iTunes 9.1 rumored to debut with iPad, add e-book support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An incremental update to Apple's iTunes desktop media application is rumored to coincide with Saturday's iPad launch, bringing support for e-books as well as improved "Genius" mixes and automatic bitrate conversion for audio files.

Citing an anonymous source, MacRumors on Monday reported that iTunes 9.1 will replace the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will be able to sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The source also reportedly said that iTunes 9.1 will improve the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.

The update will also reportedly offer a number of other changes, including the ability to automatically convert songs to 128 Kbps AAC format when syncing to devices. That feature is currently only available for the iPod shuffle, but will be expanded to all devices.

Other minor tweaks reportedly include tweaked summary panes, which will see the "Check for Update" and "Restore" buttons moved to the left side of the pane.

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An incremental update to Apple's iTunes desktop media application is rumored to coincide with Saturday's iPad launch, bringing support for e-books as well as improved "Genius" mixes and automatic bitrate conversion for audio files.

Citing an anonymous source, MacRumors on Monday reported that iTunes 9.1 will replace the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will be able to sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The source also reportedly said that iTunes 9.1 will improve the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.

The update will also reportedly offer a number of other changes, including the ability to automatically convert songs to 128 Kbps AAC format when syncing to devices. That feature is currently only available for the iPod shuffle, but will be expanded to all devices.

Other minor tweaks reportedly include tweaked summary panes, which will see the "Check for Update" and "Restore" buttons moved to the left side of the pane.

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.

Wow!!!!111

iTunes just keeps getting better and better!!!!11111111\\\\

It is the best media player that there is, and the best way to do just about everything with the iStuff.

Keep up the good work, Steve!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Less bloat, more snappiness.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

iTunes just keeps getting better and better!!!!

How is obfuscating the difference between an Audio Book and a digital copy of a print edition even vaguely in the vein of "getting better and better" ? That just makes it even harder to find the content you were looking for.

Just like when Apple decided to arbitrarily include music videos in the Music category and it became a whole lot more difficult to find them when before it was a simple thing to go to videos and select "Music Videos" and be done.

Quote:

It is the best media player that there is, and the best way to do just about everything with the iStuff.

That is just a sad commentary on the state of media players. iTunes still really sucks at handling multiple artists (WMP has handled this quite well for years). It still hides simple things about TV shows (Why can't I see the freaking episode number? Why CAN I see the useless Episode ID?) And as others have attested, it's become bloated as Apple has tried to shovel more and more crap into it. It is easily one of the worst performing applications on my iMac and very crash prone (even though it doesn't use Flash).
  • Reply 4 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Less bloat, more snappiness.

Are you talking about the first poster?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Really... eBook support in iTunes... Who Would Have Guessed?
  • Reply 6 of 39
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Well it is a logical progression to include this other form of media. By my reckoning that just leaves audio drama to come, by which time all bases will be covered.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really... eBook support in iTunes... Who Would Have Guessed?

I want iTunes to go back to being iTunes.

Apple should bring a new app, say call it iSync, dedicated to syncing iPhone OS devices. Similar interface, just not meant to be iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

How is obfuscating the difference between an Audio Book and a digital copy of a print edition even vaguely in the vein of "getting better and better" ? That just makes it even harder to find the content you were looking for.

Just like when Apple decided to arbitrarily include music videos in the Music category and it became a whole lot more difficult to find them when before it was a simple thing to go to videos and select "Music Videos" and be done.

That is just a sad commentary on the state of media players. iTunes still really sucks at handling multiple artists (WMP has handled this quite well for years). It still hides simple things about TV shows (Why can't I see the freaking episode number? Why CAN I see the useless Episode ID?) And as others have attested, it's become bloated as Apple has tried to shovel more and more crap into it. It is easily one of the worst performing applications on my iMac and very crash prone (even though it doesn't use Flash).

This is too funny. AppleRulez is the new user id of an anti-Apple troll who was banned for deliberately antagonizing Apple fans on this board. He liked to belittle people in an attempt to convince himself that he had a somehow superior intellect. Now he is back, posing as a mindless fanboy, in his continued attempt to communicate that he thinks he is superior to those he mocks. The irony is that he got such a rise out of someone who probably hates Apple and its fans as much as he does.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

That is just a sad commentary on the state of media players.

And one of the most unintuitive user interfaces of all time. And people say Adobe's unconventional UI is non conforming to Apple standards. Thank God. FCP is also a nightmare UI.

Cracks me up the "What we're listening to" link. Is that just total BS or what?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm starting to think that they should change the name of the app because it hasn't been just a music player for a while now. iMedia maybe?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm starting to think that they should change the name of the app because it hasn't been just a music player for a while now. iMedia maybe?

