Working at Microsoft - is it REALLY like this?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My mate sent me this video last night "a day in the life of" some guy working at Microsoft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TuSf7TOdmY

Looks like a pretty sweet gig to me

Would you rather work for Microsoft, Apple or Google?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Go away Bill.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ps88jk View Post

My mate sent me this video last night "a day in the life of" some guy working at Microsoft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TuSf7TOdmY

Looks like a pretty sweet gig to me

Would you rather work for Microsoft, Apple or Google?

Having been to all three campuses, I would say Google. They REALLY got it sweet.

Apple is a flippant, paranoid, childlike, tight fist bunch, turnover rate is rather high and change up is the norm, the smog, heat and traffic in Cupertino (correction was "SoCal") is terrible.

Microsoft Redmond is like working at the post office, nothing changes much, everything is staged, slow moving and lots of meetings, relaxing campus though. Money is everywhere, the whole town is coated in gold basically.

Google is like dying and going to perk heaven, if you can get in that is. They only want the best and better if they come after you first that trying to get in on your own.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Apple is a flippant, paranoid, childlike, tight fist bunch, turnover rate is rather high and change up is the norm, the smog, heat and traffic in SoCal is terrible.

In that Cupertino is in Northern California, kinda throws the rest of your insights into doubt.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In that Cupertino is in Northern California, kinda throws the rest of your insights into doubt.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good troll rant.

Apple SUX, Google Rulz.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm just trying to get my head around the idea of a flippant, paranoid, tight-fisted child. Their tiny, darting eyes....
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Is is really like that?

hmmm... Well, would you trust a corporate recruiting video to be the whole story?

And which company would I like to work for...? Well, a lot of us would like to have any job (I know I'm happy I have my job designing trade show booths)!

That said, if I could pick one of the three, I agree with the concensus that google would be the top choice.

In the meantime, I just keep plugging away.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    If i'll have time, i'll actually find an ex-Googler's rant, if you guys would like. The guy left to join Microsoft.

Anyway, one of the things he hated most at Google, was that he didn't get to have his own workstation, and was constantly shuffled around. There was something else too. But i'll have to re-read it to know.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Correction:

"Apple is a flippant, paranoid, childlike, tight fist bunch, turnover rate is rather high and change up is the norm, the smog, heat and traffic in Cupertino is terrible."

I used to live in San Bernadino and Laguna Beach a long time ago, smog there too, and very hot.

Having a choice between most places in California or Redmond area, I would have to pick Redmond for it's cleaner air, tree's and relaxing atmosphere. Likely the reason why it's so mediocre there and reflects in their software.

On the other hand it seems companies in California are more motivated because the heat and the smog is bothering them, forcing them to be more motivated. Likely the reason a lot of people are leaving California for states further north and that guy drove a plane into the building in Texas.

It's the smog I tell you!