Apple seeks LTE expert for 4G-capable iPhone, hires for NC data center

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Job openings at Apple show that the company seeks to hire a cellular technology software manager familiar with LTE 4G high-speed, next-generation mobile broadband, as well as employees for its forthcoming massive data center in Maiden, N.C.

Apple looking for 4G expert

The nearly year-old job posting for a cellular technology software manager was revealed by Engadget Friday. Apple seeks an expert with "knowledge of one or multiple cellular technologies," including WCDMA/UMTS, HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE.

While Apple has not yet made any announcements regarding LTE, it would be the next logical step for the iPhone maker, given its exclusive arrangement with AT&T as the wireless provider in the U.S. AT&T has partnered with Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson for a 2011 commercial deployment of the company's Long Term Evolution network, commonly known as 4G.

Competitor Verizon also has plans to adopt LTE in the future. The transition is expected to cost U.S. carriers $1.78 billion each in the first year alone.

Apple is expected to announce its next-generation iPhone at this year's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. The conference is rumored to begin on June 28.

Whether or not the next-generation iPhone hardware supports LTE 4G, sources have told AppleInsider that the iPhone OS 4.0 software will deliver the long-awaited multitasking support that users have requested. The software is expected to arrive with the new iPhone this summer.

Last year, AT&T began its rollout of HSPA 7.2 in six U.S. cities. The new network speeds will allow iPhone 3GS users to take full advantage of their device, with download speeds of up to 7.2Mbps.

North Carolina data center jobs posted

This week, Apple posted 10 new job listings for its data center in Maiden, N.C. The company seeks to hire site managers, coordinators, and service, mechanical and electric technicians. The listings seek people who have worked in large data centers with more than a thousand servers.

The listings do not, however, offer insight on the exact purpose of Apple's sprawling data center in Maiden. In 2009, Apple selected the location to build its $1 billion server farm project.

Some have speculated that the 500,000 square foot center could be for cloud computing. One analyst has predicted that Apple will offer browser-based access to iTunes content from anywhere, on any connected device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This why my first iPad is wi-fi only.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I already have an iPhone, it has 3G data access, the data speeds of these cell towers is beyond pathetic, I'm also only purchasing the wireless iPad when it comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Steve is so pissed at Eric.

Apple Search, what else?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Looking forward to Apple Search. It will be good!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple has not yet made any announcements regarding LTE, it would be the next logical step for the iPhone maker, given its exclusive arrangement with AT&T as the wireless provider in the U.S. AT&T has partnered with Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson for a 2011 commercial deployment of the company's Long Term Evolution network, commonly known as 4G.

Competitor Verizon also has plans to adopt LTE in the future. The transition is expected to cost U.S. carriers $1.78 billion each in the first year alone.

Its understandable that AI is US-centric in its focus but don't forget that a large slice of the iPhone and potentially the iPad market is outside the US where mobile technology tends to be way ahead of the US. When Apple makes iPhone technology decisions I am sure they consider all their markets, not just AT&T and Verizon, assuming of course, that Verizon is or will be part of that market.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Most impressive is the server site in NC, $1B well spent.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It's nice to see that Apple is starting to catch up with the competition.

4G might still be far away, but Apple can hopefully put higher resolution screens in their phones or at least larger sized screen.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm more curious about this data center than anything else.

PS: hope Apple buys or set's up a service like Dropbox. They use a very intelligent system. Just yesterday I dropped a bunch of files onto it for a friend and despite my 40KBps hotel connection that time of the night (it's bad!) the 2GB of files were available nearly instantly because they already existed somewhere on Dropbox's server so all it did was link my account's shared folder to them. Dropbox is a very Apple-like setup, especially on the user's end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I already have an iPhone, it has 3G data access, the data speeds of these cell towers is beyond pathetic, I'm also only purchasing the wireless iPad when it comes out.

