Islam not a religion, according to California schools

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Several reports indicate that the curriculum is widespread in California schools. Supposedly the city council of this school district was not aware of this three week study until this news report was published.

"The course mandates that seventh-graders learn the tenets of Islam, study the important figures of the faith, wear a robe, adopt a Muslim name and stage their own jihad. Adding to this apparent hypocrisy, reports ANS, students must memorize many verses in the Koran, are taught to pray "in the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful" and are instructed to chant, "Praise to Allah, Lord of Creation.""

<a href="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25997"; target="_blank">http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25997</a>;

Admittedly, this is a "conservative" website whose source is a Christian website. Although the textbook is widely used in California, this particular school district supplemented the material with handouts. (Byron, California is a small town east of San Francisco Bay.)

Note: the thread title refers to the separation of church and state issue.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Skipjack ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    "We can't even mention the name of Jesus in the public schools," Lemings laments, "but ... they teach Islam as the true religion, and students are taught about Islam and how to pray to Allah. Can you imagine the barrage of lawsuits and problems we would have from the ACLU if Christianity were taught in the public schools, and if we tried to teach about the contributions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the Apostle Paul? But when it comes to furthering the Islamic religion in the public schools, there is not one word from the ACLU, People for the American Way or anybody else. This is hypocrisy." (from the article)

This is a very excellent point. This is where political correctness has brought us. Please all you liberals on these boards *cough*nostradomus*cough* please tell your opinion of this, I would love to hear it.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    The article also begins with:

In the wake of Sept. 11, an increasing number of California public school students must attend an intensive three-week course on Islam

and later:

Nancy Castro, principal of Intermediate-Excelsior School of Byron, told ANS that the Islam course (included within "History of Culture") reflects California educational standards. Castro maintains the course "is not religion, but ancient culture and history. We do not endorse any religion; we just make students aware." Castro further emphasized the course textbook is in use throughout California.

It's something new Skipjack, which, intentionally or not, is different from what your post implies.

If the students are forced to pray, then it should be stopped. If it's a comparative religious studies course, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If its just information about Islam, I would have no problem with it.

Though I think it would be a good idea to question the veracity of the article because of its Christian colored glasses until there is more information of what's going on.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: THT ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 34
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Just as long as those enlightened California Educators make sure no one pledges allegiance to the flag, or prays to themselves before lunch...that would be wrong.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Please all you liberals on these boards *cough*nostradomus*cough* please tell your opinion of this, I would love to hear it.</strong><hr></blockquote>After 9/11 it seems pretty important to me to learn more about Islam.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>After 9/11 it seems pretty important to me to learn more about Islam.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why learn such a shitty religion where they treat their women as second class? I am armenian (christian) and my family comes from Islamic countries and they know first hand.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: corvette ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by THT:

[QB]The article also begins with:

It's something new Skipjack, which, intentionally or not, is different from what your post implies.

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, the first sentence of the article is a bit of sensationalism. I have heard many reports from people in different parts of California that this program has been in effect for at least two years. I have also heard that it is codified in the standard California curricula. I don't have anything to back that up right now, but I do some searching for first hand documentation.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    If teaching Christianity in public schools is wrong, then teaching Islam or Hinduism or any other religion in public schools is wrong too. Just because it's a "foreign" religion doesn't make it OK.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Please all you liberals on these boards *cough*nostradomus*cough* please tell your opinion of this, I would love to hear it. <hr></blockquote>

My opinion is that NO RELIGION should be taught in PUBLIC schools. None. Zip. Nada. No teaching, no prayer, NOTHING that is associated with religion at all. That means that there should be no prayer at sporting events, or anything related to the school, etc. Mentioning the 'historical' aspects of these religions is different, but wearing their clothes, saying their prayers, and memorizing the lines of the Koran is WRONG. Not only is it wrong, but it is ILLEGAL. Don't push your religion/beliefs on me, and I won't push my religion/beliefs on you.

Complete seperation of Church and State is the ONLY way that this issue should be resolved.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Compare this with the specifics of Islam reported in the article. (Note: The link also shows what is supposed to be taught about other religions. Everything is supposed to be in an historical/cultural context. Perhaps it is only this particular school district which is taking it to an extreme. Any first hand knowledge out there?)

<a href="http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/history/grade7.html"; target="_blank">http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/history/grade7.html</a>;

7.2 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of Islam in the Middle Ages.

1. Identify the physical features and describe the climate of the Arabian peninsula, its relationship to surrounding bodies of land and water, and nomadic and sedentary ways of life.

2. Trace the origins of Islam and the life and teachings of Muhammad, including Islamic teachings on the connection with Judaism and Christianity.

3. Explain the significance of the Qur'an and the Sunnah as the primary sources of Islamic beliefs, practice, and law, and their influence in Muslims' daily life.

