Apple executives sell $200 million in stock

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Your thinking short term, these executives knew well in advance the stock would be high before a release of a new product.

so why sell if they don't have to and lose money.

Quote:

The very fact that they are selling goes to show they don't believe the stock is going to keep go up, rather it's going to trend down for some reason or several reasons. Likely they believe the iPad is not going to be such a success as they lead people to believe.

such a belief would be based on inside information and opens up a shitestorm of trouble for them. Cause you can bet that there will be a check into the timing of these sales as a matter of form. Double if the price suddenly drops

Quote:

After all there is a huge cost barrier to the iPad and there's a recession going on.

Not if you look at Apple's sales. Folks are still shopping there, recession or not. And have been the whole time.

Quote:

The iPad is not a standalone device, it requires a investment in a computer to make it work, so that limits it's sales to those who already have a computer and need another device.

known facts that Apple has never hidden. and many folks have a computer, PC or Mac,so really not a huge issue.

Quote:

It's already been shown it's going to take sales away from the iPod Touch.

really??? And when and where was that. or that the sales they might lose will be that big of a problem considering the higher profit on the ipad.

Quote:

Also it's just a matter of time before publishers realize they can just sell their content directly to the computer users and make all the profit and undercut Apple's 30% iBookStore commission.

the name of the game with ebooks is portability. which means hardware. which means getting your stuff onto nooks, kindles, ipads, etc. so they have to play nice to have access to the proper tools or risk piracy by having no DRM etc and making it simple to toss a book into systems like limewire and bittorrent.

Quote:

Also the fact that Apple just added 30,000 free e-books to the iBookStore gives customers a lot of reading material without having to buy anything. I'm sure publishers really loved that move, they want the whole iBookStore's eyeballs to themselves and customers buying instead of freeloading.

the titles in question are all public domain so it doesn't really matter cause publishers aren't publishing them. It is a PR stunt at best. And an easy way to lure folks into trying the ibook app over the Kindle etc one. Which actually could benefit the publishers, especially the indie ones just now epublishing cause folks get into the app they are more likely to go visit the store etc

Now a move that might piss off the publishers would be a rule that the first chapter of all books must be free instead of forcing folks to buy something they might not like but can't return.

Quote:

Once people find out about the hundreds of thousands of free e-books available (look for my post in Temporary Insanity Forum for links) and realize it's going to be a lot of work transferring them to the iPad, they will decide to just use their computer in the first place, has more storage too.

Many of those free books are pdfs which really aren't that hard to get on an iphone or a touch already.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Don't bother. Their name still shows up when they post, just the contents of their post are hidden, with an option on the side to reveal them.

which is fine cause it's generally easy to just skim right bye

Quote:

The only real way for an Ignore List to to work is to hide their posts completely.

the trouble isn't the original posts. it's all the folks insisting on giving the troll what he or she wants and replying to them. Because quotes aren't hidden. so I might ignore you (just an example) but then when Teckstud replies and quotes your whole message, I still see your nonsense.

so either folks need to stop feeding the trolls or the system needs to ignore not only the original messages but all messages that quote said person, even at the risk of cutting off a mixed quote message (which is actually solvable by removing the etiquette against single replies)
  • Reply 42 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

So its your prediction that the iPad will fail before its even released? ok we'll see how that pans out in the next 3 months or so.

Folks who bet against Apple these days usually end up with egg on their face.

Just cut, paste, and iCal for future laughs.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

The very fact that they are selling goes to show they don't believe the stock is going to keep go up

No, the very fact that they are selling means they were only actually able to sell it just now.

I wouldn't read anything more than that into it.

Most insider trades happen within a few days of getting fully vested.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=aapl
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:

Your thinking short term, these executives knew well in advance the stock would be high before a release of a new product.

The very fact that they are selling goes to show they don't believe the stock is going to keep go up, rather it's going to trend down for some reason or several reasons. Likely they believe the iPad is not going to be such a success as they lead people to believe.

