- HDMI

- LightPeak x2

- Nvidia GPU

- matte screen

- Core i7 quad-core (8 threads)

- 16GB RAM

- 512GB SSD

- preferably a price lower than US$ 8,000

With the exception of Lightpeak and the RAM limit, you just described a Sony Vaio Z running OS X spec for spec. That's pretty much exactly what I want too.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    DisplayPort 1.2 allowing multiple monitors via single connector
  • Reply 24 of 45
    If you don't want a 13" MBP, don't buy one. Why bother suggesting that it shouldn't be a Pro model, other than some misplaced elitism?

Personally, I'll take the cheaper, smaller, lighter 13" MBP. Sorry if you're offended that I'm not "Pro" enough for you.

If I want a huge screen, I'll use my desktop. I want a new notebook for portability.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    hdmi check

usb 3.0

firewire

pico projector from the apple logo

sd card slot with osX on it for instant startups

no real keyboard, virtual keyboard touch screen. the whole "keyboard" as touch screen

allows for custom keyboards and application specific keyboards
  • Reply 26 of 45
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

How about more competitive pricing? I can get all of the above for about $1299 in canada. Get intouch with reality apple.

Nobody mentions a full size keyboard with number pad. How hard is that? Notebooks are replacing desktop machines. I want to be as productive as desktop pcs. The only reason we won't get it is because it offends Steve's sense of aesthetics. It's these minor yet essential things that apple has no clue.

It's not just aesthetics. It's a useability and major design issue too. To include a numbered key pad you'd have to shift the rest of the keyboard off centre, thereby limiting the space available for palm-rests. This wouldn't work on a 13" or 15" because you'd have small and cramped palm rests that would be difficult to use. Also, Apple utilises the space on either side of the keyboard for air air intake as well as speaker outputs. Where else would you put the air grill and still keep it slim and rugged???

Just buy a USB keypad!!!
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I'd be fine with a 19" macbook pro with a quad-core chip & blu-ray burner. My laptop is plugged-in 99% of the time so I'm not really worried about the battery. I'm looking for a desktop replacement. I wouldn't even mind if they had to bump up the thickness to 1.25 inches either to accommodate it.

JESUS.

Buy an iMac already, if you want a screen that big and want to pay a ton of money for an all-in-one. You'll have better bang for your buck for sure.

Or take the $3k+ that rig would cost you and just buy a Mac Pro. Massive laptops make me all
  • Reply 28 of 45
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reidconti View Post

JESUS.

Buy an iMac already, if you want a screen that big and want to pay a ton of money for an all-in-one. You'll have better bang for your buck for sure.

Or take the $3k+ that rig would cost you and just buy a Mac Pro. Massive laptops make me all

It would be kind of awkward lugging an iMac to a client's house when I do freelance jobs. And I

don't think I'm the only one who would like even more screen real estate along with the portability

that a macbook pro provides. As for the blu-ray burner, I don't mind if was an option instead of

standard or even external like the macbook air's portable superdrive.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

All I can say this should replace HDMI. Besides most new TV's should have a display port on them in the near future since it doesn't cost a fee to have one installed plus Display ports are superior to HDMI.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    13" screen

2560x1600 resolution (with Resolution Independence)

LightPeak

8GB RAM and 256GB SSD both integrated on the motherboard

Less than 1kg

Quad-core 32nm CPU with on-die GPU and northbridge

No optical drive

I admit, that's more likely to be a future MacBook Air than MacBook Pro, but it's what I want.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Since CPU and GPU improvements are a given just give me Blu-Ray and HDMI. That's all I want.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm of the opinion that a Mac needs a bigger jump than a flash boot drive. Here the thought is that we need to go to the new phase change technogies to put the primary system on. We aren't talking a huge amount of storage just enough to put the kernel and the key software needed. The trick is figuring out how much storage just the base system requires, but 10GB ought to do it.

The idea is fast boot times and an overall improvement in running system code.

Dave
  • Reply 33 of 45
    vilmirvilmir Posts: 6member
    15' 16/10 screen with at least 1680*1050 non glossy

Intel i5

6 GB of RAM

Radeon HD5870 or Geforce GTX280/285

HDD SSD 80GO or a normal 320GB in 7400RPM

Blu-ray/DVD reader

3hr battery life in normal usage

3 USB 3.0 ports

HDMI and VGA output (VGA needed for pro VP connection in data mode)

Unibody aluminium

Correct Webcam

I'd spend 1800 euros in such a machine. For now as Apple seems to struggle releasing the new Macbooks, I may just buy a pc laptop for work and mobility gaming (the new Asus G73JH) and take an iMac in 27' for personal stuffs at home
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reidconti View Post

JESUS.

If iPad takes off I can actually see a shift back to desktop machines with the iPad handling many peoples limited mobile needs. As you note a better bang for the buck. More importantly a much bigger screen which can be a huge productivity boost.

All of that aside a 19" MBP isn't totally unreasonable either. There are a number of crafts that could make use of a large screen portable. The question of course is could Apple sell them.

Quote:

A massive laptop isn't any worst than a net book. Both have limited utility for the average user. However for specific niches they can be very useful.

The thing Apple needs to keep an eye on is this potential shift back to desktops and iPad combos. You won't see signs this year but possibly next. This due to people gaining experience and saying hey I can get an overall better experience following this path instead of trying to make a laptop do double duty.

A lot of that better experience comes from the larger screen on the desktop with a much more portable device for field work. Add in a new Touch model or two to fill different size needs in October and we will see a dramatic shift in demand. After all if you don't really need that laptop or find that the new devices do a better job would you remain that attached to it?

