So, its just shy of OGL3.0 compliant.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Could you elaborate?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What do you mean REMAINS broken? Preview is one feature I rely on and use on an hourly basis and I have never found it to be lacking. Pray tell.

Sure, I've mentioned this several times before.

The search function in Leopard Preview was fast and accurate. The search function in Snow Leopard Preview is very, very slow and inaccurate. I estimate that it takes roughly ten times longer to search a PDF in Snow Leopard, and it still misses words that are found in Leopard Preview, and even more frustratingly, are found by Spotlight, so you know they're in the document. If you search a lot of big PDFs in Preview (as I do) you'll find that it builds up an index file which can grow quickly to many gigabytes, and when it does, makes the search process even slower. The only solution is to trash it when it gets completely awful. Then it goes back to just being really bad.

Apple also deleted the previously very useful feature in Leopard that automatically highlighted words in PDFs that you'd searched for in Spotlight. Now the search has to be started manually in Preview. Then you wait, wait, wait -- and still Preview doesn't always find the word.

I don't know what Apple was trying to accomplish in Snow Leopard Preview, but they took something really nice and functional and turned it into a world of hurt.
  • Reply 43 of 172
    funkdisfunkdis Posts: 41member
    does this update force you to install itunes 9.0.3?
  • Reply 44 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

So, its just shy of OGL3.0 compliant.

Any bets on the OpenGL aspects Apple will improve upon in 10.6.4?
  • Reply 45 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Once we see what happens with Valve and Steam for Mac, in addition to most Source Engine games having a good potential for ending up on the Mac (and if rumor becomes truth, some DICE games (like Battlefield Bad Company 2), OpenGL and gaming may get far better treatment from Apple than it did in the past.
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I wiped the HD and did a clean install so there should be no need to create any new accounts or delete any preference files. They should all be clean and new right?

Just simply install the OS and reinstall all your Apple programs. Everything will work perfectly.
  • Reply 47 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know what Apple was trying to accomplish in Snow Leopard Preview, but they took something really nice and functional and turned it into a world of hurt.

Don't worry, they always fix this stuff. Once they do, it well be better than anyone could even imagine!
  • Reply 48 of 172
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

SNIP

Date and Time fixes provided for:

Daylight Saving Time rules to reflect recent changes in areas including Argentina, Fiji, Pakistan, and Antarctica.

SNIP

I wonder how many users are affected by problems with daylight savings settings in antarctica?
  • Reply 49 of 172
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Stop downloading the update!

Mine takes too long ...

ROFL best one all day!
  • Reply 50 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Hope it fixes my machine or I have to downgrade to plain old Leopard. Don't want to but my iLife apps and dictionary keep quitting unexpectedly. Also downloads folder keeps vanishing from dock, date in iCal icon in dock is always a day behind, can't email a picture and then empty the trash without closing mail first. Several other little bugs.

Hope it works.

Well I hope it works too. In your case though I have to wonder if you have other issues as Snow Leopard was a big step forward for me. Networking became much more reliable on SL and many otherthings just seemed to work much better.

That isn't to say SL doesn't have problems just that I've found it to in general be a big improvement over Leopard.
  • Reply 51 of 172
    nyteskynytesky Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Hope it fixes my machine or I have to downgrade to plain old Leopard. Don't want to but my iLife apps and dictionary keep quitting unexpectedly. Also downloads folder keeps vanishing from dock, date in iCal icon in dock is always a day behind, can't email a picture and then empty the trash without closing mail first. Several other little bugs.

Wow! You have issues... Other than the weird iCal icon showing the wrong date (only when it isn't running), SL hasn't given me any of those problems on my Mac mini or my MacBook Air. Maybe you should take it to an Apple Store. Those really don't seem like normal issues...
  • Reply 52 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The symptoms I have are all over the internet forums. I would expect everyone at the AI forum to tell me they have never heard of such problems because I suspect that admitting you have a computer problem is like asking for directions at a gas station. I'm not lost honey! It's a shortcut!

Stop being such an ass, people respond the way they do because they don't have the issues you describe. There could be many reasons for that, but shutting off communications by rejecting the comments of others will do nothing for you.

Quote:

I wiped the HD and did a clean install so there should be no need to create any new accounts or delete any preference files. They should all be clean and new right?

