Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 61 of 172
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Not only Macs but iPads, AppleTVs, and Magic Mouse- ANYTHING by Apple justs works!

Techstud, what part of being BANNED eludes you? G.O. A.W.A.Y. and troll somewhere else.
  • Reply 62 of 172
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Techstud, what part of being BANNED eludes you? G.O. A.W.A.Y. and troll somewhere else.

I'm going to have to ask you to leave mr. ballmer alone.
  • Reply 63 of 172
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Apple - when will you PUT BACK the ability to "search multiple/specific Drives" ?

You know - like we were able to do in 10.4 - search Drives A and C, but not Drive B, dig ?

Apple - why did you take away a "feature" ?

When will it return ?

BC
  • Reply 64 of 172
    It seems Snow Leopard starts to be ready for release. Oh wait....
  • Reply 65 of 172
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Apple - when will you PUT BACK the ability to "search multiple/specific Drives" ?

You know - like we were able to do in 10.4 - search Drives A and C, but not Drive B, dig ?

Apple - why did you take away a "feature" ?

When will it return ?

BC

Except this site is not Apple. IF you really want Apple to hear you, why don't you post a bug/feature request at

http://bugreport.apple.com
  • Reply 66 of 172
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The symptoms I have are all over the internet forums. I would expect everyone at the AI forum to tell me they have never heard of such problems because I suspect that admitting you have a computer problem is like asking for directions at a gas station. I'm not lost honey! It's a shortcut!

I wiped the HD and did a clean install so there should be no need to create any new accounts or delete any preference files. They should all be clean and new right?

I have to go to work now so I will play with my Mac later. All I can say is that before upgrading I never had any issues, so I think hardware issues are unlikely. With plain Leopard everything worked perfectly. Gosh, now I sound like an AI forum poster!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Crap! He's found us out...

All right! Yes! I admit it. We all have this problem. We just don't want to admit it. Well I'm breaking out here. (even though my life will now be at risk) I am saying it anyway; WE ALL HAVE YOUR PROBLEM.

(wow that feels good to confess)
  • Reply 67 of 172
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus View Post

That's really interesting. I was sure my 8600M GT needed a driver update to take advantage of anything more than 2.1 because I kept failing the 3.1 test so I thought the extensions were there but just couldn't be used. I guess the driver was included in the update.

So we should take this all to mean that OpenGL 3.0 didn't QUITE make it in, huh?

C
  • Reply 68 of 172
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Hope it fixes my machine or I have to downgrade to plain old Leopard. Don't want to but my iLife apps and dictionary keep quitting unexpectedly. Also downloads folder keeps vanishing from dock, date in iCal icon in dock is always a day behind, can't email a picture and then empty the trash without closing mail first. Several other little bugs.

Hope it works.

Funny. I've experienced all these issues too. I'm not prepared to ditch Snow Leopard because of them though. I think that's mainly because they can easily remedied (eg; removing iCal from the Dock then replacing it makes it display the correct date). The annoying thing is they'll creep back again and again. Very annoying. Hope it's fixed with this update.
  • Reply 69 of 172
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Update went fine.

One thing, though: the Colour profile for OS X was reset. I can't remember what I had it on - ColorMatch or Generic RGB or Adobe RGB 1998.

Which profile is best (or intended) for Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 70 of 172
    Has anyone heard about any updates unlocking the 64bit kernel for most machines. I have an imac 7,1 that has 64bit efi and cpu and snow leopard always boots 32bit kernel and can't be forced into 64bits. I heard the next couple updates would unlock them once new 64bit drivers became available. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their system to boot in full 64bits after this update?
  • Reply 71 of 172
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tofino View Post

i wonder how many users are affected by problems with daylight savings settings in antarctica?

c
  • Reply 72 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spookmag View Post

Has anyone heard about any updates unlocking the 64bit kernel for most machines. I have an imac 7,1 that has 64bit efi and cpu and snow leopard always boots 32bit kernel and can't be forced into 64bits. I heard the next couple updates would unlock them once new 64bit drivers became available. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their system to boot in full 64bits after this update?

Have you tried this?

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html
  • Reply 73 of 172
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, JerseyMac, you might want to bust open the Console.app and see what is actually causing the crashes.
  • Reply 74 of 172
    Yes I have tried every hack or app there is. This app says that my system is 100% able to run 64bit kernel but is currently locked by apple to boot into 32bit mode. right now there are only eight model number macs that will boot into 64bit kernel. Supposedly they are going to unlock more of them via software updates. the next OS won't be 32bit at all so they better get to it otherwise my computer which is only 3 years old will not run 10.7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Have you tried this?

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html

• Reply 75 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    No new driver models listed in the update like the ATI 5000 series but there are references to Fermi. That could mean the upcoming Mac Pro update will have a BTO option for the latest Fermi GT300, which can actually run C++ code and has 512 CUDA/OpenCL cores. That would be a nice machine having a GT300 paired with a 12-core Xeon. Expensive but nice.

There are references to dynamic and glitchless graphics switching in the GPU power management drivers too. Looks like it points to the MacbookPro5 series - the unibody with the 9600M GT + 9400M. Does this still require a logout? Could also refer to NVidia Optimus powering down the external to jump to the internal integrated GPU.

There's an update to the filesystem drivers too and there are write commands in the NTFS one. Are NTFS volumes still read-only?

Certainly no hint of a MBP release tomorrow. Given that the iPad is out on Saturday, next week would probably be a better time to introduce a MBP update.
  • Reply 76 of 172
    orion99orion99 Posts: 11member
    Here's an overview of the new Data Collection feature.

- It is opt in, reports are not submitted to Apple without your consent

- Data Collection can be configured in Console utility

- Apple is collecting information about your OS version, Apple and third-party application versions, and hardware
  • Reply 77 of 172
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    im seeing big improvements to Safari and QuickTime, very nice..
  • Reply 78 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion99 View Post

Here's an overview of the new Data Collection feature.

- It is opt in, reports are not submitted to Apple without your consent

- Data Collection can be configured in Console utility

- Apple is collecting information about your OS version, Apple and third-party application versions, and hardware

Aha! Thank you.

Just to add a bit . . .

TO OPT OUT:

Open the Console. Go into Console Preferences.

Then uncheck "Automatically send diagnostic and date usage . . ."

(Nice catch, orion.)
  • Reply 79 of 172
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

New.......MacBook........Pros..........waiting.... .....forever.........

<collapses>

I know Apple never does anything typical, but typically the company announces updates to its hardware products on Tuesdays.
  • Reply 80 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Mine is working beautifully. Virtually instantaneous and perfect.

Probably because you don't search very large PDF files. Even with smaller ones you can tell the difference if you actually compare.