Dave
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Your analysis is interesting and I think Jobs has forseen the same. Point is, I'm monitoring a completly different shift. In my software engineer job I see more and more people abandoning desktop machines for laptops. Works that require computing power and memory are achieved remotely on big VM servers. Sometimes people asks for a 24' monitor on their desk, but some of them aren't even, they just use their 15' pro laptop everywhere for software development, management...

My friends and family members are shifting the same way in their homes. My friend circle is engineer only, I'm the only one to have bought a desktop these 2 last years. My family is doing the same.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vilmir View Post

15' 16/10 screen with at least 1680*1050 non glossy

I suspect Apple is looking into a better solution for the reflections many seem to have trouble with on glossy screens. Traditional matte screens are not the answer as they compromise the image to much. I bring this up because of the purge of screen protectors - overlays from the Apple stores.

Quote:

Intel i5

The processor implementation depends very much upon the size of the machine in my mind. The 17" machine should have at the very least the option of an i7 with the extra threads. At the opposite end, in the 13", I'd like to see Apple go for extremely low power and very long battery life.

Quote:

6 GB of RAM

Radeon HD5870 or Geforce GTX280/285

Certainly as an option in the lowend machine but again standard in the 17" machine. In fact I'm seriously wondering if they will be able to shoehorn in two GPUs in the 17" machine.

Quote:

HDD SSD 80GO or a normal 320GB in 7400RPM

Blu-ray/DVD reader

Nope!!!!! No internal optical drive at all except for possibly the 17" model. To put it simply they waste power and space for the majority of the users out there. As to secondary storage I'm leaning to either all solid state or a hybrid approach.

In the end the solid state approach leads a lower profile machine with the potential for more storage space. Combined with faster operation and possibly lower power and you have a big win. The only reason to support a hybrid approach is the lower cost per Mega Byte.

Quote:

3hr battery life in normal usage

Why the regression in battery life? By using modern components they really ought to get better battery life. Certainly as good or better than todays MBPs which do better than three hours.

Quote:

3 USB 3.0 ports

HDMI and VGA output (VGA needed for pro VP connection in data mode)

Unibody aluminium

Correct Webcam

For many of us web cams are about as useful as those opitical drives. In the end they are an unneeded power draw.

Quote:

I'd spend 1800 euros in such a machine. For now as Apple seems to struggle releasing the new Macbooks,

I really wish I knew where in hell all this negative energy comes from. There is no sign at all that Apple is struggling. The reality is very different and if you look at history easy to understand. Long product cycles at Apple are often an indication of a major product overhaul. Considering the potential here this is a very good thing.

Quote:

I may just buy a pc laptop for work and mobility gaming (the new Asus G73JH) and take an iMac in 27' for personal stuffs at home

Hey whatever works for you. Just don't come crying if the new MBPs come out with some impressive technology.

Dave
  • Reply 37 of 45
    At least in my mind it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vilmir View Post

Your analysis is interesting and I think Jobs has forseen the same. Point is, I'm monitoring a completly different shift. In my software engineer job I see more and more people abandoning desktop machines for laptops.

Yes that is very true today. It does not however mean that the crowd has chossen the best path for the future. Even today I could argue that part of the move to laptops is all about status. It certainly isn't about productivity.

Quote:

Works that require computing power and memory are achieved remotely on big VM servers.

I haven't seen a wholesale move in this direction. However if the trend is happening else where it just reinforces the idea that iPad like devices may be useful to many in the field.

Quote:

Sometimes people asks for a 24' monitor on their desk, but some of them aren't even, they just use their 15' pro laptop everywhere for software development, management...

Many do around here too. However I'm pretty much convinced that porthole sized laptop screens aren't conducive to growing productivity. Maybe it is OK for management but I'm not so convince for engineering, design or even programming.

Unfortunately what seems to be the mentality is that people simply say screw it, if the company can't do any better than this I'm not going to try any harder. I've seen this first hand when IT policies become so negative that they actually pull the whole corporation down.

Quote:

My friends and family members are shifting the same way in their homes. My friend circle is engineer only, I'm the only one to have bought a desktop these 2 last years. My family is doing the same.

I don't disagree with that as I've seen the same thing, that is why I don't think you will see a measurable shift in sales back to desktops this year. I've pretty much have done the same with a purchase of a MBP early in 2008. Some time after that I picked up an iPhone 3G. The reality is that that iPhone greatly reduced my need for a portable. Sure it is to small for many tasks and compromised for others but still portability wins out. It also demonstrates clearly just what features really are important in a portable device. I see iPad slipping into a niche that is partway between an iPhone and a laptop.

The other problem that I see is that desktop machines are going to become far more powerful than laptops in the near future. For us engineering types that will be hard to resist. It is the combination of many core CPUs and very powerful GPUs that will make it difficult for laptops to maintain near parity performance levels. Of course this depends upon where the engineer values things but cost and performance are still important to many.

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 45
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJNY View Post

A solution

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-duo
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I suspect Apple is looking into a better solution for the reflections many seem to have trouble with on glossy screens. Traditional matte screens are not the answer as they compromise the image to much. I bring this up because of the purge of screen protectors - overlays from the Apple stores.

The processor implementation depends very much upon the size of the machine in my mind. The 17" machine should have at the very least the option of an i7 with the extra threads. At the opposite end, in the 13", I'd like to see Apple go for extremely low power and very long battery life.

Apple makes 3 13" notebooks. There's no reason why the Air can't have CULV processors with an all day battery, the Macbook and Pro can't use i5s and i7s. We've already established that it's possible, for a price.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    My dream MBP is one that actually comes out on its own schedule...not a schedule forced upon it by the intro of another product that is apples and oranges.

I know...I know...none of us really know why the MBP seems to be taking its sweet time coming out. It could be any number of things blah blah blah, but I believe it is seemingly delayed because of the imminent iPad-on-sale date. Bring out that stupid thing already so users can get the new MBP.