Apple acquires iPad trademark from Fujitsu

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good buy form Fujitsu, but it wasn't worth $31B

• Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino View Post

I keep reminding these same people they've been using a different kind of "pad" (pictured below) for years already so the joke isn't that clever.

Do these same people have a good old belly laugh every time they use a paper note pad at work? really you'd have to have a strangely wired way of thinking to make a leap from ipad or note pad or think pad to sanitary product. I can honestly say it never occurred to me. But as we say in the north of England, "there's nowt so queer as folk" in other words, it takes all sorts.

• Reply 23 of 42
    As we had predicted Fujitsu won the trademark lottery. Google had three options, a straight-up response with survey evidence, etc. arguing there was no likelihood of confusion with Fujitsu?s trademark. In the alternative they could have sought the consent of Fujitsu to register their iPad trademark ? with or without financial remuneration. Lastly, they could just purchase the mark from Fujitsu.

Evidently Steve Jobs opted for option three and chose to bring over a wheelbarrow full of cash to Fujitsu. Congratulations to Fujitsu for winning the latest Apple trademark lottery (See prior matter for the iPhone).

The only question now is will this lead to a generation of new ?i? derivative intent-to-use trademarks filed for by cybersquatters in hopes of winning the next Apple trademark lottery?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Trademark Company View Post

Google had three options, a straight-up response with survey evidence, etc.

if you're going to troll at least have enough brains to get the company right! [... and the product]

Trollers are getting dumber by the day...
  • Reply 25 of 42
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I know the iPad name in regards to Fujitsu was and is a point of contention among the Apple haters here. Saying that Apple had no right to the name because Fujitsu used it for another device. Steve Jobs is (favorite negative adjective here) ... blah, blah blah.

So sorry Apple haters; Apple and Jobs won again.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dirac View Post

The statement "Apple acquires iPad trademark from Fujitsu" cannot be supported form the article's account the way I read it. We don't know exactly how Apple came to be granted it, or whether Fujitsu was paid.

A bit more accuracy would be nice, otherwise thanks for the reports.

The article says "Fujitsu Frontech North America Inc. assigned Apple the rights to the iPad trademark on March 17."

So we know that Apple acquired the tm from Fujitsu.

Apple seems to have played by the rules and gotten what it needed in a businesslike manner. All good.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I know the iPad name in regards to Fujitsu was and is a point of contention among the Apple haters here. Saying that Apple had no right to the name because Fujitsu used it for another device. Steve Jobs is (favorite negative adjective here) ... blah, blah blah.

So sorry Apple haters; Apple and Jobs won again.

There's no point of contention. Apple probably had no rights to the name because Fujitsu used it for another electronic device.

Apple acquired the mark from Fujitsu. Likely the mark is more valuable to Apple than to Fujitsu, and likely Apple compensated them for most of that value. That's business. Apple wanted something owned by Fujitsu, and they worked out a deal.

Business as usual.

Why get into the "haters" line of comment? What the heck?

Apple didn't win. Fujitsu didn't lose. They came to a deal which benefited both of them. That's what makes business happen.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Trademark Company View Post

As we had predicted Fujitsu won the trademark lottery. Google had three options, a straight-up response with survey evidence, etc. arguing there was no likelihood of confusion with Fujitsu?s trademark. In the alternative they could have sought the consent of Fujitsu to register their iPad trademark ? with or without financial remuneration. Lastly, they could just purchase the mark from Fujitsu.

Evidently Steve Jobs opted for option three and chose to bring over a wheelbarrow full of cash to Fujitsu. Congratulations to Fujitsu for winning the latest Apple trademark lottery (See prior matter for the iPhone).

What's the evidence that Apple "paid" for it? There's none in the article, and none in the reference, and none at the USPTO page.

It's also not clear that Apple "paid" any cash for the iPhone trademark either. There was some agreement to work cooperatively on stuff with Cisco but I don't remember any cash considerations (as they say in sports).
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is Fujitsu still marketing the iPad POS device?

