CBS tests HTML 5 video for compatibility with Apple iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
CBS.com is currently testing HTML5 video playback for streaming episodes of its TV shows, signaling that the major U.S. broadcast network aims to be iPad compatible before Apple's new multimedia device launches.

As discovered by MacRumors, accessing "iPad - test" video links accidentally posted by CBS through the iPad simulator, or when spoofing a browser's "user agent" setting, loads a new page that appears to be set up for HTML5 streaming video. The same links take users to the Adobe Flash page when accessed with a traditional browser.

"This new version of the video does not yet work but appears to be based on HTML5," the report said. "The css files reference HTML5 and have a number of 'webkit' specific calls. Webkit is the browser engine used in the iPad's mobile safari. While the videos don't currently play, the 'fullscreen mode' reportedly already works in the iPad simulator."

That CBS would be eager to find compatibility with the iPad should come as no surprise -- the network was on board with Apple's proposal for a TV subscription deal while other networks were wary. The network has also suggested it will lower prices of some TV shows on iTunes to 99 cents, down from the current standard of $1.99.

In February, it was rumored that Hulu, an online streaming video destination for multiple networks, plans to make its videos available without Flash for the iPad platform. Reports then alleged that the Web site could be prepared by the time the iPad launches April 3, though it was said the service would likely be subscription only.

CBS iPad test page, screenshot credit MacRumors.

In January, Google added support for HTML5 in YouTube, the Web's most popular streaming video destination. Allegedly labeled a "CPU hog" by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Adobe Flash has been a target of Apple, which has not allowed the Web standard on its iPhone OS, including the forthcoming iPad.

For more on Apple and Flash, and why the Web format will likely never be available on the iPhone OS, read AppleInsider's three-part Flash Wars series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    iPad or not, this is a good thing.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    "Adobe Flash has been a target of Apple, which has not allowed the Web standard "

Flash is a popular <b>plugin</b>, but is in no way a web standard. Ubiquitous is one thing, but it's not a standard. See: http://www.w3.org/

Sheldon
  • Reply 3 of 76
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why would HTML5 hulu be a paid subscription? I think it is possible to put ads into HTML5 vids, no? Or is the whole site transitioning to subscription now, as has been rumored for a while now?
  • Reply 4 of 76
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Test? I thought it just worked.

And BTW Flash is the web standard for motion:

http://www.webstandards.org/2006/08/...ium-and-water/
  • Reply 5 of 76
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    You guys know what will happen here right? Eventually, most movies, TV shows, and major newspapers and magazines will disappear from the web and will just be available through closed systems like the iPad. Yes, that's too bad but pirating and the difficulty of monetizing print-based media on the web are driving it.

I'm resigned to it. To ease my pain, I just by Apple stock so at least I get some pecuniary consolation.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Flash is dying; get used to it Techwimp.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Why would HTML5 hulu be a paid subscription? I think it is possible to put ads into HTML5 vids, no? Or is the whole site transitioning to subscription now, as has been rumored for a while now?

By the end of Calendar 2010, and likely beginning with the iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The writing's on the wall. Thanks (at least in part) to the iPad.

Apple's clout is nothing short of amazing, though.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I did not read the article, but why must this be tied to the iPad? WebKit is used by Safari (available on Mac and Windows), Google's Chrome, Android, the iPhone. HTML5 is well supported by Firefox.

Couldn't this just be CBS moving to HTML5 to support every browser except IE?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Test? I thought it just worked.

And BTW Flash is the web standard for motion:

http://www.webstandards.org/2006/08/...ium-and-water/

Being the standard does not necessarily mean the best. See MS Windows.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Flash is dying; get used to it Techwimp.

This move had nothing to do with any clout that Apple has or that Flash is dying. CBS and others are attempting to sell media anyway they can and if Apple will not allow Flash they will simply code to their content to run via HTML5.

This is an Apple driven issue not an Adobe issue. The problem is an OSX issue not a Flash 10.1, the problem is people here that spout off about it simply regurgitate anything Steve Jobs says rather then attempting to understand how technology currently works.

Let use an example even someone like Quadra can understand yet still won't accept.

We can all agree that Safari is owned , supported and coded by Apple. When streaming video via Safari on OSX using Flash 10.1 CPU utilization has been tested at 32.07

Take the same version of Safari for Windows run the stream the same content using Flash 10.1 and the CPU utilization is 7.43%!!!!!!!!

WOW how could that be seeing Flash is a CPU hog?

The issue is Apple is too stupid to give Adobe the information they need to allow Flash to use hardware acceleration via OSX. By allowing access to the correct API's this allows the stress to be taken off the CPU and allows the GPU to render a good bit of the processing needed to stress Flash web content.

