New Office 11 for Mac sports dense ribbons of buttons

Comments

• Reply 61 of 119
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

BTW: RTF files are MUCH more cross-platform compatible than ANY MS document format.

Sorry to break this to you, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format

(It was also the preferred formatted-text standard for the NeXT computers.)
  • Reply 62 of 119
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Outlook for Mac! Sweet. Outlook Express was my favourite OS 9 email client. I know they are not the same program, but it is enough to make me download the demo (whenever that is).

I only hope it is easy to use for a home user with Internet email, and not only designed for Office/Corporate LAN use.
  • Reply 63 of 119
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Unfortunately, since almost all my customers use MS-Word for their documents, it is almost a necessity to have MS-Word for the Mac. Pages just isn't fully compatible.

Ribbon/Shmibbon. Office has always sucked. If Apple would just let me save to .doc by default instead of having to export and end up with multiple copies of docs to manage manually, I'd be done with Word and the rest. Keynote is a joy to use and does tricks PowerPoint can't handle.

And once you've learned how the inspector and a few other UI conventions work in any program, e.g., Keynote and iWeb, you know a lot about a lot of Apple programs.

Just what the world needed. A great new word processor, presentation and simple spreadsheet that I can't share with 98% of the world without extra (unnecessary to me) steps. Arrrgh!

Or am I missing a simple way to end up with just DOCs and regular Excel spreadsheet formatted docs?
  • Reply 64 of 119
    gdcgdc Posts: 8member
    I've been using the Office 2010 Beta on Windows 7, and like the compromise approach to the ribbon whereby it is straightforward to minimise it, retaining screen space, and what looks like the old Office 2003 menus. When clicked on these bring up the relevant ribbon view. Best of both worlds IMO. That said, my biggest gripe about Office 2008 is that I still find it does not always faithfully replicate docs produced using Windows, particularly PowerPoint. And that sucks.
  • Reply 65 of 119
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS Office 2007 offered the Fluent user interface. This is similar in both appearance and functionality to the Windows Ribbon Framework, often referred to as Vista Ribbon because the minimum requirements were Windows Vista SP2.

I don't know what you and the author of the article are smoking, but the Ribbon has NOTHING to do with Vista. MS's own documentation:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...9411033.aspx#2

I use Office 2007 on XP and Vista and the interface is IDENTICAL and not dependent on Vista in any way.
  • Reply 66 of 119
    Quote:

How about a link from the company that actually made the Windows Ribbon Framework.

It still has NOTHING to do with the Ribbon in Office 2007 so I'm not sure why you are still carrying on about it...
  • Reply 67 of 119
    Quote:

the author's clear use of the phrase "Vista Ribbon" which has been pointed out refers to the Windows Ribbons Framework found in Vista SP2.

Really? That's funny because this appeared as the opening line when I read the story:

Quote:

Screenshots of Microsoft's 2011 version of its productivity suite for Mac have appeared, highlighting a more serious user interface appearance and the Vista Ribbon.

Which is the author mixing the Vista Ribbon with the Office 2007 ribbon - which is quite wrong. The two aren't related at all. Especially since the Vista Ribbon is a windows only framework.

It'd be like expecting core animation on Windows because iTunes used core animation like effects.
  • Reply 68 of 119
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Oh jeez. All this arguing about the Ribbon has got to stop. Solipsism was/is right and fleet has posted an excellent summary post.

Of course, if you want to discuss the differences between the "Fluent" Ribbon and the "Vista" Ribbon, go ahead. But stop trying to prove Solipsism wrong when he is clearly correct and you don't understand what he is saying.
  • Reply 69 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fleet View Post

Solipsism would get further if he left out the insults, but he is not trying to say that Office 2007 does not have the ribbon in Windows XP. He is simply trying to explain that there are two implementations of the ribbon interface at Microsoft, the Fluent UI and the Windows Ribbon Framework.

Which is TOTALLY irrelevant for a story about Microsoft Office - esp. the mac version.

The AI author had NO BUSINESS even bringing up "Vista Ribbon" as it added absolutely nothing to the story, and instead caused a huge firestorm of confusion. That should be the first hint the article is POORLY WORDED and in desperate need of editing and clarification, because I think in the authors mind the two are indeed intertwined - which they aren't in the least.

The original story needs to be simplified and clarified. It's a poorly worded hack as it stands, with blatant and misleading information in the first sentence.
  • Reply 70 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Of course, if you want to discuss the differences between the "Fluent" Ribbon and the "Vista" Ribbon, go ahead. But stop trying to prove Solipsism wrong when he is clearly correct and you don't understand what he is saying.

