Apple accused of violating multi-touch patent in ITC complaint

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

That's right, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Hawking are all clearly inferior to Steve, who is the only person in the history of the universe that has ever done anything remotely innovate or novel. We should pass patent reform that exempts Apple from any sort of patent suit because Apple so innovative. We all know that Kodak is a patent troll and that Apple invented photography as well as digital photography and thus Kodak has no basis whatsoever for suing Apple.

That should keep my AAPL stock moving up.

Do you think Steve Jobs and Al Gore could talk to Obama and his Dem buddies, esp Pelosi in California? They're a majority and with the right maneuvers, they can pass any law they want, right?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

For example - I cannot file a patent along the lines of - a device for the apprehension of and subsequent detainment of members of the order of Rodentia and expect to sue anyway who makes a mouse trap. On the other hand, if I have very specific idea of how to combine a spring and a clamp and a bar and base etc to effect said apprehension and detainment - then I can get a patent on a specific design for a mouse trap - regardless of whether I even in fact actually manufacture such a device.

If someone decides to make a mouse trap that uses my design but they change the physical dimensions and use plastic instead of metal for this part or that then I may have a patent suit. however, if my design is a spring loaded bait triggered thin metal bar I would not expect to be able to sue the guy who comes up with a two part plastic jaw with angled interlocking teeth triggered by a floor plate with a concealed spring instead of a bait loaded trigger.

Seems like you've thought much about Rodentia.

Seriously, you're right about patents but nobody really knows until the court rules.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It says Elan previously sued Apple over the same patents. What was the disposition of the original suit and why are they suing again?

Apart from that it is kind of interesting that that Elan is suing Apple so soon after Apple sued HTC over similar matters. Makes you wonder if there is something going on between Elan and HTC.

Elan sued Apple in Federal court in April 2009. The suit is in process, though Apple hasn't mentioned it in its 10-K/Q. This process can take more than 3 years to come to a decision.

This suit is via the International Trade Commission. It's basically a second path, and it goes a bit faster than the other one - projected about 16 months total. So companies are beginning to go this way, or take both paths. Nokia sued Apple using both avenues and Apple countersued using both. Apple sued HTC using both avenues.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

That's true, Edison stole much of his technology (see lightbulb), but Apple is so much better at it.....

A vast overstatement, but what the hell, close enough for an AI thread I guess.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

These patent whores will never give up, will they? They think that Apple is easy pickings!

The fact is, Apple is the most innovative company in the history of the world. Edison's got NOTHING on Steve!

So these patent whores need to go away and innovate, or just keep quiet!

Typical Apple fan response. OK for Apple to sue everyone but let someone sue Apple..

Face it, there are no honorable among the business community anymore it's everyone out to get everyone else.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It says Elan previously sued Apple over the same patents. What was the disposition of the original suit and why are they suing again?

Apart from that it is kind of interesting that that Elan is suing Apple so soon after Apple sued HTC over similar matters. Makes you wonder if there is something going on between Elan and HTC.

Interesting question. Also, I thought that Apple was just recently (finally) granted the multitouch patent?
  • Reply 27 of 52
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Typical Apple fan response. OK for Apple to sue everyone but let someone sue Apple..

Face it, there are no honorable among the business community anymore it's everyone out to get everyone else.

That response wasn't actually from an Apple fan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interesting question. Also, I thought that Apple was just recently (finally) granted the multitouch patent?

Yes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10150436-37.html
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10150436-37.html

Thanks. Then I wonder what this suit is all about. Maybe it will be tossed.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

If its true that if you post while you are BANNED you are BANNED forever, then when is going to happen to AppleRulez. The troll is on my ignore list but it keeps coming up when other people respond to its post.

It is not possible to post when you are banned. The AppleInsider forum software is THAT good!
  • Reply 30 of 52
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Does anyone know why these companies decide to file so many years after the patent has been filed? This Elan patent was from 2007. MS is getting sued over a 2005 patent and so on..

Does it simply take that long to determine whether that device is using the same patented tech?

Pure economics. It costs around a minimum of $1 million to prosecute a patent claim. There has to be enough economic damage to justify these costs as economic damages (lost sales, portion of margins earned by the infringer, etc. ) are the typical judgement given the successful plaintiff. It takes time to establish that there are large enough economic damages to justify the enforcement attempt.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Everyone know Apple invented multi-touch and has patent. Who are these patent trolls???
  • Reply 32 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    This is an excellent article to read up on Apple Multi-touch patents.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...echnology.html
  • Reply 33 of 52
    I've read the patent and INAL but this patent seems to be describing a method for manufacturing in touch screens:The present invention relates to a combination circuit for detecting the layout in a flat panel with thin film transistor processed during array manufacturing process. This method conducts in a prior art short-ring layout and shorting-bar layoutso that the designing of the panel layout will not limited to the detection facility so as to promote the yield and reduce the cost.

I'm not sure how Apple would be violating the patent since they aren't manufacturing the screens but sourcing them from someone else. Unless the method Apple's supplier is using is exactly like the one described by the patent and Apple designed the touch screen method, I don't see how Apple is on the hook. I would think the supplier would be the one under the gun.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

It is not possible to post when you are banned. The AppleInsider forum software is THAT good!

What are you getting out of these discussions? What does being banned from a forum like this say to you?

There's more to life than coming here to start arguments over nothing. If you can point out genuine talking points then go ahead, but I'm pretty sure you don't get banned for that (I'm still here afterall.)
  • Reply 35 of 52
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

That is funniest comment I have ever read on any forum.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Everyone know Apple invented multi-touch and has patent. Who are these patent trolls???

Another Techstud/iGenius/iLuv alt.

• Reply 37 of 52
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It's ironic that people in this forum praise apple for suing over multitouch, but when they get sued over multitouch, then the opponent is evil and a patent troll.

Hypocrisy is strong in this one.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

These patent whores will never give up, will they? They think that Apple is easy pickings!

The fact is, Apple is the most innovative company in the history of the world. Edison's got NOTHING on Steve!

Edison had 1093 patents approved and had filed another 600+ which were not approved or never followed up on and completed.

Apple has ~2000.

Most of Edison's were actually unique and pcompletely different than anything else (even if he stole the ideas, he got them working ).

Most of Apple's are similar to other patents though obviously different enough to get approved.

Most of Edison's patents were for actual devices he designed and built himself.

Many of Apple's patents are for a certain way of doing something and most (all?) include more than one person.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes I know - i could not find the appropriate hyperbole emoticon....
  • Reply 40 of 52
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It's ironic that people in this forum praise apple for suing over multitouch, but when they get sued over multitouch, then the opponent is evil and a patent troll.

Hypocrisy is strong in this one.

You're correct, but then again, this is an Apple biased forum.

However, the general commitment around here to dismiss every lawsuit against Apple, but to praise every lawsuit that Apple initiates...well...