After all there is a huge cost barrier to the iPad and there's a recession going on. The iPad is not a standalone device, it requires a investment in a computer to make it work, so that limits it's sales to those who already have a computer and need another device. It's already been shown it's going to take sales away from the iPod Touch.

Also it's just a matter of time before publishers realize they can just sell their content directly to the computer users and make all the profit and undercut Apple's 30% iBookStore commission.

The consumer will decide they can get the same content cheaper on their computers and not have to buy a $500 or more device to read e-books.

Also the fact that Apple just added 30,000 free e-books to the iBookStore gives customers a lot of reading material without having to buy anything. I'm sure publishers really loved that move, they want the whole iBookStore's eyeballs to themselves and customers buying instead of freeloading.

Once people find out about the hundreds of thousands of free e-books available (look for my post in Temporary Insanity Forum for links) and realize it's going to be a lot of work transferring them to the iPad, they will decide to just use their computer in the first place, has more storage too.

Dude...did you ever think that maybe (just maybe) when a person can look into his portfolio and see two or three commas in his bottom line he might say to himself "maybe I'll cash in a little stock and enjoy my life, or buy some new toys?"

Because what you just claimed is ridiculous.

Had there been a report that these people had liquidated their entire apple holdings at the same time, you might have a point. But right now, you don't.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Trolls this, trolls that- do you understand how limited your vocabulary is?

Look, just accept the fact that most people can't stand you. The reason is simple: you exude negativity or spout nonsense in every post.

Obviously, doing this gives you the jollies, and there's not much that we can do except keep pointing it out.

But just be aware: my bet is, you're building up lots of bad karma here, and if the past is anything to go by, we know what the inevitable outcome will be.

I await the day.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

OK then how about "They're smart enough to sell right before iPad is released."?

Or do you think that pure coincidence?

Maybe, maybe not. I forget the exact rules (I had to sell my options in a company some years ago) but I had to pick a day within a certain window months in advance. I don't remember how much latitude I had, but it just so happened on the day when the options were sold, the stock price was down and while I still made a nice little bonus, it certainly wasn't lifestyle changing.

Now if the iPod release date was picked many months ago and these guys knew the date, then maybe they took advantage of it (although that would be technically illegal), but the fact is that if you look at the history of Apple stock prices, there's no predicting the price: Apple has frequently announced good news and the stock has dropped and Apple announces nothing and the stock price has gone up. The fact is that the iPad release is already factored into the stock price and has been for some time.

One other note: I don't understand why so much was set aside for taxes. Maybe someone who is a tax accountant can chime in here, but wouldn't long term capital gains be taxed at only 18% Federal?
  • Reply 47 of 76
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    There is nothing very stupid about selling at an all-time high.

It's public information that AAPL is at an all-time high. That alone is a good cover story (if one is ever needed) about the rationale for selling.

These executives are all closely involved with AAPL's stunning success, so they deserve moolah. Funny to see Phil Schiller get so majorly rich (compared to me anyway). Homey got like $40 million!!
  • Reply 48 of 76
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

. Maybe someone who is a tax accountant can chime in here, but wouldn't long term capital gains be taxed at only 18% Federal?

I am not a tax accountant but if you own some options, exercised them Wednesday and sold the shares Thursday, that would not be long term capital gains. Instead it's either compensation, or short term dividends, interest income.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

One other note: I don't understand why so much was set aside for taxes. Maybe someone who is a tax accountant can chime in here, but wouldn't long term capital gains be taxed at only 18% Federal?

Dunno about how it all works but these were shares issued at a previous date. They cost $0 (free), so no taxes were paid previously. Likely they were accounted for as income/compensation.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newellscott View Post

I wonder if some motivation has to do obama raising capital gains tax rates to 20% (+3.8%=23.8% on sales over $200,000) next year to pay for the health care bill.

BTW, you report $1.00 over $200,000 in gain, you pay 3.8% for all of the gain; not just the dollars over $200,000.

