Apple approves iPad apps, developers choose 'HD,' 'XL' names

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the iPad just over a week away from release, Apple has begun approving applications for the App Store, and developers are distinguishing their iPad-specific applications as "HD" or XL" versions.

Some iPad applications have already been approved by Apple and are listed in the Web-based iTunes Preview list of App Store software, as first discovered by PadGadget. Developers have chosen to label their iPad applications as "HD" or "XL" versions to distinguish them from their iPhone and iPod touch counterparts.

But iPhone and iPod touch users will not be able to access iPad applications from those devices, as the new software is specifically written for the 9.7-inch display on Apple's forthcoming hardware.

Titles discovered so far are games, including Plants vs. Zombies HD, Flight Control HD, Labyrinth 2 HD and Worms HD.

Last week, Apple began accepting submissions for iPad applications on the App Store. The appearance of software in iTunes Preview would suggest that they were whisked through the approval process in under a week.

In addition to iPad-specific software, the new device will be able to run virtually all of the existing App Store software, which has more than 150,000 applications. The Wi-Fi-only version of the hardware will go on sale in the U.S. on April 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 150
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I'll be on line at my closes apple store in NYC
  • Reply 2 of 150
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Is this Apple's way to STICK IT to the people (like me) who claim that the iPad (which I like very much and will be buying TWO) isn't really a TRUE HD device since it's limited to 720i (edit note 720i NOT 720p), isn't widescreen AND can only output basic video? I guess that'll teach us!
  • Reply 3 of 150
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Apparently the 'HD' doesn't stand for High Definition... though the XL is quite fitting for a device that is 'largely' an XL version of the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 4 of 150
    As a soon-to-be iPad owner, I can understand app developers using the 'XL' suffix to distinguish iPad versions of their applications from iPhone/iPod touch versions. However (and please correct me if I'm completely wrong here), isn't using the term 'HD' here just a bit misleading?

If I remember correctly, the iPad's screen resolution is 1024x768 - which would make it a bit shy of the minimum requirement to display true HD content, right?
  • Reply 5 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

As a soon-to-be iPad owner, I can understand app developers using the 'XL' suffix to distinguish iPad versions of their applications from iPhone/iPod touch versions. However (and please correct me if I'm completely wrong here), isn't using the term 'HD' here just a bit misleading?

If I remember correctly, the iPad's screen resolution is 1024x768 - which would make it a bit shy of the minimum requirement to display true HD content, right?

Correct...

The iPad can support 720 lines of horizontal resolution (1024x768), but to be considered true 720p capable, the resolution needs to be at least 1280×720.

The result of going with such an archaic screen aspect ration of 4:3 rather than widescreen.

Oh Well...
  • Reply 6 of 150
    ddleeddlee Posts: 4member
    Quote:

.... isn't using the term 'HD' here just a bit misleading?

If I remember correctly .... right?

HD = Huge'ish Display ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 150
    Quote:

768p is HD resolution. Standard Definition is 480.
  • Reply 8 of 150
    HD=Higher Definition not High Definition?
  • Reply 9 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

HD=Higher Definition not High Definition?

It probably means "Humongous Display"!
  • Reply 10 of 150
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:

One might argue and point out that HD might stand for "Higher" definition, which in that case...

If I were a developer I would call mine "SS" for supersized
  • Reply 11 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

768p is HD resolution. Standard Definition is 480.

Actually...

768p is not really one of the recognized HD standards, and in order for a display to be considered true HD with a horizontal pixel count of 768, overall resolution would need to be at least 1366x768/16:9 widescreen.
  • Reply 12 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Correct...

The iPad can support 720 lines of horizontal resolution (1024x768), but to be considered true 720p capable, the resolution needs to be at least 1280×720.

The result of going with such an archaic screen aspect ration of 4:3 rather than widescreen.

Oh Well...

The reason for the 4:3 is the device is primarily meant to be help in portrait. The main thing that suffers is movies.
  • Reply 13 of 150
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Correct...

Oh Well...

A widescreen orientation was not proper for this type of device. In case you don't know, the iPad is not just for watching movies and video.

I am quite sure Apple gave this some considerable thought. For a lot of apps, the more standard ratio, at least at for that screen size, is more appropriate.

This will be exposed when all the "iPad killers" pop up.
  • Reply 14 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The reason for the 4:3 is the device is primarily meant to be help in portrait. The main thing that suffers is movies.

I understand your position, but...

Given the iPad's pixel density, 2 pages could rather easily be read side-by-side with the device held horizontally, and not much would be compromised using a widescreen resolution of 1280×720 while still affording a much more pleasurable video/widescreen viewing experience i.e. no thick black bars at the top/bottom.

I guess it is what it is at this point.
  • Reply 15 of 150
    I have found some others:

In entertainment

A+ Records: Shake It! SP

A+ Records: Hotdog Eating Sp

Action Bricks SP

Action Bubble SP

Adrenaline Racer SP

Just a few pages search. I bet there have been many approved

Looks like along with HD and XP, SP is another extension being used
  • Reply 16 of 150
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    So I worry a little that the "HD/XL" tags might easily be glossed over by casual users on the store. If I search for something specific, like "Plants vs Zombies" then I would expect to pull up both the iPhone AND iPad versions in the search results and then I can simply choose the appropriate one.

On the other hand, what if I was just casually browsing the top lists and saw a game that a friend had mentioned before, say "Plants vs Zombies" and without realizing there was an iPad-specific version, went ahead and bought the iPhone/iPod Touch version? And more importantly, if I already have that game/app on my iPhone, am I basically going to have to re-purchase it again just for use on the iPad? I'm sure arguments can be made both ways as far as developers needing to get paid for the extra time invested, but on the other hand, the two platforms share the same basic OS and therefore, most of the underlying code is already written.

It seemed to me during the unveiling of the iPad that Apple would allow for (perhaps even encourage?) developers to create a universal app that contained the necessary files and content for both devices in a single app. While arguably, this would make the apps larger in overall storage footprint, it would greatly alleviate confusion. Now I will have to double-check before I buy apps just to make sure there is no iPad version.

I hope Apple makes some kind of adjustment to the way apps are displayed in the store, maybe something akin to the SD/HD clicker selection option that they currently show for TV shows and movies. And hopefully they add some additional pricing control that could allow a user who has already purchased the iPhone/Touch version to get a discounted price on the iPad version.
  • Reply 17 of 150
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    How about just calling the app "Fieldrunners iPad" or something?
  • Reply 18 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

So I worry a little that the "HD/XL" tags might easily be glossed over by casual users on the store. If I search for something specific, like "Plants vs Zombies" then I would expect to pull up both the iPhone AND iPad versions in the search results and then I can simply choose the appropriate one.

It seemed to me during the unveiling of the iPad that Apple would allow for (perhaps even encourage?) developers to create a universal app that contained the necessary files and content for both devices in a single app.

This would certainly be the most ideal solution, because as it stands this 'fracturing' of the Apps Store appears to create a situation nearly as confusing as that which the Android Market has been so liberally lambasted (in here).
  • Reply 19 of 150
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddlee View Post

HD = Huge'ish Display ;-)

NO- it has an HD radio in it.
  • Reply 20 of 150
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Correct...

Oh Well...

4:3 is not archaic.

16:9 for the device as a whole would have been stupid. Movie viewing is only one of many functions of the device. Its like saying that because there's an astronomical sky-viewing application, that the whole device should be circular.

16:9 would have made the device clumsy and tweeked for one orientation over the other.