US Army leaders visit Apple campus to discuss future mobile devices

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful,

Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

If the US Military can utilize Apple products in the field in order to save lives then I am all for it.

"Save Lives" actually stands for "Trade Lives", like in:

10 more american soldiers survive, 100 more iraqi civilians die. \
  • Reply 102 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

please, no posting of your political and religious views. We have enough arguing here over the future of tech, we don't need to escalate it anymore.

+++ qft
  • Reply 103 of 129
    OK, seriously: so my 2 cents regarding the war/politics discussion is:

It's hard to believe that the fact that the US, "video game" is almost synonym with "First Person Shooter" is a coincidence. Somebody must be lobbying for all those kids to grow eager to join the army. Then they are sent to Iraq, Afghanistan or whatever country the US is kicking ass (or getting their ass kicked) at that moment, and they see real death inches distance or first hand. Then it's too late!

Back on topic: I don't give a damn. Sorry for the useless post.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

You should really take advantage of this new iBook store that's coming and try many of the fine books in the history and foreign relations sections. I think you'll find it fills in the gaps from those pamphlets they hand out at drum circles and in front of Trader Joe's.

On a side note: if you think that 9/11 was a reaction to American influence in the MIddle East and not a publicity stunt for the disenfranchised 52nd kid of wealthy Saudi contractor, then I think you must agree that it was the stupidest military tactic ever. Way to go helping your enemy, but that tends to happen when you kill 3000 foreign citizens. But I think it's much more likely that the reason your premise doesn't square with logic or history, is that it's incorrect. I know it's boring and takes a lot of time reading really tedious documents/books, but a scientific approach would really help you test out your theories.

You my friend, are going to love iBooks, lots for you to learn in there.

I'm glad someone said it. I always find it amusing how so many people don't realize just how unsuccessful the 9/11 attacks were. I also find it disgusting how it's always those who have never served that love to sit back and criticize the very people and organizations that protect their freedoms.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

OK, seriously: so my 2 cents regarding the war/politics discussion is:

It's hard to believe that the fact that the US, "video game" is almost synonym with "First Person Shooter" is a coincidence. Somebody must be lobbying for all those kids to grow eager to join the army. Then they are sent to Iraq, Afghanistan or whatever country the US is kicking ass (or getting their ass kicked) at that moment, and they see real death inches distance or first hand. Then it's too late!

Back on topic: I don't give a damn. Sorry for the useless post.

First, please tell all of us your experience with the military and what has led you to believe we are getting our asses kicked. Also feel free to share it with some military personnel - they may even give you a guided tour of the real world! Second, please educate us all on what your experience is with "real death inches distance or first hand." Third, get online and play some first person shooters. You'll notice there are people from all over the world playing it - which would mean that, according to your conspiracy theory, we are inadvertently training the rest of the world to fight us. And fourth, rather than apologize for your post, next time just hit the back arrow.

Sincerely,

Annoyed Paratrooper
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

First, please tell all of us your experience with the military and what has led you to believe we are getting our asses kicked. Also feel free to share it with some military personnel - they may even give you a guided tour of the real world! Second, please educate us all on what your experience is with "real death inches distance or first hand." Third, get online and play some first person shooters. You'll notice there are people from all over the world playing it - which would mean that, according to your conspiracy theory, we are inadvertently training the rest of the world to fight us. And fourth, rather than apologize for your post, next time just hit the back arrow.

Sincerely,

Annoyed Paratrooper

Ah, don't mind him. Just a tad case of guanocephalitis.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    Quote:

First, please tell all of us your experience with the military and what has led you to believe we are getting our asses kicked.

Sorry, Everybody loves a winner, right? U-S-A! U-S-A!

Let's say Iraq. Being there that long, by itself is having your ass kicked IMHO. I won't say Vietnam because that was long ago.

Quote:

Also feel free to share it with some military personnel - they may even give you a guided tour of the real world!

No thanks. I know the type. First Hand.

Quote:

Second, please educate us all on what your experience is with "real death inches distance or first hand."

If you insist. I meant "Getting Killed or Injured for Real". No, I have no personal experience but we can all agree that it happens for real. Unless ALL the media are lying and there was zero casualties in every recent war.

I grew up watching GI Joe/Transformers, etc. american cartoons with a lot of violence yet no one gets ever killed/injured. It's almost as if war is only fun. Japanese cartoons are very different; people die and suffer. At first I was shocked, but then I came to realise it is a better lesson for kids.

Quote:

Third, get online and play some first person shooters. You'll notice there are people from all over the world playing it - which would mean that, according to your conspiracy theory, we are inadvertently training the rest of the world to fight us.

No, it's no CT, just my opinion. And I'm not talking about "training" (like your gonna become a better soldier by playing FPSs), but rather teaching that gun killing is fun.

Quote:

And fourth, rather than apologize for your post, next time just hit the back arrow.

