Brightcove converts Time, NYT Flash video to HTML5 for iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Really? I wonder what brush stroke could have knocked a 0.5 deduction off of it?

I think "4+" is the "cleanest" rating you can get.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Hey calm down, pal. First of all, I'm not calling people like you assholes, I'm calling the decision makers at Apple assholes. Secondly, don't tell me to shut the fuck up. I have as much right to say what I want as you do. .

These troll's are two much!
  • Reply 83 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

How can Brushes for iPad be rated if no one has an iPad yet?

It is rated 4+.
  • Reply 84 of 94
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Lets use quicktime as an example here. Lets say Microsoft decided quicktime was a cpu hog, even though it ran just fine in OSX. Lets also say the reason it ran like crap in Windows was because of a lack of cooperation on Microsoft's part. Would you not find it mildly irritating to see a company like Microsoft attempt to change YOUR experience based on the bs they pedaled?

I see nothing wrong with html5, just as I see nothing wrong with Flash. My problem here though is I see greater potential for Flash for mobile than html5. Maybe I'm just thinking too far outside of the box.

i see the flash issue similar to your 'apple wants control' argument. if apple could write their own flash player i don't think we would be having this discussion. as far as i see it the lock-in is all on adobe's part.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

These troll's are two much!

Do not feed trolls!
  • Reply 86 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Lets use quicktime as an example here. Lets say Microsoft decided quicktime was a cpu hog, even though it ran just fine in OSX. Lets also say the reason it ran like crap in Windows was because of a lack of cooperation on Microsoft's part. Would you not find it mildly irritating to see a company like Microsoft attempt to change YOUR experience based on the bs they pedaled?

I see nothing wrong with html5, just as I see nothing wrong with Flash. My problem here though is I see greater potential for Flash for mobile than html5. Maybe I'm just thinking too far outside of the box.

MS allows QT on WinMo? I've never heard of that. WinPh7 will reportedly be following Apple's lead in every way people have been complaining about since 2007. I don't see a difference.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS allows QT on WinMo? I've never heard of that. WinPh7 will reportedly be following Apple's lead in every way people have been complaining about since 2007. I don't see a difference.

Well for the sake of argument, I was specifically talking about the Windows os, not WM. In windows mobile, TCPMP allows you to play .mov and I believe coreplayer does as well. These are things MS doesn't really control.

Don't get me started on the trash that is windows phone 7 btw... A lot of "power users" will respond to Microsoft's new phone by switching to Android. I've got my eye on the HTC Evo.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well for the sake of argument, I was specifically talking about the Windows os, not WM. In windows mobile, TCPMP allows you to play .mov and I believe coreplayer does as well. These are things MS doesn't really control.

Don't get me started on the trash that is windows phone 7 btw... A lot of "power users" will respond to Microsoft's new phone by switching to Android. I've got my eye on the HTC Evo.

1) Nothing is keeping MS from creating WMP, Zune software or any other software for the Mac so i don't see it as being relevant.

2) I think other apps could play various container formats without issue on the iPhone, it's the codec support that is the probably impossible to get around, though why anyone still wants to use something other than H.264/x264 is beyond me.

3) I think Windows Phone 7 Series is great. It's the first time I've seen MS make some real changes that will be good for the platform. I'm more excited about this will mean to smartphones than i am about what the iPad will mean for tablet, though I doubt I'll be giving up my iPhone for a WinPh7 device.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

A lot of "power users" will respond to Microsoft's new phone by switching to Android. I've got my eye on the HTC Evo.

Nothing even comes close to the iPhone.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:

Did you seriously not even look at the link I posted? It's all right there plain to see: Flash working perfectly on the iphone. Besides that, 10.1 is coming to Android. I won't even make much of a comment on the firefox mobile team: a group of people who utterly abandoned the WM platform because of their own failure.

Baseless assertion? Oh, so Apple doesn't wish to control such a thing. Ok, please show me how that's true. And we're not talking about fetch and send apps here. Flash content over a mobile browser could mean many things, including entire webpages devoted to distributing iphone/ipad specific content on par with what you find in the app store, thus bypassing Apple's control over what content is allowed in the app store. Really, you're going to argue with me on that?

It's funny how you say if they were smart, as if a bunch of morons developed flash lol

What I see here is a bunch of stupid reasons to get rid of something that's not broken, and these stupid reasons stem from misinformation by Apple.

No, I've got a fairly steady paycheck as a fortune cookie writer (BTW, You will inherit some money or a small piece of land.)

Also, I'm fairly certain I'm not the first person to use an adult word around here.

