WSJ: Apple working on two new iPhones, including one for Verizon

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In addition to a new iPhone model to be introduced this summer, Apple is also working on a CDMA-capable version that could run on the Verizon network in the U.S., sources have told The Wall Street Journal.

In a report issued Monday evening, Journal reporters Yukari Iwati Kane, Tin-I Tsai and Niraj Sheth reported that Apple "appears" to be working on a new iPhone model for Verizon Wireless. The report suggested that the CDMA iPhones might come after Apple introduces a new handset this summer, as the CDMA iPhones are not scheduled to go into mass production until September. The report noted it was "unclear when Apple might make the model available."

"The people briefed on the matter said one of the new iPhones is being manufactured by Taiwanese contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which produced Apple's previous iPhones," the report said. "The model that has CDMA capability, used by Verizon Wireless, is being manufactured by Pegatron Technology Corp., the contract manufacturing subsidiary of Taiwan's ASUSTeK Computer Inc., said these people."

Apple is expected to introduce a new iPhone model at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference this summer. A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center, where the event is usually held, has led some to believe that WWDC 2010 could take place between June 28 and July 2.

In January, Apple executives made a clear effort to demonstrate they are happy with their partnership with AT&T. The company also aimed to downplay speculation that the iPhone would become available on multiple carriers in the U.S. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said multi-carrier strategies are not the best option for every country.

"I don't want to imply that would happen in every market or that we are headed that way in every market," Cook said in the company's quarterly earnings call. He also specifically defended AT&T and said the nation's second-largest wireless carrier is working to alleviate coverage concerns across the country.

But rumors of the end of exclusivity have persisted for years. Currently, AT&T is the sole carrier of the iPhone in the U.S.

The rumored September manufacture date reported Monday by the Journal would fit with rumors that surfaced in late 2009 that Apple could launch a UMTS/CDMA hybrid iPhone in the third quarter of calendar 2010. However, some have speculated that the technology will not be ready for the iPhone until 2011 at the earliest.

Early this year, one report alleged that Apple and Verizon were in negotiations for a summer 2010 CDMA iPhone launch, but the two companies were said to be at odds over pricing. That report alleged that Apple could still make a CDMA phone for other markets like China and Japan, even if a deal with Verizon couldn't be reached.

Sources have told AppleInsider that the new iPhone to be introduced this summer will bring the latest update to its mobile operating system, iPhone OS 4.0, and with it support for full-fledged multitasking with third-party applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The same time every year, like clockwork.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And I still don't believe it this year.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    My Iphone is already up for sale on Ebay. Thank god! F-U AT&T!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

My Iphone is already up for sale on Ebay. Thank god! F-U AT&T!!!!!!!!!!

Read before you comment.

CDMA is a dead technology and a niche technology. LTE is the direction Apple is headed and it will only be with presently deployed GSM 3G technology systems.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Right?!

As we've already discussed, I hope it's true for my bandwidth and stock's sake I think that most Apple has considered Verizon is to have talks with them to make AT&T bend to their will even more.

The 3G iPad, which is unlocked, doesn't even have the simple 1700Mhz radio to work T-MObile USA so if they aren't going to do that I have doubts they'll go full turkey in with Verizon as the 2nd carrier at a time when NAND is already in short supply.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to a new iPhone model to be introduced this summer, Apple is also working on a CDMA-capable version that could run on the Verizon network in the U.S., sources have told The Wall Street Journal. ...

It seems far more likely to me that after the major revision of the iPhone expected this year, Apple would put out an LTE version of that model instead of a CDMA one. Since this would effectively have the same end result (an iPhone for Verizon), I'm betting this is a mangled report of exactly that.

It would correspond to Apple's advertisement for an LTE engineer last week, and it makes sense that they wouldn't want to deflate the launch of the new iPhone, by having a faster one come out at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I do not believe it either, but the stock went up $5 after hours because of that rumor. Sounds more like somebody is manipulating here...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Why is it so hard for people to believe in a CDMA iPhone? This is NOT about CDMA, ATT is not the only GSM carrier in the US, it is and always has been about the exclusivity contract. Which WILL expire at some point. Every other major phone manufacturer makes CDMA phones. It would not cost Apple billions to do so, anything to the contrary is ATT fanboy misinformation (amazing how fanboys of phone companies actually exist)

LTE will not replace CDMA over night. It's going to take years and years and years for CDMA to be completely "dead." Dying tech? Sure...but one that is going to die painfully slowly. And in any case, even if Verizon could put up LTE overnight in every single market, phone calls will still be routed through CDMA for a long time! So you are prepared to say that the iPhone will not be available on Verizon for the next 5-6-7-8 years?

Riiiight.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    The iPhone can't simultaneously use data and voice on Verizon's network.

A million fanbois cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Okay, this time, I believe it. Why?

1 .The Apple exclusive with AT&T is clearly over. AT&T is already adding lots of 3G smartphones, including Android and Palm. We all know Apple clearly got what it wanted, but AT&T got the headstart they wanted from their partnership with Apple, in terms of data subscribers to recoup their 3G investment, and increased cash (more subscribers at higher ARPUs) to fund the deployments of HSPA+ and LTE.

2. iPhone's ability to grow further in the US is slowing. Now almost three years since its intro, those who are willing to switch to AT&T (or those who needed to wait for their 2-year plan to end) to get an iPhone have likely already done so.

3. Even with an LTE phone on Verizon next year, the Verizon iPhone would still have to support CDMA/EVDO as the backup since LTE will not cover 95% of the US for some time. So the CDMA development work is needed. As it is, I think Apple already did some of this work back in 2006; if you remember, Verizon was Apple's first choice. (Remember that Apple maintained an Intel version of OS X for several years; they could as easily maintained a CDMA version of iPhone in the lab as well.)

4. The Android threat is growing in the US and Apple isn't going to let it get entrenched at Verizon. This move has been Apple's trump card in waiting and this is the year to play it.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Just do it if you're going to. Don't talk about it. Send me an email when it's ready to ship and I'll take two.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

And I still don't believe it this year.

I agree with you.......... I will believe it when I see it.......
  • Reply 13 of 39
    "I do not believe it either, but the stock went up $5 after hours because of that rumor. Sounds more like somebody is manipulating here..."

If it were published any other place other than the WSJ, then I'd be inclined to agree, but not this time.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    This was baloney last year and it is baloney this year.

Apple is not going to invest in a US only technology.

And no, replying with the countries occupied by a US military base mandating US technologies does not count as it being adopted outside the US.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

"I do not believe it either, but the stock went up $5 after hours because of that rumor. Sounds more like somebody is manipulating here..."

If it were published any other place other than the WSJ, then I'd be inclined to agree, but not this time.

Agree. That would be my fifth reason. We know Apple has intentionally leaked to the WSJ (and Kane in particular). For the cynics, is Apple adopting the FUD technique to try to freeze Android sales at Verizon, having calculated that there are few additional Verizon-to-AT&T switchers so few sales would be lost in the meantime?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

There are plenty of other countries that use CDMA as their primary cellular tech. Adding a CDMA iPhone would increase sales in developing nations by dozen, maybe even hundreds of units per year.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

CDMA is not US only.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    this is awesome i can't wait!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Read before you comment.

CDMA is a dead technology and a niche technology. LTE is the direction Apple is headed and it will only be with presently deployed GSM 3G technology systems.

There over well over 100 million subscribers in that dead niche.

Quote:

This was baloney last year and it is baloney this year.

AT&T accounts for half of worldwide iPhones.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    You all know Apple skates to where the puck will be next year. That place is not CDMA. I agree this rumor is baloney. Move along people, nothing to see here.