New Office 11 for Mac sports dense ribbons of buttons

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post


    I wonder what's supposed to happen when I click the floppy disk icon?



    Does the program generate a little whirring/clicking noise, just for nostalgia's sake?



    (C'mon, MacBU, it's Two Thousand And Ten already!)



    Seriously! There is a point when such things become silly... and the floppy disc for Save is well past that point.
  • Reply 22 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    How about a link from the company that actually made the Windows Ribbon Framework.
    Look at that, tou even got lucky because Microsoft even stats everything I previous stated all in one page as this is general knowledge for those that have a working knowledge of Windows.



    Is it going to take a fricking picture to prove you're wrong? How about a CNET video review with a follow up review.



    YOU ARE WRONG.



    CNET's review of Office 2007 and the article states it's running on XP.



    http://reviews.cnet.com/office-suite...-32143052.html



    You are seriously annoying and hate to be proven wrong.



    From the review.



    "Setup

    Breezing through the options, our fastest installation of Microsoft Office Standard 2007 took no more than 20 minutes on a Windows XP computer."



    "From that point on, loading the Office suite onto our hard drive took 15 minutes flat. Office Standard 2007 is smaller than its predecessors, at about 3GB. Unlike the Windows Vista operating system, the new Office does not demand the newest hardware. Office 2007 is supposed to work the same whether running on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista. At a minimum, you'll need to have Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Windows XP SP2 on a 500MHz processor with 256MB of RAM (512MB or more for Outlook with Business Contact Manager, which comes in the Small Business, Professional, and Ultimate editions). However, of course, this rules out those still using older versions of Windows.
  • Reply 23 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Is it going to take a fricking picture to prove your wrong. How about a CNET video review with a follow up review.



    YOU ARE WRONG.



    CNET's review of Office 2007 and the article states it's running on XP.

    blah blah blah



    So what you are saying is Microsoft is wrong when they post that the Windows Ribbon Framework requires Vista with SP2 and when they compare the MS Office 2007's Fluent user interface as being similar in both appearance and functionality to the Windows Ribbon Framework?



    Ouch! That's your third strike this thread after saying Microsoft's own detailed website is wrong. I'm sorry, but you've lost all of your whack-a-doodle privileges for the evening. Perhaps you could finish your evening with something less intense or difficult, like See Spot Run or other popular children's books.
  • Reply 24 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So what you are saying is Microsoft is wrong when they post that the Windows Ribbon Framework requires Vista with SP2 and when they compare the MS Office 2007's Fluent user interface as being similar in both appearance and functionality to the Windows Ribbon Framework?



    Ouch! That's your third strike this thread after saying Microsoft's own detailed website is wrong. I'm sorry, but you've lost all of your whack-a-doodle privileges for the evening. Perhaps you could finish your evening with something less intense or difficult, like See Spot Run or other popular children's books.



    Give it up. You are wrong about Windows Office 2007 requiring Vista to have the ribbon interface.



    No need to further post to your responses because it's clearly like talking to a monkey. You can talk to it all day long and never get an intelligent response.
  • Reply 25 of 119
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post


    Microsoft's graphic designers are third-rate. What is up with those nasty icons?



    Truly atrocious for sure. Garish mismatched colours, unintuitive icons, utter garbage, you won't find such bad designs on an android device even.



    The ribbon for word is to me pretty much the only feature I can give kudos to microsoft, a real great interface, BUT, on windows pcs only, on the mac it's been a horrible mismatch so far, but right now it looks much better, still since the have to abide with the apple ui interface it's by definition very difficult to make it work, to be fair. If there was just the ribbon there and not the top icons on the grey background it would work, of course you can always hide that on the window. And I would say that you always have to hide it.



    But anyway, who cares about word nowadays, or pretty much every office app other than excel. Apple should have stepped up big time and hired a good team to bring numbers up to where it should be, then there would be absolutely no reason for office since keynote is far better than powerpoint and pages is arguably better than word too.



    Btw, the mail and address book apps look embarrassing, something a 12 year old without much imagination or flair would have concocted. Truly lowest common denominator, truly microsoft.
  • Reply 26 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Give it up. You are wrong about Windows Office 2007 requiring Vista to have the ribbon interface.



    No need to further post to your responses because it's clearly like talking to a monkey. You can talk to it all day long and never get an intelligent response.



    And there we have the trolls typical flipfloping on the debate when he actually realizes he's backed himself into yet another corner. Sad.