Yes they should be!

Quote:

I have to go to work now so I will play with my Mac later. All I can say is that before upgrading I never had any issues, so I think hardware issues are unlikely. With plain Leopard everything worked perfectly. Gosh, now I sound like an AI forum poster!

Sadly I also have to go to work soon. I'm not sure if I will get the update installed before then. Still I have to believe your opinion of Leopard is misplaced as I had serious problems with that release, all of which where fixed in SL. As far as things like dictionary crashing that has not happened to me. More importantly why would you get worked up over a dictionary crash here and there?

Quote:

Thanks for your good wishes.

All I can say is best of luck with this update! If afterwards you still have problems post info with specifics so we will know your problems when we see them. Also it looks like Apple is adding more reporting tools to Snow Leopard so it may pay to run the update to give Apple some debugging info.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 172
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Not only Macs but iPads, AppleTVs, and Magic Mouse- ANYTHING by Apple justs works!

Except when it doesn't.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I wonder how many users are affected by problems with daylight savings settings in antarctica?

It was so bad that the penguins were about to switch to Windows 7.
  • Reply 55 of 172
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knunez View Post

for some reason my update is 757MB. Maybe I have more updates? It's weird. Here's a link to the screenshot: http://bit.ly/cAPu2n

Perhaps, but so remember that the OS updates from software update are tailored for your machine.

Quote:

Fingers crossed. I hope so and that they're actually taking OpenGL seriously now.
  • Reply 56 of 172
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

QT X likely uses Grand Central and we all know splitting up a small job to many cores is actually slower than doing it on one core.

Likely the time savings come into play with bigger files.

Ha ha! I don't know if you meant that to be funny, but that is a good one! Grand central does suck.
  • Reply 57 of 172
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    New.......MacBook........Pros..........waiting.... .....forever.........

<collapses>
  • Reply 58 of 172
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

I'm not. I've been using both QT7 and QTX with SL since QTX was first released in the Betas. I have never had it take 30x as long as since SL was officially released QTX has been faster for encoding than QT7 ever was or could be due to HW acceleration. I use QTX often, nearly daily, for cropping video and only use QT7 now if I need to quickly join a few.

What are the specs of your system? Perhaps you are re-encoding with QTX but only changing out the container for .MOV in QT7 when saving.. That would explain the variance.

I just did a Save As QucikTime Movie in both versions with a 250MB 1080p music video. It took me 19secs in QT7 and 15secs in QTX. That is just for a container change from MP4 to MOV while keeping the same codecs.

I'll get the specifics for you tonight when I'm at my machine, but I'm talking about simply choosing "save as" from the File menu once a 1080p QuickTime has finished loading via a .qtl wrapper from Yahoo Movies or Apple dot com. I'm on a first-generation Unibody Macbook Pro; I'll include stopwatch times tonight, before and after the update.
  • Reply 59 of 172
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sure, I've mentioned this several times before.

The search function in Leopard Preview was fast and accurate. The search function in Snow Leopard Preview is very, very slow and inaccurate. I estimate that it takes roughly ten times longer to search a PDF in Snow Leopard, and it still misses words that are found in Leopard Preview, and even more frustratingly, are found by Spotlight, so you know they're in the document. If you search a lot of big PDFs in Preview (as I do) you'll find that it builds up an index file which can grow quickly to many gigabytes, and when it does, makes the search process even slower. The only solution is to trash it when it gets completely awful. Then it goes back to just being really bad.

Apple also deleted the previously very useful feature in Leopard that automatically highlighted words in PDFs that you'd searched for in Spotlight. Now the search has to be started manually in Preview. Then you wait, wait, wait -- and still Preview doesn't always find the word.

Mine is working beautifully. Virtually instantaneous and perfect.
  • Reply 60 of 172
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:

Hope it works.

Definitely not normal issues, an update isn't going to fix that. I'd highly recommend creating a new account that is an admin, run disk utility & permissions repair from that account, download & install latest combo update, then make sure that if you have the date & time sync settings set that it is determining the correct location for you.

All those issues you describe are not typical except I also have noticed that you can't empty try without closing e-mail if you have sent a picture to someone. Hopefully that is fixed with this update.