Radio Shack set to become nation's second-largest iPhone retailer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Love it. Weren't they supposed to change their name to "The Shack" a while ago? I thought they just sold radio controlled cars anymore.

I don't know about you guys, but "The Shack" has a negative connotation for me. Kind of like something that is old and run down.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    <---- Still remembers when Radio Shack was a cool place to go (for DIY geeks anyway)
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I remember going in there as a kid with my dad to buy this little gadget that you hooked onto the back of the TV (with screws!) and then you hooked your video game (Pong, Atari) onto that. I think it had a little switch on it too. Wow, did I just date myself.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

I remember going in there as a kid with my dad to buy this little gadget that you hooked onto the back of the TV (with screws!) and then you hooked your video game (Pong, Atari) onto that. I think it had a little switch on it too. Wow, did I just date myself.

Well, I rode there on my bike to buy components to build home-made speakers. They were 4' tall and had 4 drivers each.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Love it. Weren't they supposed to change their name to "The Shack" a while ago? I thought they just sold radio controlled cars anymore.

Some of their radio-controlled cars (and helicopters) are kinda cool.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Quadra 610?.. is that.. you?

Hehe . . . it doesn't need to be, because that statement is actually true.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You might as well say the same thing about all non-Apple Stores that aren't particularly upscale, like Best Buy, etc.

Best Buy is 100 times better than Radio Shack- stop with your cheerleading already.

Radio Shack is pure strip mall.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Radio Shack sold in Canada a few years back and became 'The Source'.

It's about a 50% markup on everything brand name.

Most of what they push is Craig Electronics and Curtis Electronics.

If you want to see what a high caliber electronics maker looks like... look no further then Craig's website. They take Apple's 'minimalist' concept even further... to the extreme.

http://www.craigelectronics.com/
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Wow, did I just date myself.

Now, how does one do that....... with a mirror?

And, do you split the check?

• Reply 30 of 36
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:

I'd put you at about 45... I have the same memory.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It doesn't matter to me where they sell, as long as they sell.

Likewise. And I don't care if the person selling it barely understands how it works. It's intuitive enough that customers can figure it out.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

Congratulations on buying an iPhone. May I have your zip code please? No, I must have your zip code. There is no way in hell I can sell you this iPhone unless you give me your zip code! GIVE ME YOUR ZIP CODE!! You don't want to give me your zip code? Fine, no iPhone for you. Would you like overpriced batteries? Yes? OK, what's your zip code?

You have them down pat!
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

It always amazes me that the little fanbois are willing to pay top dollar at an Apple Store instead of trying to save a few bucks and obtain the same item elsewhere at another store. Not too bright if you ask me.

It's all about the UX.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I still see no reason to treat this article as anything other than the gospel truth.

Like everything else written by The Onion, it IS the gospel truth. HTH.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesJpn View Post

Congratulations on buying an iPhone. May I have your zip code please? No, I must have your zip code. There is no way in hell I can sell you this iPhone unless you give me your zip code! GIVE ME YOUR ZIP CODE!! You don't want to give me your zip code? Fine, no iPhone for you. Would you like overpriced batteries? Yes? OK, what's your zip code?

During a wireless transaction, all of your information is loaded into the POS automatically from the carrier's servers.

Fail.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    My store has sold 8-10 iPhones so far, and we just started receiving inventory about two weeks ago. The only reason we haven't sold more, is because they haven't given us enough inventory yet. Now that they know our store can sell the shit out of them, we'll be getting a lot more inventory. Don't be fooled, a lot of Radio Shack employees are very capable when it comes to selling phones, and the iPhone is the easiest phone in history to sell. Yes, we do make some good money selling them, but to be honest, I just enjoy selling them. Why? Because it's easy. It's fun to show the customer. I can be confident that I won't see them in a few weeks with problems or frustrations, wanting to return the phone or swap it for something else. Do you know how many Palm and Android phones I've had to swap or take back due to poor performance, poor battery life or being just plain defective? I'm so glad that we finally have the iPhone to sell.

As for BestBuy "buying" Radio Shack, no. Radio Shack has more cash on hand than any electronics retailer, save for Apple. Best Buy can't afford Radio Shack. Note that the story used the term, "merger". It's actually more likely that Radio Shack could buy BestBuy.