Apple's new iPhone rumored with A4 chip, forward-facing camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adding to an earlier report of Apple's forthcoming next-generation iPhone, Daring Fireball on Monday claimed Apple's new handset will feature a custom A4 processor, 960x640 double-resolution display, and a second front-facing camera.

Author John Gruber sarcastically mentioned an earlier report from The Wall Street Journal, calling it the paper's "lame entry in the iPhone rumors game."

In addition to details on the processor, display and camera, Gruber also reiterated what AppleInsider reported earlier this month: Apple's iPhone 4.0 software will add multitasking support for third-party applications.

Separately, Engadget also reported an anonymous tip that the device would be dubbed the iPhone HD, and will be announced on Tuesday, June 22. If true, that would be a week before the rumored schedule of June 28 through July 2 for WWDC 2010.

When Apple introduced its forthcoming iPad in January, the Cupertino, Calif., company revealed that the device is powered by a custom-built system-on-a-chip dubbed the Apple A4. The speedy 1GHz processor is based on the ARM architecture and includes an integrated CPU and graphics processing.

That Apple's custom silicon would find its way into the next-generation iPhone should come as no surprise, as the company has been a licensee of ARM for years and has been long rumored to leverage its $278 million acquisition of fabless chip designer P.A. Semi for its mobile devices.

A forward-facing camera for videoconferencing is a feature that some users have desired in the iPhone for years. In the months of build-up to the iPad's unveiling, many reports alleged that the device would include a forward-facing camera, and alleged parts appear to show an internal spot for such an accessory.

In February, a patent application from Apple showed a forward-facing camera on an iPhone-like device. The application described technology for superior picture and video recording performance on mobile devices.

Gruber's posting was prompted by a report from the Journal that alleged Apple is working on two new iPhone models, including a CDMA-capable model for release on the Verizon network in the U.S.

In January, AppleInsider received word that Apple was shopping for LED flash components to potentially add a camera flash to the fourth-generation iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 156
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    If the iPad didn't get a forward facing camera I doubt the iPhone will... \
  • Reply 2 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Holy crap, the pace of change is becoming fast!
  • Reply 3 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

I don't see the conection.
  • Reply 4 of 156
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Good to see Apple is using their own chip, A4 in their products.
  • Reply 5 of 156
    I seriously doubt the very same A4 found on the iPad will find its way to the iPhone. First because I refuse to believe it is just a standard 1GHz processor: the nexus one's snapdragon is one and couldn't pull off such impressive performance on the iPad even it were dreaming. I'd bet the A4 is three or four-cored.

I do, however, believe in an Apple processor on the next-gen iPhone. A2 or whatever.
  • Reply 6 of 156
    If it was just going to be for iChat style video conferencing on the iPhone, I doubt Apple would do it now. But user facing camera on the iPhone + chat roulette = interweb nirvana ( a sales/marketing opportunity for Apple) - at least for awhile. I would love to see that demo'ed during the rollout of the next gen iPhone. Cut to Steve or Phil (or whoever) up on stage hitting the usual 'lively' content on chat roulette. Priceless moment.

-Blurp
  • Reply 7 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

AI "In February, a patent application from Apple showed a forward-facing camera on an iPhone-like device. The application described technology for superior picture and video recording performance on mobile devices."

iPad is a different critter altogether. iPhone patent for forward camera seems to support the speculation that the next iPhone will have a forward camera. Look to the 4G to take two steps forward of the competition--no looking back.
  • Reply 8 of 156
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

....Daring Fireball on Monday claimed Apple's new handset will feature a custom A4 processor, 960x640 double-resolution display, and a second front-facing camera.

Gruber claimed nothing of the sort!
  • Reply 9 of 156
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    This next-gen phone sounds amazing... too amazing. I hope Gruber is right, but I suspect a significant quantity of this is a wish-list... But I really, really hope that it isn't!!!!

I'm seriously due for a refresh -- my 3G is starting to loose pixels (4 down), and that isn't being helped by a near-continuous dropping experience (I keep dropping it, not calls).
  • Reply 10 of 156
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I do, however, believe in an Apple processor on the next-gen iPhone. A2 or whatever.

And the next AppleTV.
  • Reply 11 of 156
    So when can you pre-order your next iPhone??

Be sure to place your order early.
  • Reply 12 of 156
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I hope they don't call it iPhone HD - first cause of zune, second cause of App HD is used for iPad now.

Other then that front facing cam. would help the iphone to stay competitive against phones like HTC Evo 4G, which looks hella appealing (hardware side at least). It would also be nice to see a design update, not that the current iPhone will ever look bad (its basically just the screen, not much you can do about that) but the design is starting to look stale.
  • Reply 13 of 156
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I seriously doubt the very same A4 found on the iPad will find its way to the iPhone. First because I refuse to believe it is just a standard 1GHz processor: the nexus one's snapdragon is one and couldn't pull off such impressive performance on the iPad even it were dreaming. I'd bet the A4 is three or four-cored.

A4 for the iPad can come in as a Quad Core. The A4 for the iPhone 4GS can come in as a Duo-Core.
  • Reply 14 of 156

It just dawned on me why the MBPs are so late in being upgraded...

They will have a Touch Screen supported by Mac OS X (in addition to the kb & trackpad).

Within 2 years, every Mac display will be MultiTouch!

• Reply 15 of 156
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    this is HUGE
  • Reply 16 of 156
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    IPhone Extreme!

To The MAX!
  • Reply 17 of 156
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It's nice to see Apple finally catching up with the competition.
  • Reply 18 of 156
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Your bitterness is like fine wine.
  • Reply 19 of 156
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You are joking right "finally catching up", finally, really? I am guessing you don't understand product cycles and manufacturing, maybe Steve miss-placed his magic wand?

(sorry had to use the term magic)

Damn you addabox! 3 seconds... but I typed more
  • Reply 20 of 156
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Gruber claimed nothing of the sort!

True, and well worth pointing out, but: having read Gruber for a while it seems unlikely that he would phrase a post like that unless he was making a sort of sly prediction. He's generally pretty straightforward about stuff like that, but if he just meant to catalogue the various rumors afoot, I don't think he would have used that particular construction.

But you're right, it's at least ambiguous and doesn't really rise to the level of Gruber claiming anything.