So yeah we all get you want to cling to Flash - and that's OK. But as someone who has programmed in Flash, I'm ready for it to go away. But as you keep dunning Apple for being controlling and at the same time championing Flash you sound terribly hypocritical. Because, after all Flash itself is not an open web standard is it.

It is code in a form that can only be rendered by Adobe’s Flash Player plugin. And God help you if you piss-off Adobe or otherwise invite their disdain (at least until recently when they saw their closed system get challenged) - because they putter about and putter about in legendary manner, flogging ill-conceived concepts like (I mean really) Flash Lite for the burgeoning low-end mobile devices category. No one else can do their own implementation of Adobe’s Flash Player because Flash isn’t an open specification. It’s a proprietary technology fully owned by Adobe. Mozilla, Apple and everyone else has to wait for Adobe to fix the situation in its Flash Player plugin. And let's face it - Flash is an interactive content platform created to allow Adobe to own an important part of what should be an open web. And sure they're NOW trying to address performance issues, because if you're on a Mac, open a web page embedding a simple Flash visual and watch your CPU performance bottom out. But render that same thing in JavaScript, and the browser can deliver optimizations and enhancements that make it play faster and better, resource-wise. Flash is really just an alternative version of JavaScript sold by Adobe that nobody else can enhance or accelerate on their own. Controlled and proprietary - get it yet?

So sorry I totally disagree with you on this. As a Flash "programmer", good riddance. Deliver iphone/ipad specific content on par with what you find in the app store? You are seriously delusional, or have not used any of the truly good App Store apps. There is no way in blazes I want to stay shackled to Flash content one moment longer than necessary - talk about closed systems and controlling behaviors! You sound more like a paid shill for Adobe than someone who has actually done any work in Flash. The language thing - well a pretty cool guy told me once that obscenity and trash talk was the last resort of the ignorant and poor communicator. Take it as you will.

• Reply 91 of 94
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    quit arguing with an obvious troll......
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

yup. DEFINITELY not on the iphone hack.

for obvious reasons.

No , the attack leveraged the obscure (but now well-known) fact that Apple chose to sandbox SMS with some of the other content - thus allowing the hack. Look for that to get cleaned up in short order.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Quote:

But I thought Apple's operating systems were immune to viruses? I mean, they sure do attack Microsoft enough for it, don't they? Oh right, all viruses and security threats come from Flash... But Flash is on OSX?

Honestly, by your logic, if security truly was the reason, then Flash would not work on OSX (especially considering usually no AV software installed.)

Calling Apple assholes as the reason is a very general statement, but isn't it funny how it so correctly sums up everything?

Let's set-up another strawman argument. Only an idiot would say Apple's operating systems were immune to viruses. Resistant yes, and due largely to the OS rewrite when Jobs brought in the NeXT core dev team and merged BSD and the mach kernel to build MacOSX on. How else do you explain that prior to MacOSX (Mac OS9, 8, 7 for example) there were easily as many or more virii on the Mac platform as in Windows? With markedly less marketshare (1-2%)? As opposed to now where there are far fewer successful "in the wild" attacks against the MacOSX with an installed base of some 40 million or more devices (excluding the recent mobile implementations of OSX). Stop being such a numbnut. No one said that ALL virii and threats come from Flash but is it a freakin' vector isn't it?! So nice try but you get my vote for best strawdog hyperbole in this thread! Good on ya mate!

But this is all OK because you don't have to use Apple products, you have Android (in all its delicious permutations), Symbian/Maemo, RIM/Blackberry, and now just in time for the holidays the lovely and vivacious WP7!

SO yes you can run free as you want on any of those platforms, just so long as you continue to wear your Adobe Flash shackles.

ALL: So my favorite morality tale is the Three Billy Goats Gruff, I beg your pardon for acknowledging the obvious behaviors, but once in a while, I like butting heads with half-witted trolls. Sorry!
  • Reply 94 of 94
    pjb00pjb00 Posts: 16member
    So, before everyone get's all excited about this being the demise of Flash on the desktop, it's worth pointing out a quote from Jeff Whatcott, VP at Brightcove, with regard to this announcement:

"The customers we are hearing from are primarily concerned with HTML5 on devices like the iPad and iPhone. They consider video on the desktop to be a solved problem, and view Flash as the ideal choice there. So I would expect that most sites will continue to target the desktop (and mobile devices that will support Flash, e.g. Android, Symbian, etc.) with Flash and use HTML5 only in situations where Flash is not supported (like Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch). "

http://blog.brightcove.com/en/2010/0...es#comment-125