No. 1 planned use for Apple iPad: working on the go

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm just backing a winning horse, is all. Apple makes it easy. I don't write all the positive Apple news. Complain to the industry.

Dude- you do realize that you're like on an Apple FANsite?
  • Reply 142 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Dude- you do realize that you're like on an Apple FANsite?

Yes. And?

Apple fansites don't conduct the surveys, write the reports, and do the analyses that comprise Apple news. They merely report it. And any way you slice it, there is a distinct preponderance of positive Apple news industry-wide. It just keeps coming. It's a phenomenon reflected on all tech sites - even the most obvious havens for Windows-sufferers, like Neowin. In fact, Neowin members have been complaining about all the positive Apple news lately. It's getting intolerable!

Trying to counter it or pretend it doesn't exist by trolling against it only makes you look like a) you're completely out of touch or b) you're trolling deliberately.
  • Reply 143 of 166
    Quote:

... it only makes you look like a) you're completely out of touch or b) you're trolling deliberately.

What a conundrum.
  • Reply 144 of 166
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Trying to counter it or pretend it doesn't exist by trolling against it only makes you look like a) you're completely out of touch or b) you're trolling deliberately.

NOt trolling against anything - just unbiased and refuse to have my thoughts squeezed into an Apple box. I read many other sites, read many other threads and don't repeatedly cheerlead every single thread that comes off the pipeline here. Now that would be a.) beyond out of touch or b.) cheerleading deliberately like a paid Cupertino employee.
  • Reply 145 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

NOt trolling against anything - just unbiased and refuse to have my thoughts squeezed into an Apple box. I read many other sites, read many other threads and don't repeatedly cheerlead every single thread that comes off the pipeline here. Now that would be a.) beyond out of touch or b.) cheerleading deliberately like a paid Cupertino employee.

Clearly, this isn't the case. All you've succeeded in doing with your "unbiased" views (clearly a fantasy you believe is real) is getting yourself banned from AI several times over. "Unbiased" and otherwise constructive conversation doesn't require the use of alts. Trolls, however, need lots of them. How many has it been for you? Three? Four? I guess it'll be as many as the ways you can spell that tired "Techstud" moniker.
  • Reply 146 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer;

Go ahead. Sit on your laptop. We'll wait.

Yes, laptops make excellent seat warmers better than sitting on the iPad.
  • Reply 147 of 166
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Clearly, this isn't the case. All you've succeeded in doing with your "unbiased" views (clearly a fantasy you believe is real) is getting yourself banned from AI several times over. "Unbiased" and otherwise constructive conversation doesn't require the use of alts. Trolls, however, need lots of them. How many has it been for you? Three? Four? I guess it'll be as many as the ways you can spell that tired "Techstud" moniker.

For the love of Jobs, stop quoting him!
  • Reply 148 of 166
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    For me: (order of importance)

1. Work. My laptop gets parked, when I run around a building I want to carry an iPad instead of a MacBook Pro.

2. eBooks. Especially technical eBooks that I hope will be easy to search for text.

3. Games. Touchscreen games are fun.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

For me: (order of importance)

1. Work. My laptop gets parked, when I run around a building I want to carry an iPad instead of a MacBook Pro.

2. eBooks. Especially technical eBooks that I hope will be easy to search for text.

3. Games. Touchscreen games are fun.

Nearly identical to my own list. I'm dying to use iWork on it.
  • Reply 150 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

For the love of Jobs, stop quoting him!

I agree. Quadra, please ignore him.

Quote:

Reason: Speeling

• Reply 151 of 166
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I love how neither this survey or the article bother to specify exactly what "work" is. If you're a person who just checks and replies to emails all day, in between attending meetings, sure. That's about the end of the "work" one could do with an iPad, though.

However, it describes a lot of people's work needs.
  • Reply 152 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archie Goodwin View Post

Seriously, dude. You've insisted that the iPad MUST be capable of running native presentations from its video out for YEARS. It's here (in two weeks). It will do that. You got it. Can you PLEASE stop telling US what it MUST be? It's not like Steve Jobs reads these comments** and is changing product strategy to meet your INCREDIBLY repetitive wishes. If you really want to affect what Apple produces, tell them. As for the remote, what the hell does it need USB for? Doesn't it kinda defeat the point of a wireless remote if you have to plug in a dongle? Isn't that what Bluetooth is FOR?

I tend to agree that a standard USB port would be advisable. It simply makes the platform far more flexible.

As to Steve reading the forums I'd be willing to bet that he does and if not he has somebody constantly checking the various forums. I know that sugggestions made with respect to the Mini, in these forums, made it into revisions in the past.

