Apple loads up new iBooks Store with free public domain iPad titles

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 70
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    We already knew this, well I did. You even see free public domain books on Steve's presentation iPad. Hard to believe AI never mentioned in this story that iBooks the app will be U.S. only. Not Apple fault, but a big "issue" for International customers nevertheless.



    Well, at least in most of Europe book prices are fixed and the rights holders (so far) want to keep up these fixed prices for ebooks. This makes the entire approach almost useless. In the few authorized ebook stores you can currently find hardcover titles that cost maybe 2-4 EUR less than the printed version - people will not pay $23-$35 for current ebooks unless they have added value. Apple can't offer different pricing for titles that are still under fixed pricing (up to 3 years in most countries). This will never take off. European newspapers do not really discount electronic versions either ? my local newspaper is over $600 per annum on the Kindle... almost identical to the printed edition including delivery.



    Free books from the Gutenberg project and other sources can be read using Stanza and other apps, so just having iBooks without any content would not make a big difference.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Actually the Kindle and Nook applications are on the App Store already and both work. Apple has also confirmed that you can use DRM-free ePub files from any source on the iPad. So, you are wrong on all accounts.





    Forgot, your right, thanks for the correction.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    This is great, THANKS.





    Your welcome and I saved you $500...





    You might also like this too



    http://lecturefox.com/



    http://the-manuals.com/



    http://emedicine.medscape.com/





    And a real whopper of a whole bunch of free e-book links



    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/20-best...-free-e-books/
  • Reply 24 of 70
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    I hope I can get iCon for free.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post


    Crazy thought...



    If I write a book, how can I get it in the iBook store? I shouldn't need a publisher.



    I doubt that you'll be able to get your book into the iBook store without a publisher. The allows Apple to have the publishers filter out any junk.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    It's the Disney World approach, you go there for a few days to vacation and can only buy a few Coke products. No Pepsi, no RC Cola, no Avian, no Fuji water, no wine, no beer, no liquor...etc. etc.



    While no alcohol is served at Magic Kingdom, it is most definitely served at the other parks. Wine and beer abound! Drinking "Around the World" at Epcot is a blast!
  • Reply 27 of 70
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post


    Internet without Flash is like China without Google.



    I agree, the lack of Flash is insignificant. (By a huge margin, Baidu is the majority search service in China.)
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post


    Smart not to preload iBooks and instead give it equal footing with Kindle and Nook bookstores. Heads off the feds, makes customers happy, broadens iPad's appeal, and somewhat nullifies Amazon and BN as competitors. At virtually no cost to Apple.



    I think that the reason that iBooks is not on the phone as shipped is so that Apple can keep it off iPads sold in countries that do not have authorization for the iBookstore.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I agree, the lack of Flash is insignificant. (By a huge margin, Baidu is the majority search service in China.)



    Yes, and it was awesome.



    I made a killing owning BIDU for about a year. Far outstripped the performance of GOOG.



    The Internet/Flash and China/Google comparison is fantastic.



    Thanks for the chuckles, TECHSTUD! With the quality of commentary you post here, I'd expect maybe 5.1 inches from you!
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post


    I think that the reason that iBooks is not on the phone as shipped is so that Apple can keep it off iPads sold in countries that do not have authorization for the iBookstore.



    I wondered about that. I think you're right, although I think you meant to say "iBooks is not on the "iPad"..."



    :-)
  • Reply 31 of 70
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I agree, the lack of Flash is insignificant. (By a huge margin, Baidu is the majority search service in China.)



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    Yes, and it was awesome.



    I made a killing owning BIDU for about a year. Far outstripped the performance of GOOG.



    The Internet/Flash and China/Google comparison is fantastic.



    Thanks for the chuckles, TECHSTUD! With the quality of commentary you post here, I'd expect maybe 5.1 inches from you!



    I guess Chinese sites don't use Flash either?
  • Reply 32 of 70
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    I must say...



    After participating in another forum for a few weeks now I have to say how much I appreciate AI and all you folks who comment here.



    Its like going to a steakhouse after eating a Chuck e Cheeses for far too long.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    I'm not buying an iPad until I get an i5 Macbook Pro. Jobs, are you listening?
  • Reply 34 of 70
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post


    Its like going to a steakhouse after eating a Chuck e Cheeses for far too long.



    What other forum?
  • Reply 35 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post


    I must say...



    After participating in another forum for a few weeks now I have to say how much I appreciate AI and all you folks who comment here.



    Its like going to a steakhouse after eating a Chuck e Cheeses for far too long.



    Be careful using the work "all of you" around here. Because there's some very different opinions on that subject.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post


    I'm not buying an iPad until I get an i5 Macbook Pro. Jobs, are you listening?



    Job's says: "not to worry". Apparently that means it's coming in the next six to 8 weeks.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    I agree, the lack of Flash is insignificant. (By a huge margin, Baidu is the majority search service in China.)



    And here's me thinking everyone knew that. It just goes to show where this guy (ts) pulls his opinions from.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post


    I hope I can get iCon for free.



    I thought you think the device is crap? You may not have used the work "crap", but you diss it every chance you get. Why would you buy a crap device?
  • Reply 39 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Free books from the Gutenberg project and other sources can be read using Stanza and other apps, so just having iBooks without any content would not make a big difference.



    Yes it would. The way the store is designed and laid out, the Apple experience. That makes a difference.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post


    What other forum?



    Starts with an "E" and ends with "ngadget"
Sign In or Register to comment.