Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

but what about the Macbook Pro updates!?!1!

What do you mean? I've never seen an IS release that wasn't for all machines

Are you saying MacBook Pro users can't update to 10.6.3????
  • Reply 82 of 172
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sure, I've mentioned this several times before.

The search function in Leopard Preview was fast and accurate. The search function in Snow Leopard Preview is very, very slow and inaccurate. I estimate that it takes roughly ten times longer to search a PDF in Snow Leopard, and it still misses words that are found in Leopard Preview, and even more frustratingly, are found by Spotlight, so you know they're in the document. If you search a lot of big PDFs in Preview (as I do) you'll find that it builds up an index file which can grow quickly to many gigabytes, and when it does, makes the search process even slower. The only solution is to trash it when it gets completely awful. Then it goes back to just being really bad.

Apple also deleted the previously very useful feature in Leopard that automatically highlighted words in PDFs that you'd searched for in Spotlight. Now the search has to be started manually in Preview. Then you wait, wait, wait -- and still Preview doesn't always find the word.

I don't know what Apple was trying to accomplish in Snow Leopard Preview, but they took something really nice and functional and turned it into a world of hurt.

I rely on the highlighted words so no update for me if that's true.

Logic still more stable on regular Leopard. With SL, I get at least one crash per day.
  • Reply 83 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

He's referring to the HW updates for the MBP. Arrandale has been out since January 7th and this is past the typical pro Mac notebook age, according to the MacRumors Buyers Guide. Many of us have been waiting for new MBPs since the beginning of the year.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I rely on the highlighted words so no update for me if that's true.

Logic still more stable on regular Leopard. With SL, I get at least one crash per day.

You can still get the highlighted words, it's just not automatic as it used to be, and takes far longer to complete the search. The only reason I can imagine why Apple deleted the automatic feature was because the search in Preview is now so glacial that it would have bogged matters down too much. I've kept one of our iMacs with Leopard for just this reason.
  • Reply 85 of 172
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Funny GEEKBENCH now shows a lower score.... but every thing went well....
  • Reply 86 of 172
    Hmmmm...

Installed the update on my mid 2007 20" iMac (Intel).

Reading the comments in this thread... and POOF!!! The screen went blue and my attached Samsung 23" syncmaster went pink!

Hard restart.

First time in over 2 1/2 years!

WTF!!

Nice update...
  • Reply 87 of 172
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    "Mobile Accounts fixes and improvements provided for:

home directory synchronization when the home directory is stored on an SMB file server.

properly warning mobile users in an Active Directory domain about upcoming password expiration.

creating a Mobile Account that uses smart card authentication, without using a command-line tool."

Can anyone give me the low down on these because I am in the dark?

Btw, shouldn't the mobile me updates trickle down to leopard too? Why does my powerbook have to have less reliable mm services? I thought the point of mobile me was to be reliable across machines not on snow leopard...
  • Reply 88 of 172
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

It was a joke.
  • Reply 89 of 172
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spookmag View Post

Yes I have tried every hack or app there is. This app says that my system is 100% able to run 64bit kernel but is currently locked by apple to boot into 32bit mode. right now there are only eight model number macs that will boot into 64bit kernel. Supposedly they are going to unlock more of them via software updates. the next OS won't be 32bit at all so they better get to it otherwise my computer which is only 3 years old will not run 10.7

I also have an IMac 7,1 ? thus my interest in your issue. The link mentioned does not provide a solution, and states specifically that only iMac 8,1 and later are "enabled" for K64. That was the situation at Mac OS X 10.6.0 and that has not changed.

I am currently on Mac OS X 10.6.3 and have confirmed this via "About this Mac" > "More Info" > "Software" > 64-bit Kernel and ExtensionstNo

Basically, when you run on K32, you do not suffer any noticeable performance penalty. Applications that are either 32-bits or 64-bits will load on K32. If you have an iMac 7,1 you cannot install more than 4GB of RAM.

I don't know the exact technical reason why Apple decided to draw the "enabling" line as it did. Probably, the availability of drivers, or some hardware limitation despite the fact that you have a 64-bit EFI and a 64-bit processor.

How do you know that your computer will not run Mac OS X 10.7? I am guessing that it will. I would think Mac OS X 10.7 will support K32 and K64. I have not seen any information to the contrary.
  • Reply 90 of 172
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momus View Post

In case anyone was wondering where the OS's OGL support was at now:

Here's the program, also.

The state of openGL in OS X is a real bummer. I don't understand why is it taking Apple so long to implement versions 3.0 - 3.2... \
  • Reply 91 of 172
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knunez View Post

for some reason my update is 757MB. Maybe I have more updates? It's weird. Here's a link to the screenshot: http://bit.ly/cAPu2n

The dialog box says it is downloading 13 items: 892.6 MB and will take about 2 hours on my 27" iMac. Can that be correct? How long did it take to download yours?
  • Reply 92 of 172
    Wellllllllllllll...

This update has made my iMac almost unusable.

Something to do with the display support... I think.

Harsh!
  • Reply 93 of 172
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wellllllllllllll...

Harsh!

Tell us what you did to prepare for this update.
  • Reply 94 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Prepare?
  • Reply 95 of 172
    I'd think twice before updating.

There's definitely a serious bug.

Like I say... it seems to be in the display support.

If you've got two monitors stay away until this gets figured out.
  • Reply 96 of 172
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    I updated to 10.6.3 this morning and everything seems fine except I ran into an issue with iCal showing the wrong date in the dock. I contacted apple support and after trying a variety of things nothing worked. The last resort was to reinstall the combo update and that did the trick. If any of you are having this problem after updating via software update go to the link below and download/install the combo, it will fix it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1018
  • Reply 97 of 172
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wellllllllllllll...

Harsh!

Hey I had some issues too after updating. Apple gave me this link to download and reinstall the combo and it fixed all my issues. I hope it works for you as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1018
  • Reply 98 of 172
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wrong question! Tell us what we should have done to prepare for the update.

My computer has slowed down to a crawl.

EDIT: Now, the update has stopped after running for half an hour. it says: SafariErrorDomain error 2.
  • Reply 99 of 172
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    FWIW, my OpenGL wasn't updated with this updater. Still the same as 10.6.2. Using a 3 yo MBP. Perhaps my card just won't work with the new drivers?
  • Reply 100 of 172
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

OPen GL 4.0 is already being addd to GPUs. Of course, Windows will likely add support long before Apple does.

30X longer? You seriously expect anyone to believe that?

OpenGL 4.0 is for Nvidia 400+ series and newer, AMD/ATi 5000 series and newer.

http://www.g-truc.net/post-0269.html

Older system cards will hit the ceiling at OpenGL 3.3.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html

OpenGL 3.3 for Nvidia 8000 series or newer.

Apple will target OpenGL 3.3 before they release OpenGL 4.0 drivers.