Apple approves iPad apps, developers choose 'HD,' 'XL' names

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    To me the iPad can reasonably be called HD (in the video sense) if it can accept 720p content and show it at full res on external monitors.

The iPad screen itself is too small to notice the difference at a typical handheld viewing distance so 1024x576 will still look razor sharp. As long as it can output 720p to a TV it is legitimately HD. Black bars are a preference issue. I feel it is more "filmic" to since any decent movie DVD or HD movie channel will show the 1.95:1 or 2.35:1 version that is still letterboxed on a 16:9 screen. Just my 2c. 16:9 just feels TV'y

Now 720p is not great HD but it is as good as most people are getting through HD cable/Satellite and worlds better than SD which for the vast majority of users is as much as they want. I have no doubt that when Apple and the dev community have had some experience at coding for multiple screen res or Apple develops some res independence features, the iPhone res will increase too and maybe even the shape, though probably not to 16:9 (Droid is 1.66:1).
  • Reply 102 of 150
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It comes out to 13.5:9.

4:3 comes out to 12:9.

So it's closer to 4:3 than to 16:9.

Quote:

Work it out for yourself, and show it here.

15:10 is not closer to 16:9 than 12:9? You're not serious - are you?

What is so difficult to see - that you are unequivocally wrong?

Better yet- look at your iPhone- does that look more like a TV ratio or a widescreen ratio?

• Reply 103 of 150
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Better yet- look at your iPhone- does that look more like a TV ratio or a widescreen ratio?

It's not "15:10" it's 13.5:9.
  • Reply 104 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

It's not "15:10" it's 13.5:9.

WRONG>

3:2 = 15:10.

What is so difficult about that?
  • Reply 105 of 150
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

WRONG>

http://www.mathsisfun.com/equivalent_fractions.html
  • Reply 106 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Stop using 15:10. That makes it look different than what it is in comparison. You have to convert it to either :9 or both to :1. Or you can convert 16:9 to 3.56:2.

What's your problem with this. Several others have already shown you to be wrong. You're refusing to do the simple arithmetic.

It doesn't matter what you think the screen LOOKS like. The numbers are correct all the time.
  • Reply 107 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

WRONG>

Don't you seem to understand that 15:10 IS 13.5:9?

You asked if I failed math, but you seem to have failed forth grade arithmetic.
  • Reply 108 of 150
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Awesome ... this is the best AppleInsider argument since the one about the definition of "decade"!
  • Reply 109 of 150
    I decided to check out AI before going to bed. Now I have a huge knot in my ribs from laughing so hard at this debate about aspect ratios.
  • Reply 110 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This has been discussed by people "in the know" and they all come to the conclusion, as with their opinion on the large bezel that a lot of other people have complained about, the 4:3 aspect ratio was chosen for ergonomic reasons.

The aspect ratio closely matches that of a piece of paper and traditional printed materials. It also balances better in the hands when held in landscape mode.

The bezel exists because the device is too large to just lay in your hand as you can an iPhone. You will have to use your thumb to hang onto it. Without the bezel, your thumb would touch the display and fire off an input event.

After all is said and done, I'm sure Apple has done their homework and research on both of these and have come to the conclusion that this is the best device they could make, for now anyway. They obviously knew people would watch movies and video, but they must've figured for a device that will more than likely sit within arms reach, watching movies at that size (even letterboxed) would still be a great experience.

As far as using the HD initials, seems a little weird, but most people associate it with higher quality more than they do high definition. Most people don't even know what they stand for. HD has become the new XL, which was popular 20 years ago. Both of which connote something better than normal.

Well said, and so obvious. I don't understand why the 4:3 ratio is so hard to understand, or the need for the wide bezel. All kinds of people are going to use the iPad, not just those of us with decent dexterity. I'm sure that Apple tested this.
  • Reply 111 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtownfan View Post

I have found some others:

In entertainment

A+ Records: Shake It! SP

A+ Records: Hotdog Eating Sp

Action Bricks SP

Action Bubble SP

Adrenaline Racer SP

Just a few pages search. I bet there have been many approved

Looks like along with HD and XP, SP is another extension being used

i would go with X D!
  • Reply 112 of 150
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Please.

Stop.

Quoting.

The.

Trolls.
  • Reply 113 of 150
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Awesome ... this is the best AppleInsider argument since the one about the definition of "decade"!

Yes, this is like the nerd version of HolyTaco's "Drunken Argument Friday" series.

But it's even better because A.) it's about tech, B.) it's not Friday, and C.) people here are presumably sober (heck I think the majority of commenters are under the legal drinking age).

Hilarious!

Keep it up, guys!

The more you post, the lower your chances are of getting laid, which increases my odds!

Thanks in advance!

• Reply 114 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a TS not an.

What goes around...

"an" HD is correct..

a huge H is used there. and pronounced as "EH-CH"

"E" is a vowel, so "an" is used.

a BMW M3, an M3, an audi S4, an S4.
  • Reply 115 of 150
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I dare anyone to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that size. With a good encoding, I can hardly do it on my 50" plasma from 15 feet.

Not everything in life is about the specs.

I agree.
  • Reply 116 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No-one's 'quibbling' over anything, we're merely discussing the subject, and HD is far more than just a label, it's an Industry Standard, and what doesn't matter to you is not the least bit reflective of the entire world's consumers..

Deal With It -

Hmmmmm

What is the resolution of the HTC HD2?

Hasn't HD been users for years in smartphones to indicate 640x480 and 800x480 resolutions on smartphones?

And the industry standards for high-definition video are not "HD", they are 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc.

Deal with it!!!
  • Reply 117 of 150
    I don't care about res as long as it is 29.97 fps
  • Reply 118 of 150
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    no one is asking the most obvious question in all this....

WHY DO I HAVE TO RE-PURCHASE MY APPS????

steve jobs said during the media event the iPad will run almost all the apps in the app store....
  • Reply 119 of 150
    Quote:

Don't you seem to understand that 15:10 IS 13.5:9?

You asked if I failed math, but you seem to have failed forth grade arithmetic.

You failed Math and Basic Logic .

You are multiplying each ratio by different variable and think you are correct??

First you multiply 4:3 by 3 and come up with 12:9 but then you multiply 3:2 by 4.5 and get 13.5:9 and expect me to fall for your flawed reasonings?

OMG- I can't believe what I've been reading here at AI!

The correct proof is as follows:

4:3 times 3= 12:9

3:2 times 3= 9:6

or better

4;3 times 5 = 20;15

3:2 times 5 = 15:10

In both cases you can clearly see that 3:2 is a ratio where one side is 1 1/2 longer than the other whereas 4:3 is not.

Conclusion 3:2 is much closer to 16:9 than 4:3.

But Dude - look at the iPhone does it look squarish or rectagularish? I can't believe you actually think otherwise???

NOw I am late for school disproving your beliefs.
  • Reply 120 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

no one is asking the most obvious question in all this....

WHY DO I HAVE TO RE-PURCHASE MY APPS????

steve jobs said during the media event the iPad will run almost all the apps in the app store....

Steve lied?