Sincerely,

Annoyed Paratrooper

You got me there. Beware of the trees.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Ah, don't mind him. Just a tad case of guanocephalitis.

If perceiving a widespread justification of violence and expressing my 2cents is being a shithead, be it. Don't waste your time on me and go play your C.O.D., soldier.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

I'm not anti-America I'm anti-arrogance and America comes across as being the most arrogant nation on the planet.

America was not officially involved in any part of the war until after Pearl Harbour. By that time the war had been going on for quite some time.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_W...did_WWII_start - WWII started 1937 or 1939

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_t...er_World_War_2 - America enters the war officially in 1941 some 5-7 years later.

There were American soldiers and pilots but NONE of them were there with any official backing. I do know about WWII with both my grandparents (my dad's dad was a Pom serving in the Pacific and my mum's dad is New Zealander serving in Canada). My dad's dad became a POW but my mum's dad never really served in the fighting because he became a pilot but by the time he finished his training he was deemed too old to fight so they got him training other pilots.

By the time America had actually gotten involved England's armaments were becoming scarce but they were still digging in.

America may have cleaned up but they by no rights can claim they are the ones who won the war. If it had not been for the H-Bombs or Hitler making stupid mistakes then America could have conceivably been in a similar position to everyone else by being involved in a long drawn out war.

Forget it

You're a waste of my time
  • Reply 110 of 129
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Yes, please drop the politics and religion.

I abandoned another Mac daily news site because it became a political gutter; there was zero Apple or tech discussion. We don't need that to happen here too.

If you feel a need to soapbox, fine. Please find a better place to do it.

As for Apple and the military, America's armed forces will be demobilized well within a decade. It'll be interesting to see what stateside uses this technology will have.

1. you couldn't be more wrong.

2. to the rest of you anti-military pieces of shit: take your comments elsewhere. Every last member of the US military has signed an agreement to give their life, if necessary, for YOU, YOUR country, and YOUR Constitution, you ungrateful fucks.

If you don't like how they're used, then get off your dead hippie ass and take it up with your local ballot box, you goddamned spoiled little communist fucks.

that's MY opinion.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Sorry, Everybody loves a winner, right? U-S-A! U-S-A!

Let's say Iraq. Being there that long, by itself is having your ass kicked IMHO. I won't say Vietnam because that was long ago.

The smartest thing you said was "I grew up watching GI Joe..."

Clearly, your mind never evolved any further than that. Get down on your fucking knees and thank those people for doing what you aren't man enough to do.

And then see my previous post, because its addressing you as well.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Clearly, your mind never evolved any further than that.

Actually I watched many other shows as well. Someone wasn't that lucky... Guess there weren't those many TV stations in the Texas countryside, were they?

I got to think it is a shitty cartoon, the same as transformers. I watched it again lately out of nostalgia, but to the eyes of an adult it's just a crappy cartoon. Unless, of course, you are a subscribber to "Guns & Ammo".

Quote:

Get down on your fucking knees and thank those people for doing what you aren't man enough to do.

And what would that be, exactly? Becoming cannon fodder for conflicts that have nothing to do with anything except big money? You really think those are heroes of your country? Well, listen to me, redneck: That ain't my country, and being "Man Enough" means things other than getting a gun and killing people under orders.

PS: too much 24 will kill you.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Big Customer! If each platoon had an iPhone (to control their drone or something) that's a lot of iPhones.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:

Clearly, your mind never evolved any further than that. Get down on your fucking knees and thank those people for doing what you aren't man enough to do.

Whoa echosonic! Lighten up! I don't that there is a poster here that is laying any blame at the feet of the "grunts", officers, or even higher command soldiers protecting our freedoms. In fact, most people are simply in awe of the dedication and bravery of the men and women that serve.

However... if I may speak in generalizations... I do think that a lot of people are skeptical of the ambitions of the politicians, lobbyists, and Military Complex behind the scenes, that are involved. At least that is where "I" lay the blame for the prolonged campaigns and conflicts.

The heartbreak and pain of the families, and the men and women that will carry the horrors of war every day to their grave, are rightful heroes... all of 'em. Always have been, and should always be.

However history teaches us that the "powers that be" don't give a flyin" F***, whether it's the desire for power, or the chase after the easy and almighty "buck", that military involvement entails.

As an AAPL shareholder, I applaud their involvement if their heart is in saving lives through better equipment and education to do "the job". If Apple's only reason is to better their bottom-line, I have a serious conflict with me conscience supporting this involvement.

But who "really" knows Apple's intentions? We only can hope & pray for the former... rather than the lamented and very sad reasoning of "it's just business".
  • Reply 115 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Forget it

You're a waste of my time

Why do you think so many people notably Arabs hate America? Is it really because they're jealous of you and your way of life?

NO.

