Apple's Steve Jobs named world's most valuable CEO

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Most valuable? Arguably. They did fine without him when he was on his absence. It is obvious that he won't live forever like Richard Alpert, so I am confident that Apple will do well with most of the executive staff it has now.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I don't want a CEO of anything to be relatable to the common person. I want them to be an elitist prick that has confidence that they can get things done because they are they smarter than most of us.

Sounds like most of the physicians I know. Full disclosure......I am one also.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Cool your political commentary. You've been informed where you can push your agenda on this forum. There aren't many rules here, but that is one of them.

I wonder if posters making postings like this would also have thrown out 'The Sons of Liberty' while gathered in a Pub up in Boston back in 1775 because they were talking political smack of where King George was taking the country?

Cheers, I think was the name of the Pub! But the pub was not THE place where one "can push your agenda"...

Now, those nipping at the heels of those who are passionate in their political beliefs and about where their country is heading, I wonder if they had any problem with political commentary made of the other side just a few short years ago, be it here on AI or elsewhere and I'm not talking just Mac? Believe me there was plenty of commentary and most of it 'snide'! I wonder if their stance was equally filled with the same bravado?

So one of the rules(?) is stifling speech! I've heard that somewhere before, oh yeah... The Audacity of Barack

At the end of the clip, Barack asks Virginia if he's wrong... according to the recent Governor's election, Virginia has answered that question.

AI is not the place for politics... It is EXACTLY the place. And so is the library and the grocery store, and the public school and the church and the ball park and the pub and the... If you fail to speak up each and every time when you have the chance, you only have yourself to blame when you no longer have that chance! \

Now before I get seriously flamed for being off topic...

Steve, about Apple, you done good!
  • Reply 64 of 88
    mobycatmobycat Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Same place I checked and found nothing after 2004. Looks like his wife has been handling political contributions since then.

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/se...&submit=Submit

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.php

Do a search for last name Jobs in the state of California with zip code 95014 (and tick the "search all cycles" box). Pops up right there.
  • Reply 65 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Personally, I don't want a CEO of anything to be relatable to the common person. I want them to be an elitist prick that has confidence that they can get things done because they are they smarter than most of us.

Then half of AI is populated by CEOs.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So one of the rules(?) is stifling speech! I've heard that somewhere before, oh yeah... The Audacity of Barack

AI is not the place for politics... It is EXACTLY the place. And so is the library and the grocery store, and the public school and the church and the ball park and the pub and the... If you fail to speak up each and every time when you have the chance, you only have yourself to blame when you no longer have that chance! \

AI POSTING RULES;

"AppleInsider Rules

Although the administrators and moderators of AppleInsider will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of AppleInsider, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any

reason."

Says nothing about voicing political view points, however, the comments were unsolicited and had nothing to do with the topic. If every member chose to interject political, religious view points, etc. into each comment, most readers would leave this site in a flash because the read would be too lengthy. We have enough to contend with trolls that visit this site.

solipsism pointed out that a thread would be opened on the political side of AI; even posted the link. SpotOn has not yet accepted the offer to contribute his/her views in that thread. The link is http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=108143
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

Take that, Eric Schmidt.

Or, "The coffee's on me next time, Eric!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

NeXT lives on in OSX.

Indeed, it does, and it's flourishing.

Quote:

Man that Now pic is awful on so many levels. Has it been doctored at all because he's one step from looking like Lord Voldemort there.

Let's hope that he keeps the nose!

One could comment that the "world's most valuable CEO" has a "world's most valuable liver" to thank for the honour. (And no, I don't think Steve could give one flying monkey-whoop about these "distinctions" or what the press writes about him in general. He has better things with which to concern himself [new Macs, cough, cough...] )

I think that another 1,000 people just like Steve Jobs would be too many -- but I figure that about another 50-100 could help a number of other companies. (Microsoft definitely would benefit from a visionary of his stature, but they never really had one in the first place, so they probably wouldn't know the difference now. And who can possibly follow in the hoppin' shoes of Dancin' Ballmer?)
  • Reply 68 of 88
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobycat View Post

http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/index.php

Do a search for last name Jobs in the state of California with zip code 95014 (and tick the "search all cycles" box). Pops up right there.

Interesting. My search was almost identical but turned up a whole bunch of stuff, except for this one -- and your search turns up just the one.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    We started buying Apple stock in the 80s. Got to 311

shares. Stock split twice. Now it's a good retirement nest egg.

Saw Jobs @ MacWorld twice. Walked out of keynotes with an

overwhelming desire to buy. Bought iPods, bought iPhones.

