Apple's Steve Jobs, Google's Eric Schmidt reconcile over coffee

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Portrayed by reports in recent months to be brutal rivals who dislike each other, CEOs Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs were spotted drinking coffee Friday in Palo Alto, Calif.

Photos of Schmidt and Jobs talking were snapped and sent to Gizmodo. Jobs was in his trademark mock turtleneck and jeans at the cafe Calafia in the Town and Country shopping center. The establishment is owned by former Google chef Charlie Ayers.

Jobs was overheard by the photographer as saying two things: "They're going to see it all eventually, so who cares how they get it," reportedly said about Web content. And, "Let's go discuss this somewhere more private," after a crowd began to gather around the two.

The report said that Schmidt was mostly quiet and listening while Jobs did most of the talking.

"The fact they'd meet in a neutral place like this implies, although does not prove, they chose a public place for its neutrality," Gizmodo's Brian Lam wrote. "Or they just wanted coffee and inevitably started talking shop, albeit in public. But since when do billionaires have to step out for coffee? The only thing that adds up is that neither felt comfortable meeting at each other's HQs, and this is the start of talks that will inevitably be tense for both sides."

Jobs' Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG was also spotted parked out front.

Is that an iPad near Schmidt's coffee?

In addition to being chief executive of the search giant, Schmidt was also a member of the Apple Board of Directors until last year. Since his departure from the Apple board, Schmidt has shared kind words on the Mac maker. However, the perception of a growing rivalry and intense dislike between the two companies has only grown.

Earlier this month, The New York Times reported that people close to Jobs said the Apple executive feels that Google "violated the alliance" it had with the iPhone maker when it began producing its own Android-powered cellphones that resemble the iPhone. One person familiar with both companies said the level of animosity involved puts it on a level of "World War III" between the two tech giants.

That report alleged that Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page considered Jobs a mentor, and were regular visitors to the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus. And while the relationship between Jobs and Schmidt was said to be pleasant, the two were reportedly "never close friends."

In February, multiple reports suggested Jobs disparaged Google at a meeting with Apple employees. Specifically, he was quoted as saying that the search giant's "don't be evil" motto is "a load of crap" -- an incident later corroborated by the Times. It was also alleged that Jobs said Google wants to "kill" the iPhone.

It has even been rumored that Apple and Microsoft entered into talks to make Bing the default search engine and maps provider for the iPhone. Google, in the wake of those reports, has maintained that Apple is a "valuable partner."

Legally parked; still no plates...

And Schmidt has also insisted that all is well between the two companies stating that he has a "soft spot" in his heart for Apple. The former board member also had a peek at some of the products the Cupertino, Calif., company is working on, and said Apple has "a lot of very good stuff coming."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Interesting...

I bet googles trying to get apple to lighten up, and Jobs isn't backing down...

Or by what they were saying they could be talking about using bing instead of google, and he is saying there going to see it eventually...

idk

But what is that black thing on the table
  • Reply 2 of 98
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I have the sneaking suspicion that Schmidt knows HTC doesn't have a chance, and he's meeting with Steve in a non-confrontational manner to discuss terms.

Or, it could be a "last meal" sort of thing for Schmidt before he ends up somewhere a few miles off the coast.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Portrayed by reports in recent months to be brutal rivals who dislike each other, CEOs Eric Schmidt and Steve Jobs were spotted drinking coffee Friday in Palo Alto, Calif.

Steve drinks coffee? Not tea?

Quote:

Jobs' Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG was also spotted parked out front.

Was it parked legally though?
  • Reply 4 of 98
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    I'd still watch my 6.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I have the sneaking suspicion that Schmidt knows HTC doesn't have a chance, and he's meeting with Steve in a non-confrontational manner to discuss terms.

Or, it could be a "last meal" sort of thing for Schmidt before he ends up somewhere a few miles off the coast.

You may have something there.

I think the choice of HTC -- and HTC alone -- was quite strategic. Palm is dying anyway, Samsung/LG are component suppliers, and SE/Nokia are, frankly, behind the curve on the technology and perhaps not (yet) worth the bother. With HTC, it is also a nice swipe at Google.
  • Reply 6 of 98
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Take a close look at the table. Doesn't that black slab look suspiciously like an iPad?
  • Reply 7 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I'd still watch my 6.

I say Schmidt's coffee was coffee + an undisclosed substance . . . that wasn't there when the guy behind the counter made it.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Why so much hostility towards everyone that doesn't have the Apple logo?

But I do agree the discussion was probably about HTC and how their lawyers will probably discover whatever Apple's holding back in the case.

If it is about web content, then there must be a secret project going on...
  • Reply 9 of 98
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Wow, what a photo; didn't think this would ever happen. Good that they're talking but Job's should have just kicked his ass. He's skinny, but he could do it. A "ding" right between the eyes.
  • Reply 10 of 98
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    ripped jeans and black socks (and gray NBs)
  • Reply 11 of 98
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Take a close look at the table. Doesn't that black slab look suspiciously like an iPad?

I noticed that too. Sure looks like one
  • Reply 12 of 98
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:

When are they actually going to court?

This rivalry was overblown anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Why so much hostility towards everyone that doesn't have the Apple logo?

But I do agree the discussion was probably about HTC and how their lawyers will probably discover whatever Apple's holding back in the case.

If it is about web content, then there must be a secret project going on...

Maybe it's about their (I assume joint) HTML5 strategy . . .

Well, something is going on because they obviously *knew* they'd be seen in public, and perhaps even *wanted* to be seen in public. An obvious observation, sure, but it speaks volumes.

Perhaps there was never any real rivalry to begin with.

Or maybe Eric begged Steve to please, please, please be his friend again since he's made to feel so lonely at Google.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Steve Jobs was quote as saying to Eric: "I wish I knew how to quit you."
  • Reply 15 of 98
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Keep your friends close and your deceitful backstabbing former board member closer
  • Reply 16 of 98
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

ripped jeans and black socks (and gray NBs)

Its the classic look!

Really, if he wanted to be more ingognito, he would go for a different look.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by terun78 View Post

Looks more like one of those executive note binders to me. There's a "thickness" to it.

Quote:

Maybe it's about their (I assume joint) HTML5 strategy . . .

Well, something is going on because they obviously *knew* they'd be seen in public, and perhaps even *wanted* to be seen in public. An obvious observation, sure, but it speaks volumes.

Perhaps there was never any real rivalry to begin with.

Or maybe Eric begged Steve to please, please, please be his friend again since he's made to feel so lonely at Google.

HTML5 would fit the bill too.

And yes, this has got to be crafted by their PR people. A phone call would have been easier. Meeting in public brings attention.
  • Reply 18 of 98
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

But what is that black thing on the table

Looks like Google's new iPad
  • Reply 19 of 98
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by terun78 View Post

Good to know I'm not the only one. I'm surprised the article didn't mention it. To find an iPad out in the wild would be a big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 98
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:

the article says neither was comfortable being at the other's HQ - but the article is written by a moron at gizmodo. Anybody can see that this is, without a doubt, a "publicity stunt." Never in a million years would SJ and ES think they could get any privacy sitting outside like that. The photos of them drinking coffee together is exactly what they wanted. Diffuse the drama circulating about their relationship, and talk about the issues like men.

What i'm more curious about is, who reached out to who first?