Amazing how the iPhone can't do some of the simplest things

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
like simple document viewing without an internet connection.

I need a Documents folder that I can view when I don't have an internet connection. Can't be done without resorting to awkward workarounds. In searching, the best solution I can find is to save as a PDF to iPhoto and then set up sync. Not the most intuitive solution and it also breaks up the doc into individual images with grainy text.

Another solution is AirSharing. You shouldn't need third party applications to do simple things though. Also not very intuitive. Most of the these type apps are paid too. They also require a Wifi connection. As I type this, I'm staying at a condo where I'm picking up a wifi signal from one of the neighbors on my MBP but my iPhone doesn't see the signal so I can't even use Air Sharing right now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

I need a Documents folder that I can view when I don't have an internet connection. Can't be done without resorting to awkward workarounds. In searching, the best solution I can find is to save as a PDF to iPhoto and then set up sync. Not the most intuitive solution and it also breaks up the doc into individual images with grainy text.

Another solution is AirSharing. You shouldn't need third party applications to do simple things though. Also not very intuitive. Most of the these type apps are paid too. They also require a Wifi connection. As I type this, I'm staying at a condo where I'm picking up a wifi signal from one of the neighbors on my MBP but my iPhone doesn't see the signal so I can't even use Air Sharing right now.

Get your own WiFi connection. Simple.

• Reply 2 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

You can't save documents into folders like PDFs or text docs and open them on the iPhone!? I assumed since there was no Acrobat Reader it could natively open PDFs with Preview or something. Whoa. That's weird. I was just about to get an iphone a few months ago but held back on VZW rumors. Now I'm just going to get the new one when it comes out, if I have to switch to ATT oh well. Hopefully they improve stupid things like this on the next one and with OS 4.0.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    On Android, you can pop a PDF onto your phone and open with your choice of half a dozen PDF viewers. There's no way to do this on the iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I'm staying in a vacation rental for one week. Not simple!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

You can't save documents into folders like PDFs or text docs and open them on the iPhone!? I assumed since there was no Acrobat Reader it could natively open PDFs with Preview or something. Whoa. That's weird. I was just about to get an iphone a few months ago but held back on VZW rumors. Now I'm just going to get the new one when it comes out, if I have to switch to ATT oh well. Hopefully they improve stupid things like this on the next one and with OS 4.0.

There isn't any system wide file system access in iPhone OS X 3.1 and prior. So one can't save typical documents. If someone sends you a PDF or a PPT (basically Apple iWork, MS Office and PDF formats), you can view it. You just can't save it. There are many 3rd party apps that can store these files and allow you to view them offline. The OP just wants system wide file system access, and doesn't like the fact they cost money (0.99 cents for many).

As has been discussed before, file systems aren't really the simplest things in the world, and Apple is likely to continue to limit file system access. iPhone OS X 3.2 has a system wide file share access, but one won't be able to view everything in it unless an app can view all documents in the file share.

iPhone OS X is deeply application-centric, and the user experience is generally about opening an application and viewing its data; as opposed to file-centric or document-centric in today's operating systems where one views the data and chooses the app to view them with.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

I'm staying in a vacation rental for one week. Not simple!

I probably should have put a "just kidding" tag after my post. A Steve Jobs, response, if you will.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    I have the iPhone.

And this IS a glaring error and omission. They really need to address this

This is one and probably the only area that its competitors stomp on it.

Any computer needs a local file access and editing. And, yes, the iPhone (and all smart-phones) re computers.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I probably should have put a "just kidding" tag after my post. A Steve Jobs, response, if you will.

Nice! That was Jobsian response
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

There isn't any system wide file system access in iPhone OS X 3.1 and prior. So one can't save typical documents. If someone sends you a PDF or a PPT (basically Apple iWork, MS Office and PDF formats), you can view it. You just can't save it. There are many 3rd party apps that can store these files and allow you to view them offline. The OP just wants system wide file system access, and doesn't like the fact they cost money (0.99 cents for many).

As has been discussed before, file systems aren't really the simplest things in the world, and Apple is likely to continue to limit file system access. iPhone OS X 3.2 has a system wide file share access, but one won't be able to view everything in it unless an app can view all documents in the file share.

iPhone OS X is deeply application-centric, and the user experience is generally about opening an application and viewing its data; as opposed to file-centric or document-centric in today's operating systems where one views the data and chooses the app to view them with.

It's not so much that I don't like the cost as I've already purchased Air Sharing. But something like that should be part of the OS. It would be like if you the iPhone could receive SMS messages but you had to buy an app to send them. Plus the workaround apps are awkward workarounds, and not intuitive especially for a novice user. And having Wi Fi access at all times in not guaranteed, as in my case. If I could save on my Mac and drag it over through iTunes into a iPhone Documents folder to be synced via USB, that would be the perfect Mac like experience.

I didn't say file systems are the simplest things in the world, but if iPhone OS is based on OS X, the functionality should largely be there. It looks like 3.2 is a step in the right direction but not quite there yet. I'm not saying I need access to system files but for the types of files in the Home directory (Music, Pictures, Docs, etc) , full access should be given as needed. I think for the iPad to be usable as a netbook substitute it will have to go in that direction.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

No file access. That is stupid. I hope someone did or will make a Finder (PathFinder?) for it. It should be more like a computer. More customizable. Multitask. This new Apple that tells you what you can and can not download and run, or do with their products, SUCKS. The old version of Windows Mobile was better in this respect. That is very, very sad.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

what about a $99 investment into one of these?

http://www.airstash.com/
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Paying $100 just because you're not allowed to access files you put on your own phone? Ouch.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Other than the $100 price tag, the burden of carrying around an extra device, the necessity of a wifi access point, and that it's a clumsy workaround for what should be functionality built into the iPhone, it looks great!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Does this device create an AD-HOC network of its own or do you need a central Wi-Fi access point. Hmmmmmmm