Saw the iPad release speech. Bought iPad. We've owned Macs

since 1984. The guy is good & deserves his kudos.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Kudos to Mr Jobs
  • Reply 71 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

solipsism pointed out that a thread would be opened on the political side of AI; even posted the link. SpotOn has not yet accepted the offer to contribute his/her views in that thread. The link is http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=108143

I was trying to keep the thread from derailing, but anyone can start a new topic in that section as they see fit. It's what's it's for.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

I was trying to keep the thread from derailing, but anyone can start a new topic in that section as they see fit. It's what's it's for.

We can only try--good job anyway.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

they did fine without him when he was on his absence.

1985-1996?
  • Reply 74 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoC View Post

Yes Palm is gone because:

1. Limited capital to enable a 'next breakthrough' (they attempted a 'next copy' which is not good enough.

2. No Jonathan Ives type designer on board

3. No wide-scope CEO to have 'future vision'

4. Competitors on all sides, iPhone at the high end, Moto/Samsung/Nokia on low priced models, etc.

I agree on all points. It's interesting that I'm looking forward to my iPad with the same sense of anticipation that I looked forward to getting my Palm III so many years ago. Times sure have changed.\
  • Reply 75 of 88
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I think you are thinking of the uninventive Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer. If it was Steve Jobs we'd be driving and flying the cars and planes we see in Popular Science as cars and planes of the future.

It was more a poke at the mbp refresh delay, nothing else

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

Do your friends think you're a funny guy? If so, get new friends, cause they're lying to you.

funny how? funny like a clown? Funny like I'm here to amuse you?
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

1985-1996?

Touché.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

I agree on all points. It's interesting that I'm looking forward to my iPad with the same sense of anticipation that I looked forward to getting my Palm III so many years ago. Times sure have changed.\

I believe this has been said about Apple before.

A bit arrogant considering Apple's past (considred dead) and Steve Jobs health (huge drop in stock, before you comment look it up in the article this posting is about).

The iPad (worse name ever in a product IMO) better be a home run because if Apple releases this Years iPhone with 3.2 OS they better hope Steve Jobs BS can explain the lack of innovation.

Quit with with KILL everything non Apple comments, please. It makes you look like you live in your racer car bed or your parent's basement. There is plenty of room, and stock growth for all the players.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Kudos to Steve... keep making great products!
  • Reply 79 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I believe this has been said about Apple before.

A bit arrogant considering Apple's past (considred dead) and Steve Jobs health (huge drop in stock, before you comment look it up in the article this posting is about).

The iPad (worse name ever in a product IMO) better be a home run because if Apple releases this Years iPhone with 3.2 OS they better hope Steve Jobs BS can explain the lack of innovation.

Quit with with KILL everything non Apple comments, please. It makes you look like you live in your racer car bed or your parent's basement. There is plenty of room, and stock growth for all the players.

1) Unless you're not quoting the correct poster I'm not sure what comment from Brometheus "has been said about Apple before".

2) Again, not sure what part of his post is arrogant.

3) Apple was never considered dead by anyone with half a brain. Dying or near death sure, as they were down to a $5B valuation and losing money each quarter, but not dead, especially after purchase of NeXT and hiring of Jobs as interim CEO, even though they still had the same profit issues.

4) Show me one iota of proof that that Apple's stock dropped because of Jobs health. The fact is the market dropped all over the world and Apple's stock went up considerably AFTER he went on sick leave, but that was because the market went up, though I'm you would have flip-flopped and said "See, the stockholders want Jobs out." had I not just ruined it for you.

5) Apple's low point, just based on valuation was 10x the valuation of Palm, and Palm has a lot less going for it as it has recently dropped a fatigued mobile OS, adopted a new one, been pumped with cash by venture capitalist and truly is getting toward the point where they'll have to Chapter 11. I think Nokia should Palm, partly for the overall IP, partly for WebOS as a competitive mobile platform and partly for the brand recognition for the US market.

6) I'm not a fan of the iPad name, but that means nothing once it gains it's own definition. Just look at the iPod and iBook and MacBook and MacBook Pro and iTunes et al.

7) I'm not sure why you think that Apple will release the NEXT iPhone with v3.2. There is no precedence for that and there is little reason to think the current iPhone will get v3.2 as it's clearly designed for the iPad. I'd say that Apple calling the clearly differentiated iPad OS version 3.2 and only released frameworks and changes specifically needed for the device means that they don't want to reveal v4.0 before they are ready, which means the next iPhone will have v4.0, though at this point released after the typical late-June/early-July timeframe.

8) Again, what part of his point was saying that everything non-Apple needs to be killed?

9) Race car beds are awesome!
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:

1) 9) Race car beds are awesome!

Once again a 9 page comment for what could have easily been said in your last comment.

Sleepy tight in your racer car bed! You are a great mind that is in need of either telling Quadra to get his own basement or get new fans.

I much prefer TechStud over your trivial comments. quoting Wiki.

Edit...

I do love your French words used in your postings. It's great that Google translates now because your posting would just seem like you are looking them up on the Internet.