In the first Afghan war between them and Russia America gave Afghanistan weapons and then left them to it. They didn't send troops or anything like that. They just said "Here you go it's all yours". Sure they trained them how to use the weapons but there was no active involvement during that war.

Yes it would have been dangerous to do so because the Cold War was still on then and I understand that but you left them with a country that was destroyed and scorched. You never helped out afterwards with rebuilding the communities with schools and hospitals and all that. If you really wanted to you could have made powerful allies with Afghanistan (they fought off the Russian might on their own) and all America had to do was play the nice guy and help rebuild the country but instead America played the jerk and look where it led to.

Now a little over 20 years later and America decides to attack Afghanistan because of some information that Osama was living there. They ousted the Taliban but made a complete mess in their wake before heading off to Iraq so they could screw that country up some more meanwhile the Taliban retake power in Afghanistan and during it all Afghanistan is no better off in fact is much worse for the whole experience.

Then you get crises like Darfur and they ask for America's help and America says "No" because they're off fighting in Iraq in an unjustified war based on made up "intelligence". People in their thousands die because America did nothing to help.

And yet you have a go at me for calling America arrogant or at the very least being perceived to be arrogant?

People dislike America simply because it never cleans up after itself. It gate crashes only the parties that interests it, pukes in their flower pots, craps on their lawn, then heads off to the next party that it's not invited to, meanwhile the parties it is invited to it blows off because it doesn't see any value in them. It's selfish and rude and people like that in general are disliked. Sure they might be tolerated for a while by those who think they can get something out of it but ultimately their smiles are facades.

Instead of spending trillions on warfare why doesn't America spend it on healthcare and education? How about helping other countries properly not with military might but with acts of kindness and generosity? How about when military might is needed like in Africa instead of saying "No" because you can't get anything out of the continent you say "Yes" because it's the right thing to do to stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves and after the battles stick around and feed the people and rebuild their communities and ensure they have education and proper healthcare?

When people see that at heart America is actually a nice nation instead of the greedy blood thirsty country that they see now as then and only then can peace truly come. It has to be America because they are deemed to be the most powerful nation on earth. Reality is it won't be America but instead the United Nations. It may be too late for America to get on people's good sides again. It's a shame... American history is filled with missed opportunities to actually be the good guy and not claim to be it. Actions speak louder than words and currently the actions aren't pleasant.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    This is very welcome news.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    To answer your questions, with some questions:

Quote:

How many civilians were killed by American napalm bombs in Vietnam?

How many innocent villagers were killed by the viet cong and North Viet Nam regulars?

Quote:

How many civilians were slaughtered by America in the Gulf War as well as Afghanistan and Iraq in recent history?

How many civilians are being targeted and killed by the so called freedom fighters in Iraq, Afghanistan, Malaysia and in the Middle East? Looks like they are killing the very people they claim to be fight for.

How can you justify using civilians as human shields? How can you justify using the religious tensions between the Shiite and Suni religions to further instability that will end up in a religious war to further your own hatred? I guess that it's alright to blow up a mosque, to kill mourners at a funeral, to target markets and schools and then blame the US for causing all of the instability.

Quote:

You're whinging and moaning about 3000 Americans when America slaughters that on any given day during their wars?

And why not mourn these innocent people who were the target of the same people responsible for the above. We should mourn all of the innocent people killed by these terrorists "freedom" fighters. And if they win their war, do you think that they will allow the "freed" people the right to oppose them--or are recent events in Iran so easily dismissed?

Quote:

Quit being so high and mighty and learn the real history not that propaganda that your government spews out and you lot lap up.

Shouldn't you learn a little more from history before you ask others to do so with your misinformed opinions? See my other posts responding to yours.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:

When people see that at heart America is actually a nice nation instead of the greedy blood thirsty country that they see now as then and only then can peace truly come. It has to be America because they are deemed to be the most powerful nation on earth. Reality is it won't be America but instead the United Nations. It may be too late for America to get on people's good sides again. It's a shame... American history is filled with missed opportunities to actually be the good guy and not claim to be it. Actions speak louder than words and currently the actions aren't pleasant.

Rather than take up more space to argue off topic, and given my previous responses to your other post, what we do agree on is highlighted above. Now if Europe took action in Kosovo, Africa took action in Darfur, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Arab Nations and Israel make peace and the Arab Nations recognize Israel, the world would be a better place. 'Nuff said??
  • Reply 119 of 129
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Regarding a militarized iPad, which finger gesture will launch the cruise missile ? A two finger swipe or three finger pinch?

Having spent a few days at Raytheon's Methuen, MA facility, I would have to believe that the middle finger, flexed straight in the air, with the rest in closed fist arrangement, would be the correct gesture.
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Having spent a few days at Raytheon's Methuen, MA facility, I would have to believe that the middle finger, flexed straight in the air, with the rest in closed fist arrangement, would be the correct gesture.

Like your signature line but shouldn't it be dysleXic as in being inflicted with dyslexia?