Quote:

I'm curious, though - when the iPad is here, in your hands, you've got native Keynote (and maybe PP, if MS goes for it) presentations out of the video port and a remote using Bluetooth - will you have nothing left to say here? Or will you find some other flaw with it, real or perceived, to justify not buying one, and then complain about it here?

I think your point is people are jumping the gun here and to be honest I have to agree. It is simply to early to declare a position on many of these issues.

Quote:

**I think it would be funny as HELL to find out he was the puppetmaster behind Teckstud and his various aliases. Hard to imagine Jobs being either that bored or that dumb, though.

I doubt that. Most likely he doesn't even have an account. In any event reading the forums isn't dumb for a CEO if he gets a reasonable impression on a specific issue. Good CEOs stay in contact with their customers.

Dave
  • Reply 153 of 166
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree. Quadra, please ignore him.

Unfortunately, unless AI can give us the option of ignoring quoted trolling, I am placing quoters on my ignore list. Sorry Quadra....
  • Reply 154 of 166
    Quote:

Yes. And?

Apple fansites don't conduct the surveys, write the reports, and do the analyses that comprise Apple news. They merely report it. And any way you slice it, there is a distinct preponderance of positive Apple news industry-wide. It just keeps coming. It's a phenomenon reflected on all tech sites - even the most obvious havens for Windows-sufferers, like Neowin. In fact, Neowin members have been complaining about all the positive Apple news lately. It's getting intolerable!

Taking it all on face value is your problem, and then you go ahead and repeat the results ad nauseum as if they were something GOOD.

Quote:

The new study released this week from Sybase and conducted by Zogby International surveyed 2,443 adults with a mobile phone, 770 of which own smartphones. Among the smartphone-owning respondents, more than half -- 52.3 percent -- said they are most likely to use a tablet device like the iPad to do work.

I'm yet to work out how 52.3% of 770 saying they are 'likely to use' a tablet like the iPad to do work is GOOD or IMPRESSIVE. In fact, it sounds pretty pathetic to me. If it had been 52.3% of the 2443 people surveyed, that would have sounded impressive, but as it stands, it isn't at all. Yet Quadra 610 somehow manages to interpret that as being the best thing since sliced bread, even though the vast majority of people probably wouldn't consider that anything significant in the slightest!
  • Reply 155 of 166
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:

So much for the "but it's not a 'serious' machine" bleating.

I wonder how the Courier fans will respond to this. Since they seem to be criticizing it the most for it not being a "serious" machine.
  • Reply 156 of 166
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

I wonder how the Courier fans will respond to this. Since they seem to be criticizing it the most for it not being a "serious" machine.

Of course it has one advantage over Courier: it exists.
  • Reply 157 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

What Courier?
  • Reply 158 of 166
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

But why not just post under the name "PredictableTroll" and just be done with it?

It's really hard to understand what goes on in the minds of the moderators here. People apparently get at least temporarily banned for... who knows what... name calling? Then there are people who obviously have no purpose to being here other than trolling, yet they are allowed to continue to do nothing but disrupt threads and bait people into pointless arguments.

Take the above referenced "PredictableTroll", for example. He's been banned multiple times before under variations of his current name. Under this name, he makes no pretense that he isn't the same person who's been banned multiple times. The moderators know (at some level you know, and you know you know) that they will eventually ban him again. So why don't you just get it over with?

I mean, some of the other trolls (sorry, but anyone who comes to an Apple focused site for no reason other than to criticize Apple is, ipso facto, a troll) occasionally actually make a reasonable point, some of them make at least a pretense of not being a troll. But, seriously, is "name calling" really worse than obviously pure trolling, day in and day out?
  • Reply 159 of 166
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

A native Microsoft Office (and specially PowerPoint) for the iPad is a must. As is a USB port for the remote control and to share files. Hopefully in the near future. Meanwhile waiting...

• Reply 160 of 166
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's really hard to understand what goes on in the minds of the moderators here. People apparently get at least temporarily banned for... who knows what... name calling? Then there are people who obviously have no purpose to being here other than trolling, yet they are allowed to continue to do nothing but disrupt threads and bait people into pointless arguments.

Take the above referenced "PredictableTroll", for example. He's been banned multiple times before under variations of his current name. Under this name, he makes no pretense that he isn't the same person who's been banned multiple times. The moderators know (at some level you know, and you know you know) that they will eventually ban him again. So why don't you just get it over with?

I mean, some of the other trolls (sorry, but anyone who comes to an Apple focused site for no reason other than to criticize Apple is, ipso facto, a troll) occasionally actually make a reasonable point, some of them make at least a pretense of not being a troll. But, seriously, is "name calling" really worse than obviously pure trolling, day in and day out?

This is why this site has degenerated into near pointless. Unfortunately.