4. Discuss the expansion of Muslim rule through military conquests and treaties, emphasizing the cultural blending within Muslim civilization and the spread and acceptance of Islam and the Arabic language.

5. Describe the growth of cities and the establishment of trade routes among Asia, Africa, and Europe, the products and inventions that traveled along these routes (e.g., spices, textiles, paper, steel, new crops), and the role of merchants in Arab society.

6. Understand the intellectual exchanges among Muslim scholars of Eurasia and Africa and the contributions Muslim scholars made to later civilizations in the areas of science, geography, mathematics, philosophy, medicine, art, and literature
  • Reply 10 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's ALL or NOTHING. ALL religions should be taught, or NO religions are taught. I don't want my kids praying to no 'Allah' either or making Virgin Mary saints. It's the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids about religion. It's a family heritage and should stay where it belongs, IN THE HOME. Thanks for listening.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Fran, so that means there must be no "Christmas Concert" or "Easter Break"? I notice that the schools make very sure they say that we have breaks for the "holidays" and not Christmas, but don't hesitate to tell us we are off for Yom Kippur or whatever.

It seems the white/male/wealthy/christian folks in our country are the ones who are discriminated against.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Fran, so that means there must be no "Christmas Concert" or "Easter Break"?<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. No Christmas concerts sponsored by schools. Holiday concerts are fine, but religious songs are not. I don't know about this 'Easter Break' you refer to, but Easter is on a Sunday, so it shouldn't make a difference if you have no school or not, right??

I went to school in Massachusetts too, but I never had any religious holidays 'off'. If you notice the trend in MA, there is 10 weeks of school followed by Thanksgiving, 6 weeks of school until the Holiday Break, 8 weeks until the Winter Break, 8 weeks until the Spring break, and 8 weeks until the summer break. That's time off about every 8 weeks or so.

I never personally had school off because of a religious holiday. It is a definite violation of the seperation of church and state. (I don't care if you personally decide to take the holiday off yourselves either, but that's up to you, not the school).

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 34
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    What the hell is easter break??? I am all for religion being taught in schools. But just discussing what they are about and how they are different and stuff like that. I don't think they should be praying to Allah or anything like that like the article says. And I think it is important that Americans learn about Islam but if they do, the schools need to teach about other religions too.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Like it or not, the Pledge of Allegiance is an interesting topic to argue about.

"One nation, under God?"

That statement takes care of monotheists only. What about polytheists, atheists, agnostics, pantheists and others?

Why must I be forced to recite it ever day in public school? That seems a bit fascist to me...a lot like brainwashing...
  • Reply 15 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    this is sad.

why are you so worried about God being mentioned in a school? oh my. it's not what I worship. who gives a crap. its the pledge of allegience.

political correctness is bullshit.

BTW, i want to know why NYC public schools get off EVERY jewish holiday yet they don't get off for holy days of obligatin for christians?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Your kids have the right to NOT say the pledge. They can't force you.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    As I recall, the pledge of allegiance did not have the "under God" part in it until the 1950s. It use to be "...one nation, indivisible..." Same thing with "In God We Trust" being put on all of US currency by 1950 too. Weird to see a bill between 1930 and 1950 where the 1930 one doesn't have "In God We Trust" in it. It's sort of amazing that the government used to be more secular in some ways in the past then in it is now.

There is a difference between what we are talking about. Teaching religion in a historical context (cultural studies) is of vital importance to a person's education. It should be done. "Teaching" religion in the context of practicing it is unconstitutional in a public forum. It obviously shouldn't be done.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    It's not the even the allusion to religion in the Pledge of Allegiance I mind. It's the whole thing. When in history have we seen droning recitations of patriotic rhetoric or other such nonsense.

In elementary school was the last place where I was obliged to recite it, but that's not really the point. Has it kept me aligned with this country's greater goals? i don't think it has. If it has, it would be brainswashing...and I think it's pretty darn close to it regardless of how successful a method it is.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>It's not the even the allusion to religion in the Pledge of Allegiance I mind. It's the whole thing. When in history have we seen droning recitations of patriotic rhetoric or other such nonsense.

In elementary school was the last place where I was obliged to recite it, but that's not really the point. Has it kept me aligned with this country's greater goals? i don't think it has. If it has, it would be brainswashing...and I think it's pretty darn close to it regardless of how successful a method it is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it's only "brainwashing" to those who don't understand it and who say it for no reason other than it has to be said. perhaps you should have said it like you meant it instead of looking upon it as a chore
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Ah, so I don't understand it and I'm too dumb and/or careless to discover its inner grace and greater significance. Thank you for attempting to enlighten me. Okay, smartypants, what does it mean to you???

Let me have you call back upon history to illustrate my point. In which regimes are these chorelike recitations, chants and readings most common and famous?

I'd rather have my patriotism defined by my individual beliefs...not a ritualistic incantation.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>