    Let's go back to te beginning. You angrily exclaimed that the author's clear use of the phrase "Vista Ribbon" which has been pointed out refers to the Windows Ribbons Framework found in Vista SP2.



    But now you claiming that I stated "Windows Office 2007 [requires] Vista to have the ribbon interface". What Mickey Mouse world do you live in that you think that makes sense?
  • Reply 27 of 119
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    I like it. I also find the ribbon to make much more sense than the old menu bars.



    I agree. It took me some time to get used to the old menu system being gone, but once I spent a bit of time getting used to the ribbon, I grew to like it more than the original.



    Now it's time to get myself flamed!



    I'm glad that Microsoft continue to be developing Office for Mac and I'll be glad to see the ribbon appear to make it more like the PC version, because I prefer it to iWork. Maybe it's just that I spend a lot more time using Office as my productivity suite (since the company I work for is Windows only), and I've never spent an awful lot of time trying to get used to iWork. Whilst I found every other move to Mac from Windows a piece of cake, since everything else Mac does seems more intuitive than Windows, Office just seems more obvious to me than iWork.
  • Reply 28 of 119
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member




    Will take the iWork look over Office any day. Attractive, clean, simple, obvious.
  • Reply 29 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Btw, the mail and address book apps look embarrassing, something a 12 year old without much imagination or flair would have concocted. Truly lowest common denominator, truly microsoft.



    For what it's worth, Outlook is the app I'm most interested in. I'm

    not a fan of Apple's preference of seperating mail, contacts and calander, especially when they are clearly connected behind the scenes. Pretty much anything better than Entourage will make me switch.
  • Reply 30 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So what you are saying is Microsoft is wrong when they post that the Windows Ribbon Framework requires Vista with SP2 and when they compare the MS Office 2007's Fluent user interface as being similar in both appearance and functionality to the Windows Ribbon Framework?



    Ouch! That's your third strike this thread after saying Microsoft's own detailed website is wrong. I'm sorry, but you've lost all of your whack-a-doodle privileges for the evening. Perhaps you could finish your evening with something less intense or difficult, like See Spot Run or other popular children's books.



    I really don't want to get into this pissing match, though all your posts - I'm not even sure what the point is. Best I can tell, one person indicates that you need Vista to run Office 2007 w/ the annoying ribbon.



    I teach at a horribly antiquated community college where all of the workstations are still Windows XP. We run Office 2007 - and I have yet to find a feature that does not work. A lot of my students are professionals who come and want to learn how to use this newer piece of crap from MS, that is supposedly much easier and intuitive to use. Hahahahahaha.





    So, MS Office 2007 does run on OS's less than Windows 7 and Vista. Our machines are running XP - the final SP (3?).
  • Reply 31 of 119
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    People will buy or use what they are comfortable using ... MS (as usual) attempts to solve every problem and complicates the interface in doing so. Apple does a decent job, generally at UI design, but still can't offer some simple improvements like saving the state of the Pages window if it's expanded (how many times do I have to expand the size of the window to get at bullets). Yes, yes, I know, use the Inspector ... well, it's still a few more clicks than necessary.
  • Reply 32 of 119
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    4WIW, I use Office 2007 running Fusion 2 and Windows XP on my MBP and I personally prefer the ribbon over menus--but that's my choice and preference. Others may prefer menus--just a matter of personal preference



    I watched the iPad video using iWorks--impressive

    When the iPad come to the Apple Store and the crowds die down, I'll take a serious look at the iPad and Works. 2ETO



    Forgot to mention--I have no intention of switching to Office 2011--2007 works for me.
  • Reply 33 of 119
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    For what it's worth, Outlook is the app I'm most interested in. I'm

    not a fan of Apple's preference of seperating mail, contacts and calander, especially when they are clearly connected behind the scenes. Pretty much anything better than Entourage will make me switch.



    I guess it's a matter or taste, because I like the way they are all separate apps, makes for less clutter on each one separately. But, like I said, it's a matter of taste mostly I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 119
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post




    I teach at a horribly antiquated community college where all of the workstations are still Windows XP. We run Office 2007 - and I have yet to find a feature that does not work. A lot of my students are professionals who come and want to learn how to use this newer piece of crap from MS, that is supposedly much easier and intuitive to use. Hahahahahaha.





    So, MS Office 2007 does run on OS's less than Windows 7 and Vista. Our machines are running XP - the final SP (3?).



