCs are more secure and just works.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    Quote:

Way to go helping your enemy, but that tends to happen when you kill 3000 foreign citizens.

Really? You really want to play the moral high ground? How many civilians has America slaughtered in unjust wars?

How many civilians were killed by American napalm bombs in Vietnam? How many civilians were slaughtered by America in the Gulf War as well as Afghanistan and Iraq in recent history?

You're whinging and moaning about 3000 Americans when America slaughters that on any given day during their wars?

Quit being so high and mighty and learn the real history not that propaganda that your government spews out and you lot lap up.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Wrong. He's no threat to any Mac or network.

"I don't have the skills to do anything of actual value, but I can do some stupid, low-level things on an already compromised Mac at a hobbyist convention, then hype it to an ignorant, reactionary tech press for free time/coverage, to make my expertise & consulting business seem more important." -Charles Miller

He is no threat to the mac platform. Last i had checked he just does this for publicity (just like all the others) but simply put he and others easily exploit any platform WITHOUT physical access, all a user needs to do is screw up and hit a wrong website and their done.

In the latest news, iPhone/Safari/IE8/Firefox have all been brought down this year thus far.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

PWN2OWN update:

Vincenzo Iozzo and Ralf Philipp Weinmann successfully exploit the iPhone via Safari! Their payload pulled the SMS database.

How much of that was actually done onsite and how much of that was done BEFORE the conference started?
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:

Why am I working?

Seriously, do you work???