Mobile advertisers prep unique iPad ads ahead of Apple's launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Online advertisers are planning new advertising methods created specifically for iPad applications, with a number of major companies already signed on and seeking to promote their goods and services to customers on Apple's forthcoming device.

PointRoll, an analytics and reporting firm, and AdMarvel, an ad delivery service, will partner to create new, highly interactive advertisements on the iPad for major publishers like USA Today, according to digital marketing news site ClickZ. Kate Kaye reported Wednesday that the firms see the iPad as an opportunity "to do a lot more."

Since the iPad can run nearly every iPhone and iPod touch application, advertisers could simply rely on their existing advertising methods to reach users. But much like how developers plan to create unique iPad applications, advertisers see the iPad as an opportunity to generate new revenue with more dynamic content that takes advantage of the device's large 9.7-inch display.

"You could very easily run much the same ad as you do on the iPhone on the iPad, but that would not really be fully leveraging the potential," Max Mead, vice president of business development with PointRoll, reportedly said.

The firm intends to "do more" with iPad ads, creating dynamic endorsements through expandable ads that will make full use of the iPad screen. Already, the company claims that large unnamed clients, including an automaker, retailer and major hotel chain, have signed on for iPad-specific advertisements.

Advertisers do face certain challenges with the iPad, though they are the same as on the iPhone: lack of support for Adobe Flash, and no cross-domain cookies. For these reasons, it is expected that advertisements in iPad software on the App Store are expected to be a more popular option for clients.

AdMarvel CEO Mahi de Silva told ClickZ he expects hundreds of iPad advertising campaigns to come through his firm, and a number of campaigns are already live in the system. AdMarvel is reportedly a partner with over 60 mobile ad networks.

He also noted that in-application ads are the "more compelling" way to reach users. Apple's iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit allows interstitials that must be viewed before content loads, click-to-connect and video. These will be used to create more "dynamic" advertisements on the iPad.

"Unlike the mobile Web where the user must leave a site to go to a landing page," Kaye wrote, "the iPad ad formats will allow users to interact with several dimensions of ad content without leaving the site page."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Yup, I want to interact with advertising...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    b realb real Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup, I want to interact with advertising...

Me too - advertisements are awesome. I always ask for more... just bombard me with adverts please.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    And hopefully someone will release an iPad Ad Blocker concurrently.

Ever since I installed Safari AdBlocker, my online quality of life has risen dramatically, not to mention how much FASTER pages load!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b real View Post

Me too - advertisements are awesome. I always ask for more... just bombard me with adverts please.

Thank goodness iPad hates Flash.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    f ads.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thank goodness iPad hates Flash.

And Flash is the only way to advertise.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Interstitials that can't be skipped? I promise that I will absolutely boycott any company that uses this method.

And Opera, if it's approved, can grow its user base astronomically if it offers server-side ad-blocking. Don't even bother compressing the ads for us. Just block them.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    There is an ad blocker in (mobile) Safari?

Just last night I was going to edit my hosts file to black hole doubleclick. Looks like I might have to wait for a jailbreak in order to be able to have a pleasant user experience.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    I can envision ads cutting off a song you're listening to so it can pump it's audio through to you.

I can see an ad's video taking over the screen, regardless of what you're reading at the time.

There will eventually be so many damn moving things on a magazine page, it'll be too distracting to read.

You're holding the world's most innovative portable advertising delivery mechanism.

Yeah, this puppy's going to be one annoying walking billboard.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Simple solution. Don't download free ad-supported apps. Pay the couple of dollars for the "premium" ad-free version.

And then delete any apps that don't offer an ad-free version.

Or live with the ads if you can't live without the ad-supported software.

Simple as that.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

It's certainly the most annoying way to advertise.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Simple solution. Don't download free ad-supported apps. Pay the couple of dollars for the "premium" ad-free version.

And then delete any apps that don't offer an ad-free version.

Or live with the ads if you can't live without the ad-supported software.

Simple as that.

Ha! Yeah, it's as simple as that, except that that gets sort of complicated.

(but I get your point)
  • Reply 13 of 21
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Thanks advertisers. Use more of my screen space, not less to try to fulfill your goals.

I meanwhile, will try to buy ad-free apps
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    deleted:

Whatever, I guess no one wanted to see my example of Flash running on IPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

yeah. exactly my thought when i read this.....
  • Reply 16 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    If Apple come out with an App to create non-Flash motion enabled multimedia, hyperlinked content with the power and simplicity of iWeb and Pages they will create the next DeskTop revolution. This time they won't be inviting Adobe to participate I hope.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

I can envision ads cutting off a song you're listening to so it can pump it's audio through to you.

I can see an ad's video taking over the screen, regardless of what you're reading at the time.

There will eventually be so many damn moving things on a magazine page, it'll be too distracting to read.

You're holding the world's most innovative portable advertising delivery mechanism.

Yeah, this puppy's going to be one annoying walking billboard.

C'mon. Apple isn't going to be the only company doing this. We're talking billions in ad revenue. It's inevitable on every platform. You're only going to have a choice of which poison you pick. Like any newspaper, magazine or non-cable TV show, they're going to make money through advertising. Did you really grow up on a world that was advertising free? I'm only asking because I grew up in a world before cable TV. On the radio, audio commercials used to segue into songs. On TV, there seemed to be about four commercials every half hour. Most of the magazines and newspapers I read as I was growing up were totally saturated with ads. I was always told that advertising drove the media industry.

So how did you manage to avoid all that? I have TimeWarner Cable now which isn't exactly free and I swear that I see more commercials on channels now than I ever saw before I had TWC. The only way I know how to get around commercials on shows is to download TV torrents that people have already edited out the commercials. Or watch only premium cable content.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I can see this for ABC, NBC, HULU, and maybe some games. Visual ads for a radio app might work. Paid link placement like what google does with adwords is sometimes acceptable. Free access to high quality journalism like the New York Times would make sense too. No offense, but if AppleInsider did this, I would use a different site.

The biggest thing I don't like about the ad model is that you can rarely buy access to the same content without the ads. Those who can afford to buy access are usually the same people the ads want to target most.

I wonder if we'll start seeing ads that are short casual games that you have to win to get to the sponsored content. If they are targeting the iPad, then you would think they would take advantage of it's features. At least if they meant this:

"You could very easily run much the same ad as you do on the iPhone on the iPad, but that would not really be fully leveraging the potential," Max Mead, vice president of business development with PointRoll, reportedly said.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Flash is the only way to do a lot of things.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Flash is the only way to do a lot of things.

It is a great way to move the air around your MacBook with all those CPU cycles. Maybe a nice tropical breeze would complement that Corona ad.