Actually, your right. The problem isn't Solipsism per se - the original article is confusing and should be clarified. There was no reason to even mention the phrase "vista ribbon" - it adds nothing to the story except for unnecessary confusion.
  • Reply 71 of 119
    To clear some things from the article up:

The Ribbon was not introduced with Vista but with Office 2007 for PC. The Ribbon UI is officially called Fluent-UI which is more than just the tabbed bar at the top but a lot of other UI changes.

The Ribbon is now the new standard GUI for Windows apps. MS has introduced it to some Windows 7 apps and will deliver it with the new version of the Windows Live Essentials apps (think of iPhoto and Mail).

The main difference between the Ribbon UI in Office 2011 for Mac is that the Ribbon is just one of 3 GUI metaphors used in one suite! There is the menu bar, the new Ribbon and even the old floating format palettes.

The Fluent-UI (terrible name!) on Windows on the other hand is JUST the Ribbon. There are no more menus! No more floating windows! And you even can collapse the Ribbon, haven't seen this on the new Mac version yet.

I was very skeptical about the Ribbon introduced 3 years ago. But after using it I really have to say that it is the best GUI to date for complex apps. But it is not right for every kind of software. I'm again very skeptical if it is good to give the Windows Live Photo Gallery (it's like iPhoto on the PC) this UI.
  • Reply 72 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I wonder what's supposed to happen when I click the floppy disk icon?

Does the program generate a little whirring/clicking noise, just for nostalgia's sake?

(C'mon, MacBU, it's Two Thousand And Ten already!)

You really have no idea what an icon is. Haven't you seen the "phone" icon on the iPhone? Or the "iPod" icon on the iPad? They are all legacy shapes because people know what these old shapes mean. That is the idea behind icons. Scissors are another example of that for the "cut" command.
  • Reply 73 of 119
    Who really is interested in why and how the Ribbon was born may want to watch this entertaining presentation:

http://videos.visitmix.com/MIX08/UX09

It may change some opinions about IF it was a good idea.
  • Reply 74 of 119
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Pointless, so I erased it
  • Reply 75 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Give it up. You are wrong about Windows Office 2007 requiring Vista to have the ribbon interface.

Solipsism quotes directly MS website & AngusYoung states solipsism is wrong.

If AngusYoung statement is true, then MS website is necessarily wrong.

Now, we all know MS is well known for its lies (Vista capable court cases for example) and incompetence, hence it is very likely MS website contains at least one lie and consequently it is wrong.

Ergo: AngusYoung must be telling the true. MS website (and products) are unreliable and their website presents lies and misleading statements.

Solipsism, why are you fighting against this? I think AngusYoung is correct. MS website is not reliable, nor its products.
  • Reply 76 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Microsoft's graphic designers are third-rate. What is up with those nasty icons?

I guess I'm one of the few Mac users here that actually likes this new design. But I guess that's in part to the fact that I've always thought that was the one product Microsoft was good at and that's it's Office suite. I can't wait for this to be released.
  • Reply 77 of 119
    Quote:

Give it up. You are wrong about Windows Office 2007 requiring Vista to have the ribbon interface.

Solipsism quotes directly MS website & AngusYoung states solipsism is wrong.

If AngusYoung statement is true, then MS website is necessarily wrong.

Now, we all know MS is well known for its lies (Vista capable court cases for example) and incompetence, hence it is very likely MS website contains at least one lie and consequently it is wrong.

Ergo: AngusYoung must be telling the true. MS website (and products) are unreliable and their website presents lies and misleading statements.

Solipsism, why are you fighting against this? I think AngusYoung is correct. MS website is not reliable, nor its products.
  • Reply 78 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Outlook for Mac! Sweet. Outlook Express was my favourite OS 9 email client. I know they are not the same program, but it is enough to make me download the demo (whenever that is).

I only hope it is easy to use for a home user with Internet email, and not only designed for Office/Corporate LAN use.

As long as it is better than the outlook I have on my work pc. Jeeaz, it takes a minute or so to search emails. Mac mail is instantaneous. The calender is also lame...
  • Reply 79 of 119
    drudru Posts: 43member
    (deleted)
  • Reply 80 of 119
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    Quote:

Do you ever get tired of being proved wrong?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...668651033.aspx

" Note The 2007 Microsoft Office system programs client is a 32-bit application and can run on a Windows 64-bit platform (Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista) but there may be some feature limitations as noted in the system requirements below."

I'm sorry to say that this is completely true. I use Office 2007, ribbon and all, every day on my Win XP computer at work (and it sucks, sucks, sucks).