    See my comments above, you beat me to the punch.
  • Reply 35 of 119
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post


    I really don't want to get into this pissing match, though all your posts - I'm not even sure what the point is. Best I can tell, one person indicates that you need Vista to run Office 2007 w/ the annoying ribbon.



    I teach at a horribly antiquated community college where all of the workstations are still Windows XP. We run Office 2007 - and I have yet to find a feature that does not work. A lot of my students are professionals who come and want to learn how to use this newer piece of crap from MS, that is supposedly much easier and intuitive to use. Hahahahahaha.





    So, MS Office 2007 does run on OS's less than Windows 7 and Vista. Our machines are running XP - the final SP (3?).



    Yeah, it does, but the author never wrote that Office 2007 doesn't run on XP. Neither did Microsoft nor I state it, that was just Angus Young's switch-a-roo argument after the fact. It seems clear to me that the author's used the phrase 'Windows Vista-era "Ribbon"' instead of just using a more general term to refer to the ribbon as to specifically prevent confusion with the earlier ribbon feature in the Fluent UI. Windows Ribbon framework requires Windows Vista SP2, as posted in links to Microsoft's own site, above, as well how it relates to the Fluent UI used in Office 2007. This isn't that difficult, People.
  • Reply 36 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Yeah, it does, but the author never wrote that Office 2007 doesn't run on XP, Neither did I nor Microsoft.com, that was just Angus Young's switch-a-roo argument after the fact. It seems clear to me that the author's used the phrase 'Windows Vista-era "Ribbon"' instead of just using a more general term to refer to the ribbon as to specifically prevent confusion with the earlier ribbon feature. Windows Ribbon framework that requires Windows Vista SP2, as posted in links right to Microsoft's site, above, as well how it relates to the Fluent UI used in Office 2007. This isn't that difficult, People.



    Pathetic is all I have to say.



    Revise... You are pathetic.



    First sentence of article.

    Quote:

    Screenshots of Microsoft's 2011 version of its productivity suite for Mac have appeared, highlighting a more serious user interface appearance and the Vista Ribbon.



  • Reply 37 of 119
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,670member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Will take the iWork look over Office any day. Attractive, clean, simple, obvious.



    So will I. I have all but given up on MS Office. But I agree with Solipsism - neither are ideal. Too much wasted real estate at the top with that large toolbar.



    On another note - there is no mention of how to save documents locally on the iPad as far as I can see. And much as I like the Photo app I was really hoping for some basic editing options. Hopefully these will come. The idea is obviously that the iPad will become a part of a local Apple ecosystem and much as this is probably right in most cases, I believe an awful lot of people will have nothing more than an iPad. For me the iPad will make the perfect first 'laptops' for my kids but they are not going to want to have to log on to the iMac to mess around with their photos.
  • Reply 38 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    iWork looks much better than Office for Mac but I can't say I'm happy with either design. On a 13" MBP wasting so much space at the top is not ideal. Especially not with this 16:10 (and hopefully not 16:9 in the future) over the previous 4:3 displays. I have plenty of space on the sides and I'd like to use it. Now the iPad, that is the way you rethink it! ...



    The screen shots for Office have been shrunk to fit horizontally (check the traffic lights which are smaller), so even though they look similar, the ribbon takes up significantly more space than the single toolbar in iWork.



    Trying to use Office for Mac is a nightmare IMO, but as an iWork user I must say that the "Inspector" is really, really, really, busy, ugly and poorly designed as well. Hopefully the iPad will help the designers to see how less is more again.



    They could get rid of half of the crud in the inspector by simply making it context aware for instance. Pretty shameful that it's not already IMO.
  • Reply 39 of 119
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post


    People will buy or use what they are comfortable using ... MS (as usual) attempts to solve every problem and complicates the interface in doing so. Apple does a decent job, generally at UI design, but still can't offer some simple improvements like saving the state of the Pages window if it's expanded (how many times do I have to expand the size of the window to get at bullets). Yes, yes, I know, use the Inspector ... well, it's still a few more clicks than necessary.



    I don't follow what you are saying at all. I think you're suggesting that the Pages style drawer is just a gee-gaw. If so, and if you're not using it virtually all the time to create, manage and apply text and paragraph styles, then you're missing one of the most useful and best designed features of Pages.
  • Reply 40 of 119
    We're so lucky to have Mocrosoft making great Mac software for us.
Sign In or Register to comment.