Ugh. Please. No one RAISED anything. The tax reductions will sunset unless legislation is introduced to make the 15% capital gains tax permanent.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newellscott View Post

I wonder if some motivation has to do obama raising capital gains tax rates to 20% (+3.8%=23.8% on sales over $200,000) next year to pay for the health care bill.

BTW, you report $1.00 over $200,000 in gain, you pay 3.8% for all of the gain; not just the dollars over $200,000.

As I understand it, its not on *sales* over $200k, but on *all* (long term) capital gains for individuals with over $200k *income* (over $250 for couples.) And its a *proposal,*(unconnected to health care) not a *fact,* as you imply.

Get the facts right before you spout off as if you know something.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Unlike most companies, AAPL was only underwater for a short period of time early last year (if at all). Had the options vested then, I'm sure we would have seen some options sold at that time. As noted, this has nothing to do with the iPad.

You have no way of actually knowing this. The company can provide options at any strike price at any time, above or below the current share price at the time the options are issued.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

The very fact that they are selling goes to show they don't believe the stock is going to keep go up,

You might want to get a clue about tax law and compensation via stock, otherwise you sound even sillier than you typically do. A clue about what is really going on is in the article. Since you missed it the first time, let me rub your nose in it:

Quote:

Another three senior staffers -- Bertrand Serlet, Scott Forstall and Robert Mansfield -- also sold some shares to cover their tax burden.

As others pointed out, the dip from their sales has already evaporated. But that's fine, you can continue to think of Apple as beleaguered. You and the other Steve can keep that hope alive together.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I've heard people mention they add trolls to their ignore list. How do I do that? The trolls on here are annoying. Reading their comments is a waste of my time. I can't even imagine wasting my time to reply to them.

Click on their name to visit their profile. Then click on User Lists - the ignore list is in there. If people would just stop quoting them the system would be even more effective. Too bad it doesn't hide the posts of people who quote users on your ignore list. Oh well - some filtering of the crap is better than none!
  • Reply 55 of 76
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

As others pointed out, the dip from their sales has already evaporated.

What dip was that, btw? AAPL opened $2 higher this morning compared to last night's close and has been up all day. I hope nobody is talking about yesterday, without looking at what happened in the markets.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    b realb real Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Trolls in the thread.

Quadra - get much fresh air? Breaks from your keyboard? How's that male breast reduction surgery?

Are you normally pissy and defensive ALL the time?

Do you feel the need to defend Apple for every single article that comes out about them?

Sorry - so many questions... so little time until your next post.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You have no way of actually knowing this. The company can provide options at any strike price at any time, above or below the current share price at the time the options are issued.

Exactly. Thanks.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    execs have to file to sell long before hand and besides even if they knew iPad launch date

right through the year there's going to be LOTS of important Apple launch dates:

- New iPhone

- New iPhone OS

- New (according to S. Jobs important) upgrades to Macs

- new iPods.

- probably new cloud initiatives with their now under construction billion dollar data center

etc.

so if they sold later like before new iPhone in June (?) are people going to say Apple is doomed... look they are selling before the new iPhone, or iPod etc. comes out.

Gimme a break.

Also Apple stock goes up and up anyways for the last 10 years, thousands of percent since the return of steve.

when are execs supposed to sell? like never?
  • Reply 59 of 76
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Look, just accept the fact that most people can't stand you. The reason is simple: you exude negativity or spout nonsense in every post.

Obviously, doing this gives you the jollies, and there's not much that we can do except keep pointing it out.

But just be aware: my bet is, you're building up lots of bad karma here, and if the past is anything to go by, we know what the inevitable outcome will be.

I await the day.

I thought I was on your "ignore" list.

Blah, blah, blah- whatever-you only speak for yourself.

Please put me back on your ignore list- I implore you.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

I thought I was on your "ignore" list.

Blah, blah, blah- whatever-you only speak for yourself.

Please put me back on your ignore list- I implore you.

I don't have anyone on my 'Ignore' list. Not even you.