What country are in? It's not the US because AT&T has by far the best average data speeds according to the latest report. Or perhaps you're comparing it to WiFi or some wired internet, but that doesn't make much sense. I get 3Mbps on average, while that would be pathetic for 802,11g/n that is great for 3G in the US.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: hope Apple buys or set's up a service like Dropbox. They use a very intelligent system. Just yesterday I dropped a bunch of files onto it for a friend and despite my 40KBps hotel connection that time of the night (it's bad!) the 2GB of files were available nearly instantly because they already existed somewhere on Dropbox's server so all it did was link my account's shared folder to them. Dropbox is a very Apple-like setup, especially on the user's end.

That is the most interesting thing in the post. Cisco just announced a router system @

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...net_video.html

Hope that Apple has ordered theirs.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    From one job listing:

"The Site Services Technician is responsible for deploying and maintaining servers and the supporting infrastructure...

Desired:

• Familiarity with Apple’s Hardware Environment

• Apple, IBM pSeries and xSeries, Sun, HP, Datadomain, NetApp, Teradata, IBM Storage

--

Sounds like they will be running Xserves in the center. That would be cool.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Apple Search, what else?

If two guys can create google in their dorm room....what could Stevo do with all his resources?

And while were at it, I would like Apple to buy/develop a cable company, cellular company and make a flat screen TV with a decent interface!

Oh well!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    So should I just get an iPod touch and hold off buying a new iPhone until next year?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm using Dropbox to keep my macbook, iMac and 3Gs in sync and it's fantastic!

Really considering paying to upgrade from the free 2gig to the 50gig for $99. Just want to figure out if it's possible to sync my imac iPhoto to my macbook iPhoto using dropbox?

Best
  • Reply 14 of 29
    ATT has only rolled out HSPA (7.2Mbps) in six cities? I thought that it was much more. And here I go complaining about Canada's mobile carriers being slow at rolling out more city coverage for HSPA+ (21Mbps).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Any idea if the new iPhone will have a Super AMOLED screen? That thing is absolutely GORGEOUS in the samsung phone (I think samsung actually makes the screen too).
  • Reply 16 of 29
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

So should I just get an iPod touch and hold off buying a new iPhone until next year?

You may want to wait till 2020. The 2020 iPhone may include a wireless neural interface that is able to anticipate your actions by scanning brainwave activity. It will know who you want to call and start dialing the number before you even have it out of your pocket and will load web sites and launch apps as you think of them.

Seriously, though, it's like any other technology purchase decision. Do you need what it does now? Buy it. If you don't need it, wait. It might make sense to wait for the next gen iPhone this summer, but if you want/need an iPhone now, there's no point in waiting another year because it might (or might not) have some feature.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

ATT has only rolled out HSPA (7.2Mbps) in six cities? I thought that it was much more. And here I go complaining about Canada's mobile carriers being slow at rolling out more city coverage for HSPA+ (21Mbps).

Not that 21mbps can be reached - I honestly never noticed a change, but then I have a 3g sans S.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...-hspa-network/
  • Reply 18 of 29
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Apple Search, what else?

Indeed. I would like to add that we can recall how Microsoft won the browser war: they distributed IE for FREE with EVERY PC. Netscape had no chance despite commanding a massive market share.

Well, Apple ships MILLIONS of computers, phones and soon to be iPads, each one equipped with a browser. Apple should distribute their own search engine as the default engine.

With Bing, Microsoft proved that Google's search results can be easily duplicated. I don't think Google's much revered search algorithm is a mystery anymore. Most search engines offer very similar results to Google's actually. And with Apple's cash reserve they can hire a few bright minds from Yahoo or Google now that their non poaching agreement is over.

Imagine Apple's take on Search: a simple, intuitive user experience coupled with an elegant design. It's a no brainer. Most people including myself like to use Google Search because it's clean and simple which is exactly what Apple is great at.

Google decided to enter the mobile phone business so maybe it's time Apple did something about it
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Apple Search, what else?

Steve was quoted as saying "I wish I knew how I could quit you."
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

If two guys can create google in their dorm room....what could Stevo do with all his resources?

And while were at it, I would like Apple to buy/develop a cable company, cellular company and make a flat screen TV with a decent interface!

Oh well!

Prophetic. Google invaded Apple's turf. Search is the only thing missing from the Apple experience. (Heck they did Sherlock back in the day...)

I wouldn't bet against it...

Lemon Bon Bon.