Apple knows best and iTunes is the name they gave it and everybody knows it so it must be the best.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Apple knows best and iTunes is the name they gave it and everybody knows it so it must be the best.

tickturd, trying the same approach
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The irony is that he got such a rise out of someone who probably hates Apple and its fans as much as he does.

I neither hate Apple nor its fans. It's the seemingly mindless drones whose only line of thinking is "Apple rulz, everything else sux" that I have issues with. After switching to a Mac over 3 years, I have to say I'm less impressed with the results but I do sorely miss my 5th Gen iPod that died some time ago (RIP my Princess-skinned friend).
  • Reply 14 of 39
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

...It is easily one of the worst performing applications on my iMac and very crash prone (even though it doesn't use Flash).

iTunes on my iMac (late '08 2.4Ghz Core2Duo w/4GB RAM) performs quite well. My library includes over 16,000 songs, about 40 music videos, and about 25 movies and iTunes almost never crashes. Heck, Final Cut 7 crashes more than iTunes does and I've got about as clean of an install (of FC7) as you can get.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) That is iGenius going to the opposite end of the trolling spectrum. Teckstud as Mr. Koolaid has followed his trollish lead.

2) I'm so thrilled about the universal "Books" heading, but we'll see. I've never been a fan of the iTMS/iTS Yahoo-like approach to media advertising. Much easier to peruse and buy on my iPhone.

3) Overall, I like iTunes, but it does lags, the video player is inferior to QT7 or QTX and doesn't work the same way, which is annoying.

4) I also wish they'd find a better way to make use of the organizational method for content since they want you to use it for all media. For instance, they let you store DivX, Ogg, or whatever codec you wish, so long as it's encapsulated in the MOV container. It'll also play in iTunes, providing you have the codec for it for QT. This takes only take a few seconds in QT to perform but it's still an unnecessary step IMO. Note, these still won't load on iDevices or AppleTV.

5) Because of #3, I'f like the option to change the way files open in iTunes. When I double-click a file I'd like it to open in QTX because it works better than the iTunes player. If they allowed that they I would use iTunes for video storage.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

I neither hate Apple nor its fans. It's the seemingly mindless drones whose only line of thinking is "Apple rulz, everything else sux" that I have issues with. After switching to a Mac over 3 years, I have to say I'm less impressed with the results but I do sorely miss my 5th Gen iPod that died some time ago (RIP my Princess-skinned friend).

So do you have issues when the mindless drone in question is really an anti-Apple troll creating a caricature of Apple fans as being less intelligent? Can you not see through his posing?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I'd like to have the option of 128 AND 256 for automatic syncing with my iPhone/touch.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) That is iGenius going to the opposite end of the trolling spectrum. Teckstud as Mr. Koolaid has followed his trollish lead.

2) I'm so thrilled about the universal "Books" heading, but we'll see. I've never been a fan of the iTMS/iTS Yahoo-like approach to media advertising. Much easier to peruse and buy on my iPhone.

3) Overall, I like iTunes, but it does lags, the video player is inferior to QT7 or QTX and doesn't work the same way, which is annoying.

4) I also wish they'd find a better way to make use of the organizational method for content since they want you to use it for all media. For instance, they let you store DivX, Ogg, or whatever codec you wish, so long as it's encapsulated in the MOV container. It'll also play in iTunes, providing you have the codec for it for QT. This takes only take a few seconds in QT to perform but it's still an unnecessary step IMO. Note, these still won't load on iDevices or AppleTV.

5) Because of #3, I'f like the option to change the way files open in iTunes. When I double-click a file I'd like it to open in QTX because it works better than the iTunes player. If they allowed that they I would use iTunes for video storage.

Good points. Apple is stuck with iTunes being the center of everything iPod, iPhone, and iPad since they need one software that works for both Mac and Windows.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

I'd like to have the option of 128 AND 256 for automatic syncing with my iPhone/touch.

Agreed, I import everything in 320k VBR AAC and it eats up the space on my Nano and iPhone very quickly. Even a 192k bitrate wouldn't be bad in place of the 128.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Also, I'd like imported audio and video to be intelligent enough in this year of 2010 to have a pretty good idea of what category it belongs in.

For instance, a video with length under 10 minutes is likely a music video. One between 20 and 65 minutes is a TV Show.After that it's likely a Movie.

Less easy, but still possible to parse is Audio. Anything with excessive times, especially low bitrates is likely an Audiobook. Podcasts and Genres are obviously harder, but it would be nice if it could at least try to figure some of this stuff out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

That seems like a decent request. Perhaps there will be a PLIST file (or use Secrets [download]) which will allow you to slter the bitrate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Good points. Apple is stuck with iTunes being the center of everything iPod, iPhone, and iPad since they need one software that works for both Mac and Windows.

Hopefully iTunes X, which I assume will arrive around September with the iPod/iTunes Special Event, and will be 64-bit and 100% Cocoa will offer a lot of these changes.