Apple approves iPad apps, developers choose 'HD,' 'XL' names

Comments

• Reply 121 of 150
    No, he didn't lie.

The iPad will run all of the Apps in the App Store. If you WANT to run the iPhone versions at crappy resolution, you can.

Developers are releasing iPad versions in the hopes that you'll want the improved features offered by the iPad. Whether they're worth the money to you will be another story.
  • Reply 122 of 150
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TECHSTUD View Post

Steve lied?

Not this time.
  • Reply 123 of 150
    stickydstickyd Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I understand your position, but...

Given the iPad's pixel density, 2 pages could rather easily be read side-by-side with the device held horizontally, and not much would be compromised using a widescreen resolution of 1280×720 while still affording a much more pleasurable video/widescreen viewing experience i.e. no thick black bars at the top/bottom.

I guess it is what it is at this point.

They chose the 4:3 ratio b/c the majority of videos/apps in the iTunes store and what people own are in this 4:3 ratio. They are trying to provide a solution that will satisfy the majority of their customers. I don't need a 1080p HD screen on my iPad. If I want a true HD experience, I'll use my 50" 1080p Plasma TV! As long as the video and picture looks good, I'll be happy. In fact, every live demo I've seen displayed a gorgeous looking screen and resolution.
  • Reply 124 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

"an" HD is correct..

a huge H is used there. and pronounced as "EH-CH"

"E" is a vowel, so "an" is used.

a BMW M3, an M3, an audi S4, an S4.

You are wrong on this one. You only use "an" if the "H" is silent - be it big or small. Example of using it the right way: "An hour". Now the wrong way: "An hustler".

Trying saying: "an M3". Ok, fine. Now trying saying "an Hoover". One sounds right, the other doesn't. There's a reason for that.

Quote:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug"

- Mark Twain

If you used the "H" the way the English use it, it is called the English language after all: you'd say "a HD TV". You're obviously American. This is an interesting dilemma.

Turns out depending on where you live in the U.K. you may go either way, so for now I'm assuming both are correct. The issue is because people say it differently the other way "sounds" wrong to both parties. Like the word: niche.
  • Reply 125 of 150
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I dare anyone to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that size. With a good encoding, I can hardly do it on my 50" plasma from 15 feet.

Not everything in life is about the specs.

From 15 feet, I can guarantee you can not tell the difference. It would be a physical impossibility. But you see for some people, they don't care about the experience. They actually care far more about the numbers.

These are the same people who think that creating a greater number of pixels in a photograph file, makes the camera better.

The chances are a 720p movie played on the iPad's screen might actually resolve more detail to the eye of a viewer than a 1080p image on a 50" screen viewed at a comfortable 15feet.

But, of course, that does not matter. What matters are the *numbers*.

C.
  • Reply 126 of 150
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are wrong on this one. You only use "an" if the "H" is silent - be it big or small. Example of using it the right way: "An hour". Now the wrong way: "An hustler".

Trying saying: "an M3". Ok, fine. Now trying saying "an Hoover". One sounds right, the other doesn't. There's a reason for that.

If you used the "H" the way the English use it, it is called the English language after all: you'd say "a HD TV". You're obviously American. This is an interesting dilemma.

Turns out depending on where you live in the U.K. you may go either way, so for now I'm assuming both are correct. The issue is because people say it differently the other way "sounds" wrong to both parties. Like the word: niche.

Hope that there is a Ap that will sort this all out.
  • Reply 127 of 150
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

edit: you covered it. but:

And you would NEVER say "a HD" because its an acronym, hence pronounced "aitchdee" which of course starts with a vowel.

Not that any of this matters at all (as an English M.A. I can't resist from commenting)
  • Reply 128 of 150
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

... and then technology moved forward, and the widely held meaning of HD changed accordingly.

Actually it didn't... HD can mean whatever the user wants it to mean. You assume it means High Definition Video, because you're not considering the context in which it is being used.

Yes HD when referring to video usually stands for a technology which defines a standard set of video resolutions.

In storage, it still means Hard Disk and probably always will.

And in several examples it could also stand for High Density, as in displays and storage.