The problem is Steve Jobs has an agenda and his isn't allowing Flash to become more efficient on OSX.

So instead of being like many of the other sheep here try and educate yourself on how this really works and come to grips with the fact that Steve Jobs is the issue not Adobe or Flash.

Which by the way has little to no impact on the rest of the world that runs Windows so Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Being the standard does not necessarily mean the best. See MS Windows.

You can read my post. Like I said Apple and OSX are the issue not Flash and anyone that understands coding or for that matter anyone that runs Windows via bootcamp on their Mac can simply perform the same test I listed above.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This move had nothing to do with any clout that Apple has or that Flash is dying. CBS and others are attempting to sell media anyway they can and if Apple will not allow Flash they will simply code to their content to run via HTML5.

This is an Apple driven issue not an Adobe issue. The problem is an OSX issue not a Flash 10.1, the problem is people here that spout off about it simply regurgitate anything Steve Jobs says rather then attempting to understand how technology currently works.

Let use an example even someone like Quadra can understand yet still won't accept.

We can all agree that Safari is owned , supported and coded by Apple. When streaming video via Safari on OSX using Flash 10.1 CPU utilization has been tested at 32.07

Take the same version of Safari for Windows run the stream the same content using Flash 10.1 and the CPU utilization is 7.43%!!!!!!!!

WOW how could that be seeing Flash is a CPU hog?

The issue is Apple is too stupid to give Adobe the information they need to allow Flash to use hardware acceleration via OSX. By allowing access to the correct API's this allows the stress to be taken off the CPU and allows the GPU to render a good bit of the processing needed to stress Flash web content.

The problem is Steve Jobs has an agenda and his isn't allowing Flash to become more efficient on OSX.

So instead of being like many of the other sheep here try and educate yourself on how this really works and come to grips with the fact that Steve Jobs is the issue not Adobe or Flash.

Which by the way has little to no impact on the rest of the world that runs Windows so Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

yes but what you don't know is that flash in windows has gpu acceleration enabled, OSX and linux doesn't
  • Reply 14 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The fans on PC laptops also go crazy using Flash. Flash has it's time and served it's purpose well, but the world is moving on.

Imagine a drawing app in your browser that doesn't make your fans sounds like an F1 car?
  • Reply 15 of 76
    This just goes to show that Apple is the most powerful tech company on the planet. They can change the practices of major corporations, and most importantly, they do so NOT by what they do, but by what they DON'T do.

And here, Apple will not support Flash.

So we see every major website in the world rejecting Flash, one after another, faster and faster, based upon their desire to have us Apple users view there site.

Every website wants us. All websites will move away from Flash. The juggernaught continues.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

By the end of Calendar 2010, and likely beginning with the iPad.

It is happening MUCH faster than that.

Very quickly, Flash will die a messy death. Probably within the next calendar quarter.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markk View Post

yes but what you don't know is that flash in windows has gpu acceleration enabled, OSX and linux doesn't

That is exactly the point I was making. The reason hardware acceleration is NOT enabled in OSX is because Apple will NOT supply the correct information to Adobe. I am fairly certain I made that point rather clear in my last post.

With the information Adobe needs they would be able to access the needed API's and Flash could and would run just as well on OSX as it does under Windows.

Its all about coding something I have been doing for 22 years.

Lets use another point. Google Chrome, Flash 10.1 is 58% more efficient then HTML5 under Windows. While using Firefox Flash 10.1 only used 6% CPU.

Yet again this is an Apple issue not an Adobe issue. Steve Jobs and Apple simply does not give Adobe the information they need which in turn only effects you and I the end users while SJ pushing his bogus agenda.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

This just goes to show that Apple is the most powerful tech company on the planet. They can change the practices of major corporations, and most importantly, they do so NOT by what they do, but by what they DON'T do.

So we see every major website in the world rejecting Flash, one after another, faster and faster, based upon their desire to have us Apple users view there site.

Every website wants us. All websites will move away from Flash. The juggernaught continues.

I wouldn't go that far, fanboy. But yeah, death to flash.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

Untrue. Because in some cases HTML 5 is not more efficient then Flash 10.1. There isn't anything in this article that says anyone is dumping or not using Flash, simply says they will also code to allow streaming via HTML5. Big difference.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/

http://developer.apple.com/mac/snowleopard/opencl.html

Aren't you just taking Adobe's BS as gospel?

I assume that Adobe at least have a ADC Subscription... they should be receiving code samples of OpenCL sometime during 2008.