Please clarify the use of "POS" in this context
  • Reply 30 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Please clarify the use of "POS" in this context

http://www.currentdirections.com/har...u/ipad100.html

Point-Of-Sale . . .
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.currentdirections.com/har...u/ipad100.html

Point-Of-Sale . . .

Thanks for the link. I was trying to be a bit clever, because of the multiple meanings of "POS". Fujitsu's device actually looks like it would be useful, so maybe that's why my attempt to be clever appears to have been a fail.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Heh...now all Google has to do is manage the same thing for Android. They don't hold that trademark from what I understand.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Thanks for the link. I was trying to be a bit clever, because of the multiple meanings of "POS". Fujitsu's device actually looks like it would be useful, so maybe that's why my attempt to be clever appears to have been a fail.

Yeah, I know what your intent was.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

What's the evidence that Apple "paid" for it? There's none in the article, and none in the reference, and none at the USPTO page.

It's also not clear that Apple "paid" any cash for the iPhone trademark either. There was some agreement to work cooperatively on stuff with Cisco but I don't remember any cash considerations (as they say in sports).

Can't argue with you that we don't have evidence that they actually paid for it. In our experience, however, corporations rarely give away their assets for free. The USPTO's assignment is merely one of many documents surely executed between Apple and Fujitsu on this. More likely than not they entered into something called a Confidential Settlement Agreement or Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement wherein the actual simple assignment filed with the USPTO was merely an exhibit.

In short, they do not make the details of their transactions public unless the are required to do so by the SEC. In this instance, they would not be as the purchase of an asset and the details thereof are not required to be reported unlike the acquisition of all assets (stock) of a publicly traded company.

So you've got us on the evidence factor. Again, we just doubt that Fujitsu would say "Here, take this for free."

Have a good Saturday.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    rainrain Posts: 538member

Millions of us will NEVER refer to or call it by it's given name.

It will have a street name like slate, board, tablet, or something. Or people will just give it a personal name like a pet.

Most people now still refer to it as Apple Tablet.

Just because Apple gave it the worst name possible does not mean it's going to catch on. Furthermore, no branding agency in the world is applauding this experiment in absurdity.

And contrary to some of your posts - the brand is not taking off... not at all. Your confusing the product excitement with brand excitement.

The Apple brand however, is as strong as ever.

My favorite is still listening to the keynote - when the name drops down - hearing all the people groan.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

All you effeminate nerds can have your pad.

It will have a street name like slate, board, tablet, or something.

Yeah, like That Nintendo Motion Console everyone still talks about... I faintly remember nobody liking its name.

Never mind that most people in non-English speaking nations don't even think twice about the name.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

All you effeminate nerds can have your pad.

It will have a street name like slate, board, tablet, or something. Or people will just give it a personal name like a pet.

Just because Apple gave it the worst name possible does not mean it's going to catch on. Furthermore, no branding agency in the world is applauding this experiment in absurdity.

And contrary to some of your posts - the brand is not taking off... not at all. Your confusing the product excitement with brand excitement.

My favorite is still listening to the keynote - when the name drops down - hearing all the people groan.

Closeted much?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

That's a curious "us" in your comment. "What us nerd boy"? Millions are just fine calling it by its given name. What're you going to call it then? "That Apple tablet mobile device thingy"? Perhaps "Apple's Slice of Heaven"? Maybe "Computing Squared"? How about "The best internet, device, the best email device, the best eBook reader, the internet in your hands magical device"?

Seriously you can be so funny sometimes - even when you don't mean to be!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Apple could battle Fujitsu over ownership of iPad name

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106666

This is just one thread with anti-Apple, anti-Jobs, and anti-iPad name posts.

There are probably more I could find if I cared more to find them.

Why do that though, even this thread contains anti-Apple, etc., jabs.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Did Apple consult any women when naming the device? Doubt anyone but SJ was 'consulted' on the naming. Find three women that thing iPad is good name. I've yet to find one.. . seriously.