In the case of the applications for the iPad, I would assume it means "Higher Definition" meaning, higher resolution graphics to differentiate between the smaller screen size of the iPhone from the larger display of the iPad and more than likely will only be used when the developer has the same application for both devices. For instance the developer of "Zombieville USA" may want to create another version specifically for the iPad, then he would name it "Zombieville USA HD".
  • Reply 129 of 150
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Yes... In Your Opinion.

But any given trip to one's local electronics store will reveal that some 99% of all devices/monitors/laptops/netbooks/media players/et al. (including Apple's very own laptops etc.) are widescreen, and simply because Apple decided to go with 4:3 for their 'New Creation' will hardly reverse that trend.

Your argument is flawed because of the devices you are comparing to the iPad. The iPad is meant for landscape or portrait, where as laptops, netbooks, monitors (with very few exceptions), and SOME media players are not. The first three devices stay in one orientation, so the 16:9 arrangement is a no-brainer. Like others have said, the iPad is more than just playing movies. End of story.
  • Reply 130 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juliasandrick View Post

Really happy after reading the article as people are going to get more and more applications now. 150,000 applications are really huge and i think there is no problem with the terms HD or XL as it only distinguishes iPad apps from iPhone and iPod Touch Apps.

You're right. Most people around here are totally anal anyway - with regards to terminology..
  • Reply 131 of 150
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Your argument is flawed because of the devices you are comparing to the iPad. The iPad is meant for landscape or portrait, where as laptops, netbooks, monitors (with very few exceptions), and SOME media players are not. The first three devices stay in one orientation, so the 16:9 arrangement is a no-brainer. Like others have said, the iPad is more than just playing movies. End of story.

Agreed, please don't get sucked into another aspect ration argument--AI does have an ignore list.
  • Reply 132 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

edit: you covered it. but:

And you would NEVER say "a HD" because its an acronym, hence pronounced "aitchdee" which of course starts with a vowel.

You're missing the point.
  • Reply 133 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Like others have said, the iPad is more than just playing movies. End of story.

I'd say it will be it's least used feature. Apple are not always right, and not near perfect in many respect, but I doubt they simply gave it a 4:3 display without thought. If you look at tablet computers in science fiction movies and TV shows they all seem to have 4:3 displays and are used in portrait orientation.
  • Reply 135 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    As in Zune HD or HTC Touch HD.

It's a marketing term, get over it you can't rewrite the dictionary.

As the iPad's 1024x768 is higher than standard definition of the iPhone AND standard definition TV, Apple can call it whatever they want.

Quote:

... and then technology moved forward, and the widely held meaning of HD changed accordingly.

• Reply 136 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

no one is asking the most obvious question in all this....

WHY DO I HAVE TO RE-PURCHASE MY APPS????

steve jobs said during the media event the iPad will run almost all the apps in the app store....

You don't have to repurchase any of your apps, and they will work on the iPad exactly as you bought them.
  • Reply 137 of 150
    720p has a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and a horizontal resolution of 1280 pixels, that is 1280×720, for a total of 921,600 pixels. The 1280×720 format is always progressive scan, there is no interlace version of 1280×720. For legacy material it can also be used with an aspect ratio of 4:3 and then is 960×720 px.

Source: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

BTW LCD screens are almost ALWAYS progressive scan.
  • Reply 138 of 150
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I dare anyone to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen that size. With a good encoding, I can hardly do it on my 50" plasma from 15 feet. Not everything in life is about the specs.

Well since the screen can't do EITHER of those resolutions I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?
  • Reply 139 of 150
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    If it looks really good, (and you know it does) then who cares what they call it? All I know is it can load HD content from iTunes, from YouTube, and possibly other sources, and has more than 720 "vertical" pixels. Good 'nuf
  • Reply 140 of 150
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well since the screen can't do EITHER of those resolutions I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?

You're looking for someone to care. Get a clue. We don't. The iPad's resolution is 1024 x 768. This fact isn't debatable. Nor is it debatable that HD files from iTunes and YouTube will play on this device.

If you want to push some other bizarre interpretation of how thats supposed to make us feel, continue it somewhere else, this discussion is as old and tired and pointless as matte vs. gloss.