No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Exactly. Practice self-control. Try it - you may like it.

i take it, you fail to see the irony in your own statement..
  • Reply 122 of 166
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Minus dozens of millions so far. Does he think the iPhone is only being bought by people who have never used a computer before?

I bought the iphone BECAUSE I have used the common computer and the common cellphone.
  • Reply 123 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: Making the haters jealous. Again.

That alone is worth the asking price. And for the 3G model, too.
  • Reply 124 of 166
    mnbmnb Posts: 15member
    Personally, if a GPS route creation and management app (like RoadTrip or MapSource) becomes available for the iPad, I'm gonna be all over this.

Mounted in the car, that huge screen would rock, but that's not why I want it for GPS usage. I ride motorcycles and like to take long trips. You can only fit so much in those saddle bags and the iPad is really thin, yet has a reasonably decent size screen. It would be a great trip computer.

Not only that, I could import the photos from that day and view them, even do some basic editing. Maybe post them online if I have access. Same with video, although file size would rapidly become an issue.

Instead of lugging around a 15 or 17" MacBook Pro, I could just slip the sleek iPad into my bags and roll. If it was stolen, I'd be bummed, but I'd be out $800, not $3000 (like last time my laptop was stolen).

So Garmin or any app developers out there... We'd love to see an app for that!
  • Reply 125 of 166
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    I got a bit tired of reading all the comments, but......nope, it can't replace a laptop for business for a lot of folks. Did anyone mention Remotely connecting to the office mainframe or computers? Its only been a couple of years, that I was able to use the Mac to do this! Before, I had to use VPC. Now, we can do it via cisco VPN Client alias, and Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection alias. (btw, its very fast too) Only last year, did my previous employer allow us to access it via Safari.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Should companies change their access for the technology, or should technology meet what the companies want and or need?

I would love to carry an iPad instead of a laptop. At present though, a $300 netbook connects remotely to my company, better than an iPad. We will see how things wash out.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I love how neither this survey or the article bother to specify exactly what "work" is. If you're a person who just checks and replies to emails all day, in between attending meetings, sure. That's about the end of the "work" one could do with an iPad, though.
  • Reply 127 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey;

true. But laptops still can't do everything. They are limited in cores and to lover power processors. Their storage options are very limited...

In conclusion, Mac Pros are still better.

LOL, I was being ironic. But in your case, MacPros make better thin clients.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Yes, I'd also like to see all posts quoting someone on my ignore list to be ignored as well. it should be an option.

Agreed--many have been asking the same question.\
  • Reply 129 of 166
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You missed a couple of other basic problems with the iPad. If you try to throw it like a Frisbee, it's not going to go very far since it's the wrong shape and it's still probably going to break when it hits the ground. For skipping across a lake, a rock is still a better choice, and a lot less expensive. It also doesn't come with a loop for hanging it on your belt, a feature a lot of people need and are going to miss.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I've skipped dead iPod Classics across the canal near me and they skip better than rocks believe it or not.

The iPad, tossed like a Frisbee, would hit the water once and curve up into the sky to tumble down or angle in a curve to the right or left, once it loses it inertia and gravity takes over.

Of course if the edge goes into the water it would just goes under right away.

Yes, I skip a lot of things...the city dredges the canal twice a year too.

Surely you both jest--Apple does have a free recycling policy. The components would be hazardous to aquatic life, not to say the effects these will have on the quality of drinking water....
  • Reply 130 of 166
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

No seasoned computer user is going to buy a device he/she can't place what software they want on it and be dictated by Apple's flippant and moody App Store decision making process.

You mean like how a business can obtain an iPhone SDK, create an app and keep it within the company? Yeah I hate how Apple already has this problem covered.

"Applications developed through the enterprise program are exclusively for institutional use, which allows for large corporations and government agencies to develop more proprietary applications not for public release"

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/pr...istribute.html
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: Making the haters jealous. Again.

That alone is worth the asking price. And for the 3G model, too.

You always act as if there is this force field around an Apple Store that keeps certain people out and they can't buy one if they want too. Yet again this article directly contradicts the one yesterday.
  • Reply 132 of 166
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I love how neither this survey or the article bother to specify exactly what "work" is. If you're a person who just checks and replies to emails all day, in between attending meetings, sure. That's about the end of the "work" one could do with an iPad, though.

I was thinking the same thing. Lame ass survey before the product even comes out.
  • Reply 133 of 166
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I plan on using mine first for reading in the evening and secondly for business travel. Just about here. Can't wait!
  • Reply 134 of 166
    Quote:

He always tries to twists everything around to prove it's a game changer. Kind of delusional actually.

I'm just parroting the industry's collective sentiment: game-changer. It's not even released yet and it's already altered the course of mobile computing.

The only catch in recognizing the iPad for what it is, is being able to see beyond the next 24 hours.

By the way, are any of your other AppleInsider alts actually correct or prescient about anything? Because this particular one doesn't seem to be doing it.

Time to register Teckstudd, or Tekkstud, or Tekcstud, or Tecstud, etc.

But why not just post under the name "PredictableTroll" and just be done with it?
  • Reply 135 of 166
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

I'm just parroting the industry's collective sentiment: game-changer. It's not even released yet and it's already altered the course of mobile computing.

The only catch in recognizing the iPad for what it is, is being able to see beyond the next 24 hours.

I'm trading in my 600 CDs in just to get one.
  • Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:

I'm trading in my 600 CDs in just to get one.

Just like you got that iPhone, right?
  • Reply 137 of 166
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Yes, I'd also like to see all posts quoting someone on my ignore list to be ignored as well. it should be an option.

Come on Moderators. This takes you off the hook and lets the individual user choose who we want to read. Also lets people that are bored stiff to pleasure themselves feeding the trolls.

Let's have a vote or something. This needs to happen. Situation is getting worse making these boards totally unenjoyable.
  • Reply 138 of 166
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

But why not just post under the name "PredictableTroll" and just be done with it?

As opposed to "Predictable Cheerleader"?
  • Reply 139 of 166
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

I doubt it would give a lot of heat like laptops do plus it might break if you sit on it.

In conclusion, laptops are still better.

Go ahead. Sit on your laptop. We'll wait.
  • Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:

As opposed to "Predictable Chearleader"?

I'm just backing a winning horse, is all. Apple makes it easy. I don't write all the positive Apple news. Complain to